Does anyone still purchase music?

PGHammer

I have not purchased a CD in over two decades - the last two of those were compilations (Greatest Hits-type). All too many CD releases since then have one song - at most - worth listening to; who wants to purchase a CD mostly full of dross to get the one song you want?

Jim K

Yea, I still buy CDs ... InstaLive CDs from concerts I've attended or albums from local/haven't-hit-it-big bands.  I'll also purchase albums from iTunes or whatever if I hear something I like but don't have...for example I purchased Melanie's album "As I See It Now" a few weeks ago after hearing a song from the album in the movie "The Kitchen" ... solid album.  I do not have Pandora, Spotify or whatever other streaming things there are.  I have enough music.  🙂 

nerim

Everything, and I mean EV.ER.Y.THING I have musically in my house is either a purchased mp3 from Amazon, a purchased CD from Amazon, a purchased CD from other legal sources such as record stores, book stores, etc., and I have few vinyls in the house (other than 5 copies of my late brother-in-law's country-folk band from the '70s and '80s, and I only heard the song that he wrote and sang on it), and I have a stack of about 15 78 rpm platters that my late father cut with he and his brothers singing crazy old novelty songs, shortly before they went off to fight the Nazis in WWII). Of yeah, and I have one Recordio home-cut 78 rpm disc of my late parents and my sister and myself singing kid songs on a record that was sent off to our old grandparents in the early 1950s. I do not stream, even though Amazon keeps bugging me to get an "Unlimited Streaming" membership. (The only place I "stream" is in the bathroom toilet.) 

Like Jim K above, I have enough music without wasting my time on streaming, and if I like something enough, I'll pay for it. Mostly CD's (of which I've probably bought about 50 CDs of my favorite music and my wife's, in the 2.5 months since she died.)

BTW, Jim K...that's an Army Air Force logo, isn't it? My dad was Army Air Force, a mechanic working in WWII on the engines of the P47D Thunderbolts.

Eddo89

Haven't in a while. 

The last time was because I wanted to support the musician more, and  with some merch also. 

I use Spotify because is the least hassle way for me to manage my playlist, combining old stuff with new stuff 

thisdude

On 7/6/2020 at 9:30 PM, cork1958 said:

Have a few walk in closets in basement that are pretty deep, wide and tall. Have built racks to store them in a fairly well categorized order. It is quite hard to find a specific titled disc most of the time, but with the order I have them in, I can at least find the band I'm looking for. Have a few hundred of my favorites that are stacked in regular, plain old store bought cd holder racks in alphabetical order so I can find specific cd's in those. Have always kept a list of everything  I have, so I don't have to many duplicates of titles. It has actually been a whole lot of work and at times, a PITA to have so many, but I'm always playing music where ever I'm at.

Props man! That's pretty cool! 

• Like 1
thisdude
On 7/6/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jim K said:

Yea, I still buy CDs ... InstaLive CDs from concerts I've attended or albums from local/haven't-hit-it-big bands.  I'll also purchase albums from iTunes or whatever if I hear something I like but don't have...for example I purchased Melanie's album "As I See It Now" a few weeks ago after hearing a song from the album in the movie "The Kitchen" ... solid album.  I do not have Pandora, Spotify or whatever other streaming things there are.  I have enough music.  🙂 

InstaLive CDs? Huh, I've never head of that before.

Jim K
2 hours ago, nerim said:

BTW, Jim K...that's an Army Air Force logo, isn't it? My dad was Army Air Force, a mechanic working in WWII on the engines of the P47D Thunderbolts.

Yea, I'm retired Air Force.  Grandpa was in the AAF briefly (right before it became AF) ... Uncle was AF ... I've always like the Hap Arnold wings/insignia.  

15 minutes ago, thisdude said:

InstaLive CDs? Huh, I've never head of that before.

My bad, Instant Live (just checked one of the CD cases)...not InstaLive.  Basically just a CD or flash drive of the concert you just attended...buy it on the way out.  Have a bunch from the Allman Brothers (RIP), Phil Lesh & Friends.  Haven't been to any concerts in the past couple of years (like ZZ Top, Brit Floyd) that offered this.

• Like 1
thisdude
9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Yea, I'm retired Air Force.  Grandpa was in the AAF briefly (right before it became AF) ... Uncle was AF ... I've always like the Hap Arnold wings/insignia.  

My bad, Instant Live (just checked one of the CD cases)...not InstaLive.  Basically just a CD or flash drive of the concert you just attended...buy it on the way out.  Have a bunch from the Allman Brothers (RIP), Phil Lesh & Friends.  Haven't been to any concerts in the past couple of years (like ZZ Top, Brit Floyd) that offered this.

Nice, Allman Brothers live, now that would have been a great show to see!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Apple reportedly testing Music and Podcasts apps for the Microsoft Store
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple retired iTunes for macOS back in 2019 with the release of macOS Catalina, splitting its functionality into three apps: Music, TV, and Podcasts. However, the company continued offering iTunes on Windows and had nothing to share about replacing the aging music client. A job posting spotted late in 2019 hinted towards possible efforts in that regard, with the firm calling on UWP developers to build the “next generation of media apps for Windows”. The company then made available Apple TV for Xbox late last year.

Now, a new report suggests that the Cupertino giant is working to bring its Music and Podcasts apps to the Microsoft Store. The apps are reportedly being tested as part of a private beta program and a release is expected sometime later this year. It is not clear if the apps are aimed at Xbox users alone, just like the Apple TV app, or if Apple plans to make the offerings available for the PC as well via the Microsoft Store.

Apple has been gradually expanding the availability of its services on multiple platforms. Apple TV, for instance, is making its way to Chromecast with Google TV and multiple smart TVs from LG and Sony. It will not be surprising to see the Music app make it to the Xbox, following the TV app. Though the service has a great web app. there is merit in releasing the apps for Windows 10 – and by extension for Windows 10X that is expected to launch on low-end PCs and tablets first – since it will greatly expand the reach of the company’s services via native apps.

It will be interesting to see what the iPhone company has in store for Microsoft’s platform. The introduction of native TV, Music, and Podcasts apps to Windows will be a welcome addition for users of the services.

Source: 9to5Mac

• By Ather Fawaz
      Samsung debuts its new brand sound to appeal to young folks
      by Ather Fawaz

Samsung kicked off its CES 2021 announcements with a new brand sound, 'The Voyage', complemented by a new animation of the company’s letter mark logo.

Created by sound designers specializing in creating sound for product functions, Samsung claims that The Voyage represents its "overall brand identity" and is the first time that the firm will be communicating directly with its consumers via a brand sound. In line with the company’s iconic sounds like 'Over the Horizon' and 'Beyond the Horizon', the new melody presents a simplified musical scale so that the brand sound can be used in a broad range of applications.

Overall, The Voyage accentuates Samsung's efforts to be "young and playful" so that it can appeal to "the Millennial and GenZ generations, in a more friendly and flexible manner." The South Korean tech giant plans to develop various arrangements of this melody for marketing activities while maintaining a single motif. If you are interested, Samsung has posted a bunch of variants on its blog post already; you may check those out here.

• By Usama Jawad96
      YouTube reveals top trending videos and creators in the U.S. in 2020
      by Usama Jawad

2020 has been an unusual year with people all over the world being restricted to their homes for extended durations and having to rely on digital services and capabilities for the most part. On the digital services front, YouTube even decided to cancel its annual Rewind celebration. While the company blamed the current circumstances, it has to be noted that its Rewind videos have been very poorly received over the past couple of years.

While the firm may not be releasing a montage celebrating its top creators around the globe this year, it has still revealed the top trending videos and content creators in the U.S.

YouTube has divided its trending content for the U.S. in various categories. Collectively, its top 10 trending videos on the platform garnered 356 million views and were watched for 48 million hours. The channels hosting this content totaled 175 million subscribers. Trending content and creators in 2020 mainly ranged from gaming to COVID-related videos. You can view the various categories below:

Top Trending Videos (U.S.) Netflix Is A Joke - 8:46, Dave Chappelle Mark Rober - Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder SNL - First Debate Cold Open JeffreeStar - We Broke Up MrBeast - I Bought The World’s Largest Firework NikkieTutorials - I’m Coming Out. Dream - Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters GRAND FINALE NBC - Ricky Gervais’ Monologue - 2020 Golden Globes Dude Perfect - Quarantine Stereotypes SomeGoodNews - Some Good News with John Krasinski - Ep 1 Top Creators (U.S.) MrBeast Dream ZHC SSSniperwolf Tiko Chloe Ting JoshDub The Royalty Family LazarBeam James Charles Breakout Creators (U.S.) Dream Tiko Chloe Ting EddieVR charli d’amelio GeorgeNotFound Dixie D’Amelio Corpse Husband SomeGoodNews Hyram Top Music Videos (U.S.) Future - Life is Good ft. Drake Tekashi 6ix9ine - Gooba Lil Baby x 42 Dugg - We Paid NLE Choppa - Walk Em Down ft. Roddy Ricch Cardi B - WAP ft. Megan Thee Stallion DaBaby - Rockstar ft. Roddy Ricch Roddy Ricch - The Box Drake - Laugh Now Cry Later ft. Lil Durk YoungBoy Never Broke Again - Lil Top Lil Baby - The Bigger Picture While YouTube has only revealed the trending videos and content creators in the U.S. currently, it's natural to assume that it will do a similar list on a global level at some later point in time.

• By Copernic
      iTunes 12.11
      by Razvan Serea

iTunes is a free application for Windows PCs. It plays all your digital music and video. It syncs content to your iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV. And it's an entertainment superstore that stays open 24/7.

Organize your music into playlists Edit file information Record compact discs Copy files to an iPod or other digital audio player Purchase music and videos on the Internet through the built-in iTunes store Run a visualizer to display graphical effects in time to the music Encode music into a number of different audio formats. Download: iTunes 12.11 (32-bit) | 168.0 MB (Freeware)
      Download: iTunes 12.11 (64-bit) | 191.0 MB
      Links: Apple iTunes Website | iTunes 12.11 Security Updates

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Jefferson Mangubat
      Spotify will acquire podcast hosting firm Megaphone
      by Jefferson Mangubat

Spotify is beefing up its podcasting capabilities with a new acquisition move. The streaming service is acquiring Megaphone, a podcast hosting company that provides ad-insertion capabilities.

As part of the deal, Spotify will open its proprietary ad insertion system called Streaming Ad Insertion to all podcasts currently hosted on Megaphone. The system was unveiled earlier this year with the goal of bringing more relevant ads to podcast listeners. While the technology works in the same way as other podcast ads, what sets it apart from the competition is the way it inserts ads in real time.

Spotify noted that the acquisition marks the first time its ad insertion tech becomes available to a third-party platform. Dawn Ostroff, Chief Content & Advertising Business Officer at Spotify, said in a statement:

The financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed. With the addition of Megaphone, Spotify is expanding its podcast ecosystem including a number of exclusive shows. In July, the company also launched support for video podcasts and tested sharing podcast quotes on social media. The acquisition is awaiting regulatory approvals for now.