Which MS Office for a one off purchase?

Question

MS Office seems to be different now to when i last looked at it. Subscription fees, ongoing payments ... not something i'm ever really interested in. I prefer one off payments. Buy it and it's yours.

I currently have MS Office 2010. At some point in the near future, since we're on lock down and i've little else to do, i'll be preparing my PC to move from W7 to W10. I was considering a newer MS Office in the process but first off, i don't want anything subscription based.

What should i be looking at in that case?

Then we get on to questions 2 & 3...

2) What would that version give me over MS Office 2010

3) Do i even need it, or rather would it be beneficial over MS Office 2010?

Just to add in, those keys you normally see for £12 or whatever are normally a business MAK (single key that can be used multiple times by a business) key that aren't really legal to use.

Which is why usually those sites will all get you to phone the activation hotline to force through an activation.

Just my two pence here :)

7 hours ago, Technique said:

Thanks.

Googling comparisons between 2010 and 2019 i'm not really sure what 2019 gives me over 2019 other than 'new stuff' that i actually probably wont need based on what i use the office suite for. If i was a suit & tie business guy then maybe but i'm not. On that note it may be better then that i just stick with 2010 but i thought i'd at least look in to an alternative.

If i can acquire 2019 cheaply like i did with 2010 then maybe but otherwise probably not.

Regards the support, i'm not totally sure why that'd be a big issue for someone like me. I just create a few documents and spreadsheets here and there. Perhaps it would become an issue if i was using Outlook which i may or may not do when i shift to W10. I'm more than happy with Windows Live Mail and since Thunderbird looks a lot like WLM, i'll probably opt for that.

Still, thanks for the feedback.

If you want to ... you can still use Office 2010 until 13 October or so ... technically until 13 November.

... You can use it beyond that if you do not care about the support ... but you risk potential issues related to security.

However ... I am not aware of actual security improvements made to later versions ... ( such that protected view as an example is not known to be strengthened in 2019 vs. Office 2010 ).

Regards the security, genuine question - in what way would/could that be an issue to me?

I create a document, i save a document, i may print a document and i may email a document.

Occasionally i may receive a document but these will be from trusted sources (such as from my employer).

If some random Joe sends me an email with an attachment saying something like - links to hot babezzzzz inside, click now then obviously i'm not clicking that. That gets deleted straight away. Same with anything saying click this for your bank details. If it looks like an important notice then i'll open up a browser and access my bank account directly through that to see if it's legit and not a click-link.

Just curious how security would or could be an issue in my situation. I'm not implying it isn't, just asking how it could be.

Hello,

After October 13, 2020, Office 2010 will no longer receive security updates.  Even though you may only be opening documents from trusted sources, it could always contain some kind of exploit that your old copy of Microsoft Office 2010 is vulnerable to.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 4/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, Technique said:

Regards the security, genuine question - in what way would/could that be an issue to me?

I create a document, i save a document, i may print a document and i may email a document.

Occasionally i may receive a document but these will be from trusted sources (such as from my employer).

If some random Joe sends me an email with an attachment saying something like - links to hot babezzzzz inside, click now then obviously i'm not clicking that. That gets deleted straight away. Same with anything saying click this for your bank details. If it looks like an important notice then i'll open up a browser and access my bank account directly through that to see if it's legit and not a click-link.

Just curious how security would or could be an issue in my situation. I'm not implying it isn't, just asking how it could be.

You go to a webpage that has embedded some functionality via script that calls a DLL within an unpatched, out of date, instance of Office...

Point being: you don’t have to physically open “My Resume.doc.exe” to get an infection...