Does anyone still purchase music?

PGHammer

I have not purchased a CD in over two decades - the last two of those were compilations (Greatest Hits-type). All too many CD releases since then have one song - at most - worth listening to; who wants to purchase a CD mostly full of dross to get the one song you want?

Jim K

Yea, I still buy CDs ... InstaLive CDs from concerts I've attended or albums from local/haven't-hit-it-big bands.  I'll also purchase albums from iTunes or whatever if I hear something I like but don't have...for example I purchased Melanie's album "As I See It Now" a few weeks ago after hearing a song from the album in the movie "The Kitchen" ... solid album.  I do not have Pandora, Spotify or whatever other streaming things there are.  I have enough music.  🙂 

nerim

Everything, and I mean EV.ER.Y.THING I have musically in my house is either a purchased mp3 from Amazon, a purchased CD from Amazon, a purchased CD from other legal sources such as record stores, book stores, etc., and I have few vinyls in the house (other than 5 copies of my late brother-in-law's country-folk band from the '70s and '80s, and I only heard the song that he wrote and sang on it), and I have a stack of about 15 78 rpm platters that my late father cut with he and his brothers singing crazy old novelty songs, shortly before they went off to fight the Nazis in WWII). Of yeah, and I have one Recordio home-cut 78 rpm disc of my late parents and my sister and myself singing kid songs on a record that was sent off to our old grandparents in the early 1950s. I do not stream, even though Amazon keeps bugging me to get an "Unlimited Streaming" membership. (The only place I "stream" is in the bathroom toilet.) 

Like Jim K above, I have enough music without wasting my time on streaming, and if I like something enough, I'll pay for it. Mostly CD's (of which I've probably bought about 50 CDs of my favorite music and my wife's, in the 2.5 months since she died.)

BTW, Jim K...that's an Army Air Force logo, isn't it? My dad was Army Air Force, a mechanic working in WWII on the engines of the P47D Thunderbolts.

Eddo89

Haven't in a while. 

The last time was because I wanted to support the musician more, and  with some merch also. 

I use Spotify because is the least hassle way for me to manage my playlist, combining old stuff with new stuff 

thisdude
Posted (edited)

On 7/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, cork1958 said:

Have a few walk in closets in basement that are pretty deep, wide and tall. Have built racks to store them in a fairly well categorized order. It is quite hard to find a specific titled disc most of the time, but with the order I have them in, I can at least find the band I'm looking for. Have a few hundred of my favorites that are stacked in regular, plain old store bought cd holder racks in alphabetical order so I can find specific cd's in those. Have always kept a list of everything  I have, so I don't have to many duplicates of titles. It has actually been a whole lot of work and at times, a PITA to have so many, but I'm always playing music where ever I'm at.

Props man! That's pretty cool! 

• Like 1
thisdude
On 7/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jim K said:

Yea, I still buy CDs ... InstaLive CDs from concerts I've attended or albums from local/haven't-hit-it-big bands.  I'll also purchase albums from iTunes or whatever if I hear something I like but don't have...for example I purchased Melanie's album "As I See It Now" a few weeks ago after hearing a song from the album in the movie "The Kitchen" ... solid album.  I do not have Pandora, Spotify or whatever other streaming things there are.  I have enough music.  🙂 

InstaLive CDs? Huh, I've never head of that before.

Jim K
2 hours ago, nerim said:

BTW, Jim K...that's an Army Air Force logo, isn't it? My dad was Army Air Force, a mechanic working in WWII on the engines of the P47D Thunderbolts.

Yea, I'm retired Air Force.  Grandpa was in the AAF briefly (right before it became AF) ... Uncle was AF ... I've always like the Hap Arnold wings/insignia.  

15 minutes ago, thisdude said:

InstaLive CDs? Huh, I've never head of that before.

My bad, Instant Live (just checked one of the CD cases)...not InstaLive.  Basically just a CD or flash drive of the concert you just attended...buy it on the way out.  Have a bunch from the Allman Brothers (RIP), Phil Lesh & Friends.  Haven't been to any concerts in the past couple of years (like ZZ Top, Brit Floyd) that offered this.

• Like 1
thisdude
9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yea, I'm retired Air Force.  Grandpa was in the AAF briefly (right before it became AF) ... Uncle was AF ... I've always like the Hap Arnold wings/insignia.  

My bad, Instant Live (just checked one of the CD cases)...not InstaLive.  Basically just a CD or flash drive of the concert you just attended...buy it on the way out.  Have a bunch from the Allman Brothers (RIP), Phil Lesh & Friends.  Haven't been to any concerts in the past couple of years (like ZZ Top, Brit Floyd) that offered this.

Nice, Allman Brothers live, now that would have been a great show to see!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now