"Paid" browser to not have advertising and your data (in)directly being sold

Question

I am wondering... is there some sort of paid browser that doesn't sell you data, or secretly ends your url's with its own (affliate) code, like Brave Browser just did.

Just a plain, decent and "responsible" browser, which doesn't use (and sell) your data for its own benefits, and I might even have a few bucks over for it :jump:

7 answers to this question

I think there are only two paid browsers (iCab, Blisk) but they aren't targeted for what you want ....

Firefox?  Duckduckgo?

It seems like every company on the web is buying and selling my data. You’re probably no different.

Mozilla doesn’t sell data about you, and we don’t buy data about you.

Wait, so how do you make money?

Mozilla is not your average organization. Founded as a community open source project in 1998, Mozilla is a mission-driven organization working towards a more healthy internet. The majority of Mozilla Corporation’s revenue is from royalties earned through Firefox web browser search partnerships and distribution deals around the world. You can learn more about how we make money in our annual financial report.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/faq/

That just looks like it auto filled where he has already been..

From that nonsense little tweet your taking that brave the browser is putting in "THEIR" referral info every time anyone goes to that domain using their browser.. Nonsense..

Sorry but I call BS.. I don't buy it..

Just downloaded brave - its not doing that..

doyourself.thumb.jpg.bdf45127361dc1f403e597df73d0b571.jpg

What is more likely is he has actually been there before!!  So yeah it calls that up in the list, etc.  And tries to go there again..

What I would suggest is you not get your security information from a tweet from some crypto guy on twitter..

16 hours ago, BudMan said:

That just looks like it auto filled where he has already been..

From that nonsense little tweet your taking that brave the browser is putting in "THEIR" referral info every time anyone goes to that domain using their browser.. Nonsense..

Sorry but I call BS.. I don't buy it..

Just downloaded brave - its not doing that..

doyourself.thumb.jpg.bdf45127361dc1f403e597df73d0b571.jpg

What is more likely is he has actually been there before!!  So yeah it calls that up in the list, etc.  And tries to go there again..

What I would suggest is you not get your security information from a tweet from some crypto guy on twitter..

Probably because brave already responded and fixed it. They admitted affiliate links were embedded by accident.

Of course no-one will see the irony of Brave browser intentionally modifying websites without permission (to block a revenue stream for publishers) and then inserting their own revenue streams huh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Of course no-one will see the irony of Brave browser intentionally modifying websites without permission (to block a revenue stream for publishers) and then inserting their own revenue streams huh?

Yes, I agree. This should be a scandal, Brave should be punished. I can only imagine the uproar if Google were to do this with Chrome. 

Where was that link vs some stupid tweet..

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2020/06/09/brave-ceo-apologises-for-adding-affiliate-links-to-urls/

Not sure why everyone is so ######... That browser pays you to look at ads.. WTF did you think was going to happen ;) heheheh

Pretty much looking to monetize their users just like every other site on the planet..  Brave on purpose blocks ads and then shows you specific ads that they pay you for ;)  Who would ever use such ###### show in the first place... Then complain that they use a referral to make some money off of your browsing.. WTF do you think they are doing when they replace ads on websites with theirs..