File encryption software recommendations

Hello. I've been looking into encrypting my files, which are stored in the cloud. So far I've been thinking between NordLocker and Cryptomator. I even noticed that the first one has a bounty campaign, I've never seen something like this before. Does that mean that they have better security? Or maybe that they're really trying to improve their service via the help of freelance hackers? In any case I would like to hear your thoughts on using file encryption and if it's even necessary.

4 hours ago, CriticMunde37 said:

if it's even necessary.

That all depends - what are you storing in the cloud?  And the other big question is where?  And how.. Are these files you specifically upload?  Are they files that are sync'd up there like dropbox?

If they are video's of your cat - kind of hard to justify encryption.. Now if they are private videos of you and your loved one expressing your love - might be another story, etc.  Or if its a spreadsheet holding the nuke launch codes for India arsenal?

Here is one thing I will say about encryption, more often than not its not justified in the least.. And more times than not it will lock the user out of their own files more often than actually provide protection from others viewing them.

example:  I store copies of my audio books in the cloud (dropbox which already uses encryption).. I also store util type software that I might need in one place.. I use it to sync some info between machines.. You know notes on how to do xyz or something.. I have a txt file with some commands in them, so don't have to look them up if need to do them on another machine.

I am not storing passwords in a clear text, or in anything on there.  I am not storing any personal info on there.  I am not storing any sort of media that could be of issue if leaked to the public or someone other than me saw, etc..

With such use - how could anyone justify the added overhead of use, even if free cost money wise any sort of 3rd party encryption?  The most likely outcome in doing such a thing would be frustration in use/access of my own stuff.. Having to reauth with some other password or OTP or 2fa to get access.. And worse case actual loss of access to said data - because lost the password/key or something went wrong in the encryption/decryption... Which most often would happen exactly at the time that I wanted/needed access to said file the most ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BudMan said:

Or if its a spreadsheet holding the nuke launch codes for India arsenal?

I laughed so hard at that...

Encryption depends on what you want hidden. Like BudMan said.

Most cloud services are already encrypted when you upload files. You can set them as shareable or not. You can also password protect Zip/Rar files on the fly.

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t speak for Nordlocker as I’ve not used it however I’ve been using Cryptomator for several years and have to say it’s excellent; as Budman says don’t encrypt stuff you don’t need to but I keep a small 1gb crypt backed up on both OneDrive and Dropbox which has certain documents and backups of some of my keys in. Cryptomator is open source so I trust that the community has vetted it, but they’ve also had it audited.

@stereopixels

Thanks for the Cryptomator suggestion as it sounds like a solid choice for all around ease-of-use paired with good security.

I also plan on uploading something online (my password managers database file) semi-soon but I tend to go with the more paranoid encryption route. sort of a double encryption with two different passwords. like the password manager file put inside a VeraCrypt container (which the VeraCrypt container uses some keyfiles) and then put the VeraCrypt container file inside a .7z file. so someone would have to break through the .7z first, then VeraCrypt and then the password manager database file in order to get to the sensitive info and I got the keyfiles for the VeraCrypt container stored on a different account/site of which I put multiple keyfiles inside so even if someone got a hold of the keyfiles (which are password protected (so they would also have to crack this)) they would not know which ones are used for the VeraCrypt container and I got a plenty strong password on it straight up. so the odds of them guessing the VeraCrypt password are pretty slim but with the keyfiles should be that much harder.

I realize what I am doing is a decent amount of work, which some might consider overkill, but it's better peace of mind and it's not something ill have to update much as it's obvious Cryptomator is much simpler but I prefer the paranoid route since I am not relying on one encryption program which should further lower the chances of someone breaking it and the entropy of the passwords I am using (which is guaranteed since it's truly random) should be plenty high enough for the foreseeable future.

hell, who knows... maybe ill pair Cryptomator with the stuff I am using as then someone would have to break through a total of four encryption schemes before they could access the data. but then again maybe not as the more stuff I wrap it in, it could be a issue in the future when retrieving that data since we need to make sure the programs are still around to access the data if I need to etc. but I figure with what I am using, it should satisfy the more paranoid types unless someone thinks 7z and VeraCrypt is crap security.

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2020 at 1:58 PM, BudMan said:

I store copies of my audio books in the cloud (dropbox which already uses encryption)..

Dropbox has a backdoor to the encryption, staff can access your data if they want to and they give access to third parties.

10. What categories of personal information are included in the information Dropbox collects and discloses to trusted third parties?

“Your stuff” is what you decide to store in your Dropbox account.

https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/security/privacy-policy-faq

find Linus Tech Tips video on yt when he made home cloud storage with sync on other device too. it worth it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2020 at 16:27, DramaInc said:

Be wary of Cryptomator on OneDrive. OneDrive will think it’s ransomware. No fix is available atm. 

No offense, but OneDrive sucks anyways. I like pCloud myself. Super fast, no ads. 10GB free. 500GB for $4.99 a month and Cryptomator works like a charm with it.

4 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

No offense, but OneDrive sucks anyways. I like pCloud myself. Super fast, no ads. 10GB free. 500GB for $4.99 a month and Cryptomator works like a charm with it.

Oh yeah I’d never use OneDrive.  But someone was discussing using it while also with CM and thats a Nono.  

I use NextCloud right now, but I do want to move to something I dont have to maintain.  

• Like 1

You might want to look into Veracrypt. It's a fork from the old TrueCrypt, and can be used to create encrypted volumes to store files in. So while it doesn't encrypt individual files (maybe it can do that, I haven't looked), it's easy to make a "folder" for encryption. I've been using TrueCrypt or Veracrypt for probably 10+ years and it works well.

https://www.veracrypt.fr/code/VeraCrypt/

3 hours ago, Fezmid said:

You might want to look into Veracrypt. It's a fork from the old TrueCrypt, and can be used to create encrypted volumes to store files in. So while it doesn't encrypt individual files (maybe it can do that, I haven't looked), it's easy to make a "folder" for encryption. I've been using TrueCrypt or Veracrypt for probably 10+ years and it works well.

https://www.veracrypt.fr/code/VeraCrypt/

Veracrypt is great stuff, but they do not have an iOS app unfortunately.