Firmware (update) for Kingston SSD?

In my Asus ROG notebook is a Kingston NVM Express SSD (KINGSTON RBUSNS8154P3256GJ3 256.0 GB) installed.

The Kingston SSD Manager doesn't recognize this SSD... , so how do I know if there's a firmware update available? 

The firmware - according to CrystalDisk info - is E8FK11.T

Is this version the latest? And if not, how do I obtain the most recent one?

There a reason you need the new and greatest firmware? I personally never upgraded the firmware on a NVMe...

Being you do not know if there is a firmware update, why are you asking? There has to be a reason...

Think that Kingston Manager problem may be it's looking on the SATA ports, not the PCI-e. Just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

There a reason you need the new and greatest firmware? I personally never upgraded the firmware on a NVMe...

Being you do not know if there is a firmware update, why are you asking? There has to be a reason...

Think that Kingston Manager problem may be it's looking on the SATA ports, not the PCI-e. Just my 2 cents.

Besides I'd like to be up to date with software, drivers and potential firmware releases (nomatter what)...... no.

Or should I more be of the school... "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" ;)

firmware upgrades aren't really as important for SSDs as they used to be. You should be fine as you are.

Back when SSDs were a new breed, stability was iffy so firmware updates were needed; but stability/speed have pretty much been perfected in them now; especially m.2 NVMe drives so there's not much need to update firmwares.

• Thanks 1

Though I disagree with previous comments  (I believe in firmware/BIOS updates) ... I think the problem you have is some OEM Kingston specifically for ASUS (and other OEM partners) which may be why the Kingston manager isn't recognizing it.  In other words, ASUS is probably responsible for delivering firmware updates for the drive (Dell delivers firmware updates for my XPS 15 SK Hynix nvme).

Anyway, according to this...

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/ksm-firmware-update

Your drive isn't even listed. Looking at the firmwares it is *probably* some OEM hybrid of the A1000 series (similar firmware naming scheme) ...  E8FK11.R vs your E8FK11. **do not apply that firmware to your drive** 

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. Have you checked your notebook support page for latest drivers/BIOS and firmware?

13 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Though I disagree with previous comments  (I believe in firmware/BIOS updates)

Oh I agree, I'm also a believer of keeping BIOS and that up to date. I acknowledge that SSD firmwares aren't as crucial as they used to be though for my reasons stated above.

I did not know about OEMs controlling custom SSD firmwares so that's good to know and is probably what OP is running into. (Y)

Hello,

Usually the computer manufacturer provides an update to flash their OEM drive with the latest custom firmware for it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thx for the replies. Asus doesn’t list a firmware update to this SSD on their website, so I guess I should be okay.

But, a new BIOS has been released recently (and now installed on my system 😃). Strange however that Asus update tooling on my system hasn’t found this one yet...

Hello,

You can always log a ticket and contact support directly to see if they have some beta or pre-release firmware.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky