• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PLEASE HELP - NEW BUILT PC - Not displaying (no post?) PC running.

Recommended Posts

Fleapea    1
Posted (edited)

Built my PC yesterday. Worked fine. Identified all components - updated everything.. and drivers.

 

Ran GMOD fine... But I did experience some *crashes?* when loading into World Of Tanks.

I managed to quickly get into the game and change settings from Ultra to High...

Lasted around 4 mins before again crashing

The crash included the monitors loosing signal... the PC was still running.. the fans were turned to a much higher speed  - Forcing me to hold the case power until it turned off.

 

This happened about 4/5 times...

 

THEN - I turned the PC on from one of these crashes... it runs (still does)... it detects a HDMI signal but does not display anything.

 

I DID attempt to restart the cmos - with a paper clip on the jbat1.

 

Anyone have simular situation or any solutions/suggestions?

I'm a bit ###### off.. brand new PC and I have tried ALOT of things.

Edited by Fleapea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kalkal    564

Checked for a decent thermal paste coating? Is the CPU fan fixed correctly?

 

If these are ok, try running with all fans maxed out via BIOS, see how your miliage then?

 

Also, use something like HWmonitor or openhardware monitor to keep an eye on temps, assuming it doesn't crash before hand, even MSI afterburner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    14,983

Probably would be helpful to know the basic specs (motherboard, CPU, GPU).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,176

Could be your PSU or GPU going.... Like Jim said, post your computer specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fleapea    1
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, kalkal said:

Checked for a decent thermal paste coating? Is the CPU fan fixed correctly?

 

If these are ok, try running with all fans maxed out via BIOS, see how your miliage then?

 

Also, use something like HWmonitor or openhardware monitor to keep an eye on temps, assuming it doesn't crash before hand, even MSI afterburner

I did check the thermal paste...

Heres some pictures of cpu cooler and cpu paste. - It was pretty runny/goey...

 

https://ibb.co/xLrRFVv
https://ibb.co/XDWGTWp
https://ibb.co/wBKTJdv

 

Ah yeah and... I cant actually get into the BIOS... nothing loads up :(

Am getting my friend to try his GPU in my PC to see if my GPU crashed from game crashing...

Edited by Fleapea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fleapea    1
26 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Probably would be helpful to know the basic specs (motherboard, CPU, GPU).  

 

16 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Could be your PSU or GPU going.... Like Jim said, post your computer specs.

Sorry guys.

 

PSU - Corsair CV550 Bronze 550W Power Supply

GPU - MSI Radeon RX 570 Armor OC 4GB

MOBO - MSI A320M-A Pro Max Motherboard

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF Processor with Wraith Spire

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL16 DDR4

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fleapea    1

UPDATE: My mate came over and put his graphics card in - works fine! just like before the crashing.

 

Going to test my GPU in his computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fleapea    1

Same issue - my graphics card in friend's working PC

 

Warranty time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,176
20 minutes ago, Fleapea said:

UPDATE: My mate came over and put his graphics card in - works fine! just like before the crashing.

 

Going to test my GPU in his computer.

Was gunna say that, but... now I don't have to. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riggers    203

Just looking at getting an RX 570 from ebay, was this a new or second hand card? The fact you can send it back makes me think new , but no harm in asking :) Apparently these cards are/were quite popular with the mining community...

 

It could still be the power supply though [drawing to much power], I had a dodgy one last week which would sometimes cause a reboot when the screen came back on, only changed the RAM, CPU and hard drive before the PSU though 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,176
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Riggers said:

It could still be the power supply though [drawing to much power], I had a dodgy one last week which would sometimes cause a reboot when the screen came back on, only changed the RAM, CPU and hard drive before the PSU though 🙄

PSU's don't "draw too much power". They provide enough power to what the device needs. I have a 1200W, and it's not overvolting my system. It's when they provide negative energy, is where it can break anything it is connected to.

 

But, his PSU isn't some name brand we never heard of. The Corsair CV is on the lower spectrum, but due to his system, it should work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riggers    203

I think you know I meant the system potentially drawing to much power...anyway something for the poster to ponder if it does it again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,312
Posted (edited)

- Check to make sure all power supply cables are connected and seated to motherboard 

- Check RAM by using only one module, if more than one and not still not powering up, try another single module.

- Check video card is seated correctly/correctly plugged in to power supply. Try another video card?

- Check heat sink/fans

- Make sure cpu is seated correctly. 

- Make sure power supply is sufficient for component power draw.

 

If all that looks good, remove everything from motherboard, and reinstall. 

 

If that still doesn't work, RMA motherboard and graphics card. I always buy a board/cpu with onboard graphics, even if I'm getting a video card to rule things out during troubleshooting.

Edited by shockz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,176
2 hours ago, shockz said:

- Check to make sure all power supply cables are connected and seated to motherboard 

- Check RAM by using only one module, if more than one and not still not powering up, try another single module.

- Check video card is seated correctly/correctly plugged in to power supply. Try another video card?

- Check heat sink/fans

- Make sure cpu is seated correctly. 

- Make sure power supply is sufficient for component power draw.

 

If all that looks good, remove everything from motherboard, and reinstall. 

 

If that still doesn't work, RMA motherboard and graphics card. I always buy a board/cpu with onboard graphics, even if I'm getting a video card to rule things out during troubleshooting.

Shockz, he already solved it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.