Unusual interference after upgrading...

As the title suggests.. here's what's happening.

This week I upgraded two components. Went from an aging GTX970 to a GTX1660 Super...and replaced the 1TB HDD with a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD; swapped out an 8TB drive for 10TB. 

No hiccups... the cloning process went fine, booted up without any issues.

Now.. I am still using my Aspire tower case I bought back in the XP days.. she's seen everything from an AMD 1800/3200 to the FX8350. All aluminum case.

Here's where an unusual issue seemed to surface.

I use my system mostly for media.. and I back up my purchased disks to those large volume drives. However, using Handbrake, (and before adding back that 1TB HDD).. I had some media on that drive, to encode to the 10TB. 

The digital antenna for our TV hangs about seven feet above, and to the right of the PC. When I clicked to start the encoding process, the TV could no longer receive over-the-air signals, and our show just pixelated, skipped or just went to a blank screen.

When the process ended.. the TV came back to normal.

I didn't think anything of it at first.. until I went to encode it again, well.. because I missed a few features I wanted added to the back up.

Again.. the TV signal all but died out. So, I stopped the process.. TV came back. Started it a third time, TV went nuts.

Funny thing.. as I took a chuck of aluminum foil, and wrapped the outside of the hard drive enclosure. Started the encode process and no interference. Interesting enough, like I mentioned.. the entire case/enclosures are all aluminum... the MX500 SSD is also enclosed in an aluminum housing... so my question remains.

What the hell? Has anyone else experienced having interference in such a way?

41 minutes ago, xMorpheousx416 said:

What the hell? Has anyone else experienced having interference in such a way?

Nope ... that is really weird.  It only happens while you're encoding (are you using the Nvidia NVENC?) ... not doing other work on the computer?  Curious if the interference is coming from the GPU (my guess) or the new HDD.

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

Nope ... that is really weird.  It only happens while you're encoding (are you using the Nvidia NVENC?) ... not doing other work on the computer?  Curious if the interference is coming from the GPU (my guess) or the new HDD.

That's what struck my curiosity... 

Yes.. by default, Handbrake uses the NVENC encoder.. before with the 970 and with the 1660S.

This is what seemed to resolve it.. but I will try a few more things, like testing HB without using NVENC. With and without the foil.. as well as a basic large file transfer between drives so the SSD takes on a full transfer load.

IMG_20200502_123637.thumb.jpg.88f51c89159688734c5314f7f7a25ed3.jpg

Well.. I ended up moving the TV's antenna to the other side of the TV, and seemed to resolve the issue. 

Don't know how or why, it just did.. so chalk this one up to just being a one off, really weird coincidental situation.

Hello,

It sounds like RF leakage from the new components.  Does the computer have a properly properly grounded connection to the AC outlet?  Are the components inside properly grounded?  This usually means making contact with the metal frame of the chassis.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1