Microsoft xCloud on PC?

Have there been any dates revealed or leaked on when an xCloud app will be out for Windows/Mac?

I know a Microsoft Store app entry leaked a couple months ago but haven't heard anything since then.

• 2 months later...

I haven't heard anything more and I'm an Xbox Ambassador. Not sure why people would need game streaming on a PC if they have a gaming PC and Game Pass for PC anyway.

I believe it will be released sometime in September: https://www.techradar.com/news/project-xcloud-everything-we-know-about-microsofts-cloud-streaming-service

Also it will require Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

And I could be wrong but I think it will use the following client: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/apps/xbox-app-for-windows-10

And game streaming should allow for gaming anywhere, anytime. With or without access to your physical xbox or gaming pc.

• Like 2

It's not so much for those who have a gaming PC, as it is for those who have a average laptop, or a tablet, etc.  They don't lose anything if they have it for Windows.   I have a older work laptop that couldn't run a game to save it's life, I'd use xCloud if I could from time to time.

As far as the when and so on, I think MS will have another event in August to talk up hardware, like the open secret Series S.  And then another event in September to release xCloud and talk about their services.   I also expect more games to be shown off at both events, we've only seen games from around half of their studios so far.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, neo158 said:

I haven't heard anything more and I'm an Xbox Ambassador. Not sure why people would need game streaming on a PC if they have a gaming PC and Game Pass for PC anyway.

I could use it on my Surface Go if I was somewhere else.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:35 PM, margrave said:

I believe it will be released sometime in September: https://www.techradar.com/news/project-xcloud-everything-we-know-about-microsofts-cloud-streaming-service

Also it will require Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

And I could be wrong but I think it will use the following client: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/apps/xbox-app-for-windows-10

And game streaming should allow for gaming anywhere, anytime. With or without access to your physical xbox or gaming pc.

That's going to be on Android with iOS and Windows following later, I seem to remember Microsoft mentioning a beta for PC coming later this year.

On 7/26/2020 at 8:08 AM, neo158 said:

mid grade laptop. not powerful enough to game directly on it but does great with game streaming services such as Nvidia Geforce Now. Nice for on the go / at a friends house or when I don't want to game on the main PC.

My main gaming PC is a good 5 years or so out of date now (I have an i5 devils canyon with a GTX 750 Ti) and I don't really want to build out a new one yet. It mostly gets used as the media PC now as it's hooked up to the TV in the living room.

These are my reasons and I'm sure there are other scenarios where it would be useful 🙂 

If it is later this year that's just sad. Stadia is already launched, and I've been loving it. 4K gaming from a server with NO extra download required has been awesome!

Also didn't have to buy a $499.99 box to play these great game titles.

19 minutes ago, margrave said:

If it is later this year that's just sad. Stadia is already launched, and I've been loving it. 4K gaming from a server with NO extra download required has been awesome!

Also didn't have to buy a $499.99 box to play these great game titles.

That's cool, but neither do xCloud users and Stadias game collection is just sad.

I'm currently loving Stadia. And when xCloud, or whatever it's final name is since xCloud isn't it, I will play it too.

Just like how you CAN have more than one console, you can have more than one streaming service too!

The sad game collection is over at GF Now.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if a potential work around would be to install an Android Emulator on a laptop and run it that way?

I've not got any experience with emulators but if they can go full screen it could be a good option. I don't have a PC/laptop capable of playing anything so it would be a great option for me.

1 hour ago, Skiver said:

I wonder if a potential work around would be to install an Android Emulator on a laptop and run it that way?

I've not got any experience with emulators but if they can go full screen it could be a good option. I don't have a PC/laptop capable of playing anything so it would be a great option for me.

Unless you use hardware virtualization, any emulator will run like crap, with virtualization they will run somewhat better. Not to mention lack of google services which may or may not hinder the situation. Not sure about BlueStacks, but the Android emulators provided by Google do not full screen. 

Edited by adrynalyne

15 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Unless you use hardware virtualization, any emulator will run like crap, with virtualization they will run somewhat better. Not to mention lack of google services which may or may not hinder the situation. Not sure about BlueStacks, but the Android emulators provided by Google do not full screen. 

Thanks, probably not worth it then. 

I wonder if they've got some app update on the PC in the works so they push it out with xCloud?   If they can get it working on the phones, PC shouldn't be a issue.   I think it'll happen though, just don't know why it's taking so long.  It'd be perfect for any low powered devices like laptops and tablets, and specially any ARM devices.   I'd for sure give it a spin on my old HP laptop with intel iGPU.