When was recognition of objects added for search in Windows 10 ?

I think there is recognition of certain objects ( it is possible to search for in file explorer, say, 'red' and photos of that color will return regardless of directory or metadata ) but it is very suboptimal.

Was this added in 1909 ?

I do not think that it has been documented any where. It is not here for example https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1909

3 hours ago, neufuse said:

didnt the photos app do this for a long time now?

The Photos app, yes, but not File Explorer ( the latter about which I am inquiring ).

The results of the two are not even consistent ( such that a search for 'waterfalls' shows results in Photos but not in File Explorer; however, the same cannot be said for, say, a search for 'red' which returns similar results ).

Another example of inconsistency is that there is no OCR of files in File Explorer but there is OCR of photos in the Photos app.

The implementations are all over the place.

6 hours ago, waysidesc said:

The Photos app, yes, but not File Explorer ( the latter about which I am inquiring ).

The results of the two are not even consistent ( such that a search for 'waterfalls' shows results in Photos but not in File Explorer; however, the same cannot be said for, say, a search for 'red' which returns similar results ).

Another example of inconsistency is that there is no OCR of files in File Explorer but there is OCR of photos in the Photos app.

The implementations are all over the place.

yes, but my point is they have search interops in the photo app that let you search in windows what is indexed in it also

36 minutes ago, neufuse said:

yes, but my point is they have search interops in the photo app that let you search in windows what is indexed in it also

I am not seeing really any interoperability between Photos and the Shell ...

When you search for red, what does it return - photos with red in them?  A file with the word red in it as text..

The info indexed is an a database - yes you can search this database outside of the photo application, ie from the shell.

4 hours ago, BudMan said:

When you search for red, what does it return - photos with red in them?  A file with the word red in it as text..

The info indexed is an a database - yes you can search this database outside of the photo application, ie from the shell.

It returns photos with the color red.

I know it is indexed in a database... What Photos does is locked to Photos and not really available to the Shell. At one point in time there was the intent to do away with such silos.

The implementation here really is haphazardly slapped together.

Going back to OCR, for example. Photos can do this; File Explorer cannot.

1 hour ago, waysidesc said:

The implementation here really is haphazardly slapped together.

Its windows - how else would they do it ;) heheheeheheh ROFL!!! Are you new to using MS in general?  Or you just playing capt obvious with that statement??

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

Its windows - how else would they do it ;) heheheeheheh ROFL!!! Are you new to using MS in general?  Or you just playing capt obvious with that statement??

You are joking, right ? I would not have thought that this is how Microsoft operated, it haphazardly creating disparate app implementations of the same feature.

Why in the world do users put up with such nonsense ? Where is the quality ? Where is the consistency ? The attention to detail ? The plan ?

Is there even a vision ?

It is inexpressibly stupid that earlier versions of Windows ... with OneNote 2007 and later ... that users could search for OCR'd content and get results from the File Explorer ... but the same does not happen when searching for a simple photo in Photos for File Explorer in Windows 10. Oh sure, it will get returned when searched for in the app itself, but not from File Explorer. And then there is the travesty that is OneDrive online, which does perform OCR on photos, but the native desktop client provides no such versatility ! Or the travesty that is photo albums created by Photos not being accessible from File Explorer for real.

A so-called outdated app in no-longer-supported operating systems provides a better search experience for OCR in photos --- one that is truly unified, and not locked up, with a single search implementation relying on one platform to do the heavy lifting --- than the app for Photos in Windows 10.

It is so incredible that it beggars belief.

Edit https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14595/ocr-anything-with-onenote-2007-and-2010/

Edited by waysidesc
Added link to feature !

To be honest, while I say it in jest - not really to be honest.. Are you actually new to windows?  Been a user since back in the 3.x days.. It has always be a haphazard slap fest ;)

15 hours ago, BudMan said:

To be honest, while I say it in jest - not really to be honest.. Are you actually new to windows?  Been a user since back in the 3.x days.. It has always be a haphazard slap fest ;)

I mean, does it matter if I were new to Windows ... ? I am not saying I am, but ...

You say that Windows has always been a haphazard slap fest ... but that is the point of contention for me At least what I described in the previous post ... with Windows Vista and later and OneNote 2007 and later ... was not at all haphazard ...

It is haphazard now !

How is it that a note-taking app released over thirteen years ago provides such a rich experience for photos ... but the app that is dedicated specifically to photos cannot do this ... ?

Again, there is no need for these silos; Microsoft has forgotten this. We were to do away with them in the advent of a new era of desktop computing.

Again ...

Where is the quality ? Where is the consistency ? The attention to detail ? The plan ?

Is there even a vision ?

On 4/20/2020 at 10:35 PM, BudMan said:

I wanted to really illustrate that which I discuss ...

Since we were discussing OneNote 2007 I thought it would be appropriate to illustrate the feature by referring to an image of one of the other apps in the 2007 Microsoft Office System.

onenote.thumb.png.fe1dede6db62c78c3761e9a73133d765.png

photos.thumb.png.b443d1bb7390ef6da03d99648aeac95e.png

noresults.thumb.png.21569058c5b40f1771cc9c87e96525e4.png

It is actually even worse than previous versions ... because OCR'd text in OneNote is no longer searchable from within the Shell ...