Pc problem

I built this pc like 2 years ago and when I turn it on the all the fans turn on but the gpu fan stops spinning after around 5 seconds, and only my keyboard gets power out of all the things I have connected to the USB ports. No display. My mouse gets no power. 

Gtx 1060 3gb Evga SC

AMD ryzen 5 1500x

8gb ram ddr4 ballistix sport

Asus prime B350m-A

EVGA 550w b3 80+ bronze 

WD blue 2tb

250gb evo plus ssd

GPU fans shut down when not overheating. it's a new thing with 10XX cards.

Did you make sure you plugged in your PCI-e power cord?

Also, are you connecting the monitor to the card, or onboard? (it happens)

Yes the pci-e power cord is connected 

and I have the monitor connected to the card via vga with a hdmi to vga adapter. 

Edit: it’s a vga to hdmi adapter

My monitor is pretty old

Edited by Dv6

Just now, Dv6 said:

and I have the monitor connected to the card via vga with a hdmi to vga adapter. 

is this a converter box you're using? this might be your issue if not setup correctly.

HDMI is a digital signal where VGA is an analog signal so the signal needs converted in the middle. most solutions are one way or shoddy. (one way as VGA to HDMI conversion but not reverse or HDMI to VGA but not reverse. so you'd need the right directional cord)

I would pull the addon vid card and boot with the onboard display just to see/check and make sure the PC is booting correctly and loading windows.  (I am guessing you are not getting a display at this point)  If that does not work, then you have a bigger issue than the addon vid card. 

Edit:  Did anything change to cause this issue?  OR just one day it would not boot properly?

Edited by techbeck

My bad I am using a vga to hdmi adapter I don’t know if that changes anything

Yes I don’t get any display 

This problem has been going on for about a month but I finally decided to get some help because I wasn’t getting anywhere with trying to fix it

before this I had problems  where the pc would start booting for some seconds then turn off

My keyboard is the only thing getting power that is connected to the pc. 

2 minutes ago, Dv6 said:

My bad I am using a vga to hdmi adapter I don’t know if that changes anything

Yes I don’t get any display 

This problem has been going on for about a month but I finally decided to get some help because I wasn’t getting anywhere with trying to fix it

before this I had problems  where the pc would start booting for some seconds then turn off

My keyboard is the only thing getting power that is connected to the pc. 

Pull the a ddon card and boot with the onboard video.  IF that works, then I would say the addon card is the issue. 

If still does not work, then you have a bigger issue.  I would start by disconnecting everything but the power cord, PSU, memory, and motherboard.   If the system works without anything connected, then add back in components one by one until you find the problem component.

Could be bad memory as well. I would start with reseating the memory and seeing if that works.  If you have multiple mem cards, then pull one and test each individually.

IF still an issue, then I would look at the motherboard/PSU.  Both could also be causes of random power offs or the system not booting at all.

35 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I would pull the addon vid card and boot with the onboard display just to see/check and make sure the PC is booting correctly and loading windows.  (I am guessing you are not getting a display at this point)  If that does not work, then you have a bigger issue than the addon vid card. 

Edit:  Did anything change to cause this issue?  OR just one day it would not boot properly?

AMD 5 1500 doesn't have an APU

Try using a DVI to VGA adapter. Yes, DVI and HDMI are the same digital stream, but some "old" monitors have a problem with HDMI

https://www.amazon.com/female-adapter-connector-monitor-screen/dp/B085MH935N/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dvi+to+vga+adapter&qid=1587060197&s=hi&sr=1-2

1 minute ago, Dv6 said:

I tried booting with onboard display and there is still no display . 

That's because the 1500 has no APU... So onboard wouldn't work.

14 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's because the 1500 has no APU... So onboard wouldn't work.

Pics I see online, the Asus prime B350m-A motherboard has a VGA connection.

If the PC worked before and then started turning off randomly, then I do not think the video card is the issue.  I would look closer to mem, mobo, psu

Edited by techbeck

15 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Pull the a ddon card and boot with the onboard video.  IF that works, then I would say the addon card is the issue. 

If still does not work, then you have a bigger issue.  I would start by disconnecting everything but the power cord, PSU, memory, and motherboard.   If the system works without anything connected, then add back in components one by one until you find the problem component.

Could be bad memory as well. I would start with reseating the memory and seeing if that works.  If you have multiple mem cards, then pull one and test each individually.

IF still an issue, then I would look at the motherboard/PSU.  Both could also be causes of random power offs or the system not booting at all.

I disconnected everything except motherboard, psu, and memory. Yes I did reseat the memory it didn’t work. Still no display or mouse getting power. I think it’s a problem with the psu 

1 minute ago, Dv6 said:

I disconnected everything except motherboard, psu, and memory. Yes I did reseat the memory it didn’t work. Still no display or mouse getting power. I think it’s a problem with the psu 

PSU, memory, or motherboard could be my bet.  Have a spare PSU laying around?  If not, just buy replacement memory/PSU and you can return them if needed.

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

PSU, memory, or motherboard could be my bet.  Have a spare PSU laying around?  If not, just buy replacement memory/PSU and you can return them if needed.

Ok I will do that 

Thank you guys for the help

10 minutes ago, Dv6 said:

What psu do you recommend getting 

EVGA makes PSUs to.  I have used these before and never had an issue with them.  Corsair is also good IMO.

37 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Pics I see online, the Asus prime B350m-A motherboard has a VGA connection.

If the PC worked before and then started turning off randomly, then I do not think the video card is the issue.  I would look closer to mem, mobo, psu

Even if the board has a VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP port, It will not work with a Ryzen CPU UNLESS it has an APU.

Only the 2400 and 3400 (5 varient) have an APU.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Even if the board has a VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP port, It will not work with a Ryzen CPU UNLESS it has an APU.

Only the 2400 and 3400 (5 varient) have an APU.

Ahh, well, personally in 20yrs, I never had an issue with a video card causing random shutdowns or power off shortly after powering on.  Normally PSU, mem, or mobo.

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

Ahh, well, personally in 20yrs, I never had an issue with a video card causing random shutdowns or power off shortly after powering on.  Normally PSU, mem, or mobo.

I never said it was the GPU that was causing this problem.

I don't think you know about APU's. It's inside your CPU. It turns on, makes possible, your onboard video. Nothing to do with his GPU.

I am betting on his PSU as well. With his GPU, that 550W is cutting it a little short. Seasonic or Corsair might be a cheaper option for him. EVGA are usually more expensive. (but I do agree, EVGA has awesome support)

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I never said it was the GPU that was causing this problem.

I don't think you know about APU's. It's inside your CPU. It turns on, makes possible, your onboard video. Nothing to do with his GPU.

I am betting on his PSU as well. With his GPU, that 550W is cutting it a little short. Seasonic or Corsair might be a cheaper option for him. EVGA are usually more expensive. (but I do agree, EVGA has awesome support)

Sorry, was not saying you thought it was the GPU.  I just mentioned it since a few others were pointing at it.  But in my experience, GPU/vid card does not cause these issues.

I have a 1000w PSU sitting in a box at home.  EVGA.  If I every build another PC, I will use it.  But I had it for a while and rick solid.

4 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Sorry, was not saying you thought it was the GPU.  I just mentioned it since a few others were pointing at it.  But in my experience, GPU/vid card does not cause these issues.

I have a 1000w PSU sitting in a box at home.  EVGA.  If I every build another PC, I will use it.  But I had it for a while and rick solid.

Well, you quoted me, so I assumed it was against me. :rolleyes:

As you can see in my sig, I have a 1200W by Thermaltake. I got a good sale on it. 😉 

"rick" LOL

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, you quoted me, so I assumed it was against me. :rolleyes:

As you can see in my sig, I have a 1200W by Thermaltake. I got a good sale on it. 😉 

"rick" LOL

Why I apologized.  😊  and damn the typos.

• Haha 1