• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

Microsoft teams problems

Question

jnelsoninjax    14,679

My niece has to use Microsoft Teams for her schooling, but she has had nothing but trouble with it, from not being able to login to now able to login but can not hear any audio and can not transmit any either. I know nothing about Teams and the school is not helping either, they today just provided her a laptop to see if that solves the issue. My BIL seems to think that it is an issue with the firewall through the router, but again, I do not know how or what else to try. Can anyone who has used Teams provide some guidance here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Circaflex    3,640

Have her make sure the right audio devices are selected. This happens to me sometimes, but when you join the meeting or call, when joining you can select which audio device or when in a meeting you can click the three dot menu that shows up and change audio devices. Also FYI, you can even do screen sharing and remote control, so if you get Teams and jump on with her, you can help that way too. Let me know if i can help you out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    3,886

is she using the actual desktop Teams app or going through the web browser?

 

If going threw a browser you can use pretty much any browser except IE and then you just need to allow permissions for it to use the speakers/microphone.

 

edit: also check in settings like Cricaflex mentioned to make sure the right audio devices are selected for calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
jnelsoninjax    14,679
1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Have her make sure the right audio devices are selected. This happens to me sometimes, but when you join the meeting or call, when joining you can select which audio device or when in a meeting you can click the three dot menu that shows up and change audio devices. Also FYI, you can even do screen sharing and remote control, so if you get Teams and jump on with her, you can help that way too. Let me know if i can help you out.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will ask her later on today and see what we can do.

 

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

is she using the actual desktop Teams app or going through the web browser?

 

If going threw a browser you can use pretty much any browser except IE and then you just need to allow permissions for it to use the speakers/microphone.

 

edit: also check in settings like Cricaflex mentioned to make sure the right audio devices are selected for calls.

I was not aware that there was an app. She is using FF, so I will try and see if the settings are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Circaflex    3,640

Yes, if she is using the browser she needs to make sure to allow the camera and microphone. Each browser is a little different but I think firefox alerts you and also you can click to the left of the url and enable the options for mic and camera too. Perhaps she thought it was a rogue app and denied permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sc302    1,792
Posted (edited)

We have moved from Webex to Microsoft teams at work and demoed blue jeans, zoom, and even amazon chime.  They all work the same imo.  You have to make sure that you have good equipment and a good internet connection to support any of there technologies.  While you can “do it” with less, I recommend at least 10mb/s upload speed as well as 50-100mbs down.  The more people on the network and streaming the more download speed you need.   I do it with 12 up and 350 mb down with 6 devices streaming and/or on these types of meetings.  
 

the experience is much better with the teams application and I just got the update for 7x7 or up to 49 people can be seen in a conference/meeting. 
 

I know this doesn’t really answer your question but I don’t know what your problem really is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DoctorD    188

Perfect time to ask, we have 2 that remote in to meetings in Teams that are sideways any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sc302    1,792
Posted (edited)

What do you mean by sideways?  If you aren’t looking directly at the camera it might show you a side profile. 
 

if you have a dual monitor and a camera on one monitor or on your laptop and are not facing the camera properly, it won’t show the person being Straight on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Circaflex    3,640
2 hours ago, DoctorD said:

Perfect time to ask, we have 2 that remote in to meetings in Teams that are sideways any thoughts?

Are they using the App or the browser?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DoctorD    188
51 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Are they using the App or the browser?

the App, windows 10, they are at home and wont let me remote in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.