• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PWM fan speed problems

Lanajeffo    0

hello everyone ,i have a problem with controlling the fan speed on my comp,System,Ryzen 3700x,B450 F Strix mo/bo 32 gig Vengance pro ram, RTX 2080 Super,970 Evo NVME,M.2 SSD 1 T/B,the fans ramp up and down all the time (4 noctua 120mm case fans) and are verry noisy.i have tried setting them in the mobo Bios,same,tried both PWM and power settings and no differance,idle is quiet for the most part but all i have to do is move the mouse cursor and they start ramping up and down,i seem to have no controll of them at all,Bios latest version,everything set to factory default,fresh install of windows 10,,,,it is driving me crazy,thinking of ditching amd alltogeather because of this,not happened on any of my previous Intel systems,anyone have any ideas ??? please help or the thing is going out of the window

Jim K    15,452

How are the 4 chassis fans connected?  Are they going through a fan controller or are they all connected to the motherboard headers?  If connected to the motherboard headers ... how is the 4th fan connected (only 3 chassis fan headers on that motherboard).  Are they ramping up and down before Windows is loaded?  If so, in the motherboard BIOS ... are they set properly (PMW) ... did you set the chassis fans to the motherboard (vs CPU)?  If they are only ramping up and down after Windows is loaded ... what software are you using to control them?  In that software...are the chassis fans mapped to the motherboard (vs. CPU)?

Lanajeffo    0

hi Jim K,thanks for answering my post,fans are connected directly to  the mobo fan headers,2 were connected via a supplied noctua splitter,thaught this might be a problem so tried running 1 exhaust and 2 intake with no splitter,same problem,tried with just 1 fan (exhaust) same problem,happens all the time even when im in the bios screen,no fan control software installed,just using the mobo pwm settings in bios,tried switching to the power settings instead of pwm but just the same,the pwm settings do nothing,the fans are showing in the chassis fan windows on the bios page,cpu fan is correctly wired to the cpu header on the mobo,,this is the 7th gaming comp i have built  so not that experienced but not a total noob either,i have had doa ram before witch i diagnosed easy, no idea about this,i have taken the system apart and rebuilt it and its just the same ,,ty for your time

Lanajeffo    0

forgot to mention my power supply,its a Corsair 750 watt gold rated and new along with all the other parts

Jim K    15,452

What are the chassis fans Q-Fan sourced to in the BIOS?  What is your smoothing up/down time limits?  These are 4-pin PWM fans and not 3-pin DC fans...right?

Lanajeffo    0

hi again,seem to be getting somewhere,i ran the "optimise all" option in the Qfan tab,first results were %20>14 for all chassis fans i then run it again and got a reading of% 14>14 for all of them,then i set the manual speeds to minimum speed until 40c, then 30% speed at 60c,  then max at 80 c...now it is saying %31>30 for all case fans the 1st restart there was some up and down of the fans but much less,i went into the bios again and reset it as stated above (it had set itself to silent from the manual i had set it to),,ran the optimise all again and set it to manual with the above settings,now it is much better silent at idle.there is a small amount of up and down when i load a programme etc but nothing like before,i guess 95% better !!  i will try to fine tune it over the next few days.Thank you for your help,if you had not asked about the smoothing cycles/time limits i would not have had an idea,never used a ASUS mobo before,only Gygabite and Asrock so was not famillier with Qfan.i was just used to setting the sliders in the bios and that was it,,thank you heaps,i will post an update if i need to otherwise i think "problem solved" ty and all the best,will recomend this site to friends etc