Sunday fun day - Cleanup an old gateway computer.

Today, I was looking for something to do, and thought, "What could be more fun than to clean up and old gateway computer"

It had 1 nasty looking cap, so it removed that and got a 10 pack ordered. So now i'll have more in the future.

DSC01725-Medium.jpg

DSC01722-Medium.jpg

DSC01728-Medium.jpg

DSC01729-Medium.jpg

DSC01730-Medium.jpg

DSC01723-Medium.jpg

Over the years i've collected a bunch of differnet desktops and parts

DSC01732-Medium.jpg

Also have a collections of laptops too.. there are 6 more that were not in that pile

IMG-20200504-123814-Medium.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, forster said:

Nice :) whats the specs?

It's a P4 ... that's all I know at the moment. wouldn't be surpised if the machine also took Rambus memory. I do have some extra laying around. What I would like to do is put in an old voodoo card and old pci audio card and try running Dos on it.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Where;s your fridge? :laugh:

that's the basement, it came with a furnished kitchen. Fridge is upstairs.

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

that's the basement, it came with a furnished kitchen. Fridge is upstairs.

Ah, that would explain it.

No offense - but this is just utter waste of your time.. A P4.. WTF would you do with that beast - your electric meter would be spinning around leaving that space heater plugged in ;)

You really should just take all that junk and recycle it next time your city/county/state has a recycle event where you can dispose of electronics..

I have a few spare nics (gig) around and such... But all my other ###### I tossed... I mean really what am I going to do with a ISA slotted video card, etc..  What I should do is toss the some of the other shelf I have on my self as well... I see some old floppy disks and such.. WTF am going to ever do with those ;)

Unless you are in some mud hut village in 3rd world - none of that ###### has any use ;)

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

No offense - but this is just utter waste of your time.. A P4.. WTF would you do with that beast - your electric meter would be spinning around leaving that space heater plugged in ;)

You really should just take all that junk and recycle it next time your city/county/state has a recycle event where you can dispose of electronics..

I have a few spare nics (gig) around and such... But all my other ###### I tossed... I mean really what am I going to do with a ISA slotted video card, etc..  What I should do is toss the some of the other shelf I have on my self as well... I see some old floppy disks and such.. WTF am going to ever do with those ;)

Unless you are in some mud hut village in 3rd world - none of that ###### has any use ;)

Regardless, it's  fun project.  Our local goodwill takes old computers. Once I found out they recycled, this is what I got rid of 10 mins later. This was a couple years ago.

This is one recycle trip I made. I've made 2 .. can't find the other one.

720844340_IMG_20150304_151623263(Medium).thumb.jpg.5d6ca94add18c30c56bc12d01cc4936c.jpg

• Like 1

It would be fun if you were going to do something with it.. But if your just going to put it back in the corner to collect dust - I don't see how that is "fun"...

Something to keep you busy sure, but no I wouldn't call fun working on 20 year old POS equipment that nobody could ever use... But maybe that's just me.. hehehehe

There really is nothing to do with witch such an old machine - unless you want to turn it on to keep you warm in the winter? ;)  If you wanted to actually do some computing you would be better off getting a pi4..  I would be much faster cpu cost less than turning that thing on for a month ;)

Just now, BudMan said:

It would be fun if you were going to do something with it.. But if your just going to put it back in the corner to collect dust - I don't see how that is "fun"...

Something to keep you busy sure, but no I wouldn't call fun working on 20 year old POS equipment that nobody could ever use... But maybe that's just me.. hehehehe

There really is nothing to do with witch such an old machine - unless you want to turn it on to keep you warm in the winter? ;)  If you wanted to actually do some computing you would be better off getting a pi4..  I would be much faster cpu cost less than turning that thing on for a month ;)

Well, I was going to put in an old PCI audio card and old PCI voodo card and try installing dos on it.

DOS? on a P4? You mad bro?

14 hours ago, BudMan said:

"Fun" is subjective. Just because you wouldn't find it fun, doesn't mean somebody else won't.

5 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

DOS? on a P4? You mad bro?

Yep, i'm mad. It's one of the oldest PC's I have. I do have an old windows 98 gateway computer but it's an slot AMD CPU and the fan is sooooooo loud.

I actually got dos installed and up and running and playing terminal velocity but couldn't get the audio to work. Found drivers for an old PCI sound card I found in my shed in my "Sound card" box. But the motherboard is too new and doesn't support some of the features the driver relies on. I'm hoping MAYBE the P4 motherboard has what it needs.

• Haha 1

Such an innocent face, yet such a mad man behind it lol

4 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

Such an innocent face, yet such a mad man behind it lol

You should see what I just got off swap ..as a true dos machine I think i'll make a new thread about it later today.

Got the new Cap installed on the motherboard and everything put back together!

DSC01865-Medium.jpg

DSC01866-Medium.jpg

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

It "working", though?

Managed to get windows 98 running on it 🙂

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Managed to get windows 98 running on it 🙂

Sweetums!

I spy ...... with my little eye ( rolling my eyes ) ...... a Latitude D610 or a Latitude D810.