Nest WiFi

Hey guys!

So, during this whole covid-19 thing, i decided to upgrade my wireless since i am stuck at home. I went with the Nest WiFi mesh system. I bought the router and 2 points. Things work and everything is cool. Then one night, i am trying to sleep and i ask myself... did i set it up right? can one point feed another point? or does the router have to be in the center of the 2 points? So i opened the manual, went on google and i can't find anyone that says that a point can actually feed another point.

1 is the router

2 and 3 are points

Can 1 feed 2, then can 2 feed 3?

or do i have to swap 1 and 2?

I think i have it right, but it's just one of those things that i didnt see specified and made me wonder if i did it right.

Thank you!

image.thumb.png.40d1106a513119f45c3c63a8e8656961.png

Different between wireless uplink and full mesh, multihop, etc.. What your talking about is doable for sure, but I am not sure on the specs of the nest wifi..

Simple enough to test .. Do you have access while connected to AP 3?  Doesn't nest show you what device is connected to what AP?

Keep in mind when you do multihop like that your prob going to to see a performance hit..

I would hope the nest would show you how your stuff is connected together, and what AP clients are connected to etc.. Example

clients-ap.thumb.jpg.62f32f8b1faa55fafca6451f4fb49cf2.jpg

You can see my 3 AP, and what clients ae connected to what AP.. 

What you would prob want is your Wired device, the one connected to your internet via a wire, should be in the center so that your only ever 1 hop away from that device with your other AP..  When you do multihop you are almost always going to see a hit in performance.

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

Different between wireless uplink and full mesh, multihop, etc.. What your talking about is doable for sure, but I am not sure on the specs of the nest wifi..

Simple enough to test .. Do you have access while connected to AP 3?  Doesn't nest show you what device is connected to what AP?

Keep in mind when you do multihop like that your prob going to to see a performance hit..

I would hope the nest would show you how your stuff is connected together, and what AP clients are connected to etc.. Example

clients-ap.thumb.jpg.62f32f8b1faa55fafca6451f4fb49cf2.jpg

You can see my 3 AP, and what clients ae connected to what AP.. 

What you would prob want is your Wired device, the one connected to your internet via a wire, should be in the center so that your only ever 1 hop away from that device with your other AP..  When you do multihop you are almost always going to see a hit in performance.

thank you for explaining that. once i read your comment, it gave me a better idea of what i am looking for. i went to the nest wifi page and i found this:

"Supports both star and daisy chain configurations." I assume daisy chain means that it supports the way i have it setup.

unfortunately the google wifi app is pretty basic. It doesn't show me much information, which is why i mostly started to doubt the setup.

I will do some more research to make sure, but it sounds to be like the system should be working as it is right now. feeling better about it now. thank you again.

Daisy chain (multihop) is not going to be same performance as star (single hop)..

So it doesn't even show you what client is connected to what?  Does it show you details of that client at all?  What PHY connected at for TX and RX?

Because google mesh is mu-mimo the performance degradation is minimal in a daisy chain configuration. What you have to make sure is that your repeater is in an area that has a very strong signal to repeat.  If you put it in a weaker area it will repeat that weaker signal and you will have less bandwidth.  

I just had to deploy a solution that combined both google WiFi and ubiquity UniFi.  There were certain areas that were very weak but when performing speed tests when placing google WiFi in those weaker areas caused an issue with speed.   Some areas were not wired.  I had a 4 station google nest WiFi and 3 unifi’s.   Moving them a few feet over where signal strength was stronger allowed the google WiFi repeaters to repeat full bandwidth.  Though I only needed about 100Mb/s to the internet because that was the speed that they purchased.  when looking at the UniFi controller, the goggle nest WiFi devices were connected to them. 

specs for google nest WiFi. https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_wifi_specs

You would think the the ceo for a multi million dollar org who owns a million+ dollar home would have faster internet.  But he did serve me some 25 year Macallan so it was all good, he was very happy with the results. 

Edited by sc302
  • Like 3