Reccommendations for Cloud Storage

Looking for a good reliable cloud storage to store 4TB plus. I have a 4TB drive and wish to have a backup of it. I have been looking for another replacement drive but wanted to explore online backup options and cost.

4TB is a lot. I mean I have Microsoft 365 (€69/year) and it gets me 1TB on OneDrive too for as long as I keep my subscription, otherwise it is €10 per month for that 1TB without Office 365.

Sorry for tooting my own horn, but we also have discounted cloud drive deals that also help Neowin a bit with commision 😛 Lifetime subscription to Polar Backup 5TB for $79.99 https://deals.neowin.net/sales/polar-backup-lifetime-subscription-5tb okay maybe not, seems like PolarBackup is not trustworthy https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/polar-backup-reviews.2571476/

4TB+ isn't going to be cheap anywhere you look.

I use Backblaze B2 for backing up around 1TB of data, that is costing me around £5 a month depending on the exchange rate.

The backup client I use is ARQ. I like ARQ as it just works in the background backing up any changed files daily, in addition I control the encryption key for this so my data is useless to anyone at Backblaze.  ARQ will also compress and de-dupe my data, saving on the amount I need to pay Backblaze.

Yep ^^ Or you have Dropbox which is also a great solution. To get 5TB you would have to get a business/teams plan for £10/month (billed annually at £120) or monthly at £12 https://www.dropbox.com/business/plans-comparison they also have a good app for syncing. I have a free DropBox account and I sync my NAS backup with it, works pretty good.

If i ever started paying Backblaze somewhat near that i'd probably switch over to Dropbox as i also use a free account with them for syncing some more general stuff between devices / sharing files with friends & family. The Dropbox mobile app is pretty good too.

So is this backup you want cold data?  Or is your data constantly changing.. If changing you are not going to want to keep revisions of the files?  And just overwrite whatever todays version of the file is?

If you keep revisions, how much data are you changing per day?  If you have 4TB to start with, and you changing 1G a day - pretty soon you have 8TB ;)

Love to offer you a suggestion, but there is nowhere close to the amount of info need to suggest anything other than google online storage and what do you find..  Or name off some top name players, etc.

If you concern is budget, its almost always going to be cheaper to just buy another disk and copy your data there..   Quick google and you for sure can pick up a 4/5TB disk for 100$.. You would burn through that with online storage in no time..   Even storing that data on glacier, your prob around 200$ for only a year of storage..

Even if only keep the 4TB extra a disk for the life of its warranty... Your still cheaper than storing the data online.. But comes down to what your actually needs are, and why you feel online storage is better option.. Now if you were saying this was one of the legs in your DR plan, then that would make sense.  But again what are you backing up?  What are you upload speeds?  Takes quite a bit of time to upload 4TB of data at 5mpbs ;)

K I spoke with Neowin deals partner, StackCommerce who vetted the PolarBackup deal and they say that they have only had positive feedback about the company https://deals.neowin.net/sales/polar-backup-lifetime-subscription-5tb so for now I am suggesting this also as an option.

It is possible that the comments in the Andand forum topic https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/polar-backup-reviews.2571476/ were actors for a rival backup solution, I do find it odd they all only seem to be saying the bad stuff there and nowhere else where I searched for reviews about PolarBackup.

lifetime? Sounds sketchy... Though, not a bad price...

12 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

use Backblaze B2 for backing up around 1TB of data, that is costing me around £5 a month depending on the exchange rate.

Reminds me of Dev.... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Riva said:

Home NAS might be more attractive at those numbers.

Yeah, sure. You won't have to pay as much, except replacing drives...

buy 2 synapse HDD storage devices, 1 for home + 1 for parents\sisters and sync them together

linux tech tips have a video for that

4 hours ago, Riva said:

How often do you replace HDDs? My old NAS died and I plugged the disk on my PC, 4 years still going.

HDD's die when they die. No "It died ###"

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Steven P. - I did the same in 2020's tailchase (Microsoft365 Personal). The terabyte of cloud storage is actually a BIGGER benefit than even Office's five-device licensing - in my case, my desktop, three notebooks, and my phone.  Not only can all five devices access OneDrive, all five back up to it on separate schedules; yes - including the phone.