• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Is being self employed a good idea?

RolloofTheNorm    7

For those of you that don't know I have an expunged misdemeanor arrest from a few years ago. Although I wasn't convicted and the arrest got expunged I'm still skeptical about getting a job. Is it a better idea to just be self employed?

+Zag L.    813

No, go get a job. As we told you before, an expunged record is just that. The incident is gone from your record. The fact it was just a misdemeanor makes your concerns even more baseless. Get on with your life man. 

• Like 2

Marujan    137
Posted (edited)

register at Workmarket and  start your career

ps: did you steal a car?

RolloofTheNorm    7
4 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

No, go get a job. As we told you before, an expunged record is just that. The incident is gone from your record. The fact it was just a misdemeanor makes your concerns even more baseless. Get on with your life man. 

Well people on reddit say otherwise so thats why I'm still skeptical. Besides I did heard something about employers cant consider arrests that didn't end up with a conviction but i don't know how true that is.

3 minutes ago, Marujan said:

ps: did you steal a car?

No

Marujan    137
1 minute ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well people on reddit say otherwise so thats why I'm still skeptical. Besides I did heard something about employers cant consider arrests that didn't end up with a conviction but i don't know how true that is.

No

did you kill a moose?

+trag3dy    4,194
8 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

So look up your state/country laws instead of asking strangers on the internet who couldn't care less but probably don't have much going on so they humor you.

• Like 2

RolloofTheNorm    7
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

So look up your state/country laws instead of asking strangers on the internet who couldn't care less but probably don't have much going on so they humor you.

And thats suppose to help? Its a simple yes or no.

jnelsoninjax    14,573

If you had your conviction expunged, then you have nothing baring you from getting work, also, just because you have a conviction, does not mean that you can not get work. Lots of employers will hire persons with convictions. But since your record was expunged, then it is gone, never happened, you do not have to report it. But if you want to become self employed, there's nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it is up to you, what do you want to do with your life.

RolloofTheNorm    7
2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

If you had your conviction expunged, then you have nothing baring you from getting work, also, just because you have a conviction, does not mean that you can not get work. Lots of employers will hire persons with convictions. But since your record was expunged, then it is gone, never happened, you do not have to report it. But if you want to become self employed, there's nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it is up to you, what do you want to do with your life.

I didnt even get convicted so what are you talking about?

jnelsoninjax    14,573
Just now, RolloofTheNorm said:

I didnt even get convicted so what are you talking about?

Wow, OK you don't need to take everything word for word, conviction, misdemeanor, same difference, it was removed, that is the bottom line, you do not need to worry about it. Fill out job applications, and when they ask if you have had any convictions in the last 7 years, you can say no, even with it not being expunged, if you were not convicted then you don't need to worry about it. Simple enough.

RolloofTheNorm    7
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

Wow, OK you don't need to take everything word for word, conviction, misdemeanor, same difference, it was removed, that is the bottom line, you do not need to worry about it. Fill out job applications, and when they ask if you have had any convictions in the last 7 years, you can say no, even with it not being expunged, if you were not convicted then you don't need to worry about it. Simple enough.

Well the way I see it I do. Idk where you are but arrests and convictions aren't the same here in the US, but anyways and 7 years have not passed since the arrest has happened. I just simply want to know whether or not is it just a better idea of just being self employed instead going through the risk of an employer finding my record.

jnelsoninjax    14,573
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well the way I see it I do. Idk where you are but arrests and convictions aren't the same here in the US, but anyways and 7 years have not passed since the arrest has happened. I just simply want to know whether or not is it just a better idea of just being self employed instead going through the risk of an employer finding my record.

An employer can not find a record that is not there. Since it was expunged it is no longer there, the only persons who might be able to see it are law enforcement agents. Expungements do not show up in a standard background check.

Expungement

In the common law legal system, an expungement proceeding is a type of lawsuit in which a first time offender of a prior criminal conviction seeks that the records of that earlier process be sealed, making the records unavailable through the state or Federal repositories.

RolloofTheNorm    7
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

An employer can not find a record that is not there. Since it was expunged it is no longer there, the only persons who might be able to see it are law enforcement agents. Expungements do not show up in a standard background check.

Well I appreciate you telling me there's nothing to worry about, but once again I'm skeptical. Then again I'm skeptical about alont of things.

jnelsoninjax    14,573

Well I appreciate you telling me there's nothing to worry about, but once again I'm skeptical. Then again I'm skeptical about alont of things.

It is not a bad thing to be skeptical!

RolloofTheNorm    7
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

It is not a bad thing to be skeptical!

Is thats suppose to make this better? You think its funny that I can't get the job I want now no matter what credentials I have? Like I said, if you wanna believe that I have nothing to worry about then more power to you.

• Haha 1

Brandon H    3,836
8 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Is thats suppose to make this better? You think its funny that I can't get the job I want now no matter what credentials I have? Like I said, if you wanna believe that I have nothing to worry about then more power to you.

he's right though. if it's not on your record anymore then there's nothing to worry about.

If some employer is digging up information that is not even supposed to be legally available to them and using it against you then that says more about them and you'd have the grounds to take legal action at that point.

If you're having trouble finding a job then it's not likely due to expunged items that used to be on your record. You may want to speak with someone about reworking your resume or consider how much experience and/or education you have to put on your resume.

IMHO there's no sense worrying about an expunged item so much as it will just cause you more stress than it's worth. take it from me; I'm done stressing about things, I stressed about things SO MUCH at one point in my life it put me in the hospital for a bit due to increasingly bad anxiety attacks.

RolloofTheNorm    7
2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

he's right though. if it's not on your record anymore then there's nothing to worry about.

If some employer is digging up information that is not even supposed to be legally available to them and using it against you then that says more about them and you'd have the grounds to take legal action at that point.

If you're having trouble finding a job then it's not likely due to expunged items that used to be on your record. You may want to speak with someone about reworking your resume or consider how much experience and/or education you have to put on your resume.

IMHO there's no sense worrying about an expunged item so much as it will just cause you more stress than it's worth. take it from me; I'm done stressing about things, I stressed about things SO MUCH at one point in my life it put me in the hospital for a bit due to increasingly bad anxiety attacks.

Whether he's right or not that's doesnt convince me and last time I check you're not the one with a record and stressing about whether an employer is going to see it or whatever. Again you really think this is funny? The way I see it yes you do. Not to be rude, but don't tell me to stress about this. I could care less about this arrest being expunged. That's why I dont like to acknowledge it. It was a waste of time getting it expunged as is.

• Haha 1

Brandon H    3,836

Whether he's right or not that's doesnt convince me and last time I check you're not the one with a record and stressing about whether an employer is going to see it or whatever. Again you really think this is funny? The way I see it yes you do. Not to be rude, but don't tell me to stress about this. I could care less about this arrest being expunged. That's why I dont like to acknowledge it. It was a waste of time getting it expunged as is.

who's calling this situation funny? none of us are but you.

you don't have a record, unless there are other items on there.

That's what we're trying to tell you. Expunged means removed. It's that black and white. If you don't want to believe us then talk to a lawyer about what it entails.

Not to sound rude but if you're going to not believe and yell and attack everyone that's trying to reassure you then why are you asking here? We're just trying to help, we really are.

RolloofTheNorm    7
1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

who's calling this situation funny? none of us are but you.

you don't have a record, unless there are other items on there.

That's what we're trying to tell you. Expunged means removed. It's that black and white. If you don't want to believe us then talk to a lawyer about what it entails.

Not to sound rude but if you're going to not believe and yell and attack everyone that's trying to reassure you then why are you asking here? We're just trying to help, we really are.

Well I can assure you that I have not other arrests. As far as lawyers go what do you mean by talk to a lawyer? A criminal lawyer? Employment lawyer? What are they suppose to do?

• Facepalm 1

ZakO    554
Posted (edited)

If it's been expunged like you said it has, in most states it will have literally been removed from the records companies can view about you. As said above, go to a lawyer, preferably a criminal lawyer but pretty much any lawyer should be able to explain to you what an expunging record does in your state and how it's very unlikely to affect your job prospects in any way.

If you see a lawyer and that still doesn't reassure you, I'd recommend going to a therapist because you've been asking the same question for years. I mean that in the nicest way possible, catastrophizing like you're doing is not healthy and if you're having trouble getting over these feelings by yourself seeking psychological help is nothing to be ashamed of.  

Edited by ZakO
clarification

RolloofTheNorm    7
25 minutes ago, ZakO said:

If it's been expunged like you said it has, in most states it will have literally been removed from the records companies can view about you. As said above, go to a lawyer, preferably a criminal lawyer but pretty much any lawyer should be able to explain to you what an expunging record does in your state and how it's very unlikely to affect your job prospects in any way.

If you see a lawyer and that still doesn't reassure you, I'd recommend going to a therapist because you've been asking the same question for years. I mean that in the nicest way possible, catastrophizing like you're doing is not healthy and if you're having trouble getting over these feelings by yourself seeking psychological help is nothing to be ashamed of.  

Therapy is none of my concern. As far as asking a lawyer about this I did went on avvo a few times and the answers I got there still don't convince me.

ZakO    554
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Therapy is none of my concern. As far as asking a lawyer about this I did went on avvo a few times and the answers I got there still don't convince me.

Were they from your state? If not, go to (preferably in person) a criminal lawyer from your state. If the answers a criminal lawyer from your state gives can't convince you, therapy really should be your concern... you might not see it right now but this isn't healthy behaviour. 

RolloofTheNorm    7
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ZakO said:

Were they from your state? If not, go to (preferably in person) a criminal lawyer from your state. If the answers a criminal lawyer from your state gives can't convince you, therapy really should be your concern... you might not see it right now but this isn't healthy behaviour. 

Yes the lawyers i talked to on avvo most of them from where my current state is. Anyways Healthy behavior or not I would like if you stop recommending therapy. Why would I pay for someone just to sit there and pretend to listen what I'm going through? Why good is it if I go to a therapist only for them to tell me that I cant have the job or life I want now? Therapy didnt help when my parents died and its not gonna help now.

• Haha 1

+Zag L.    813

Dude, get over it. If you are having trouble getting a job and you think it's because of an incident that is no longer on your record then maybe you need to consult with a person that can help you with your interviewing  skills. I'm 100% sure your expunged  record  is not the problem

ZakO    554
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Yes the lawyers i talked to on avvo most of them from where my current state is. Anyways Healthy behavior or not I would like if you stop recommending therapy. Why would I pay for someone just to sit there and pretend to listen what I'm going through? Why good is it if I go to a therapist only for them to tell me that I cant have the job or life I want now? Therapy didnt help when my parents died and its not gonna help now.

And what did those lawyers say? What state are you from? Why exactly do you think a expunged misdemeanour means you can't have "the job or life you want", have you actually tried pursuing any jobs you're interested in or just spent the last 2-3 years worrying and subconsciously using the misdemeanor as an excuse? Even if, in the absolute worst (unlikely) case scenario, you live in one of the few states where expungement doesn't completely remove the arrest from your record it was only a misdemeanor, not a felony, most misdemeanors aren't going to end your career. 

I'm sorry to hear about your parents and experience with therapy, therapy for grief/bereavement can be hit or miss, something/someone has gone and there's no bringing that back. However, therapy for irrational thinking is something where you can actually work towards a potential solution. Take it or leave it, I won't bring it up again but I think dismissing it would be a mistake. 

Edited by ZakO