Linux Mint 20 Ulyana - Have You Upgraded?

Have you upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Ulyana?  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nick H.

Hi guys,

This morning I booted up my computer and saw a notification saying that Linux Mint 20 Ulyana is available for installation. When I was using Windows 10, if such a notification appeared I would have been one of the first to start the upgrade process (mainly to stop the nagging, but that's another matter). However, I remember performing an upgrade last year and I ended up noticing some performance issues which caused me to roll back to my previous version. I'm not certain, but I think the update that I did was to a Beta version of Tricia so that might explain a few things.

Anyway, I'm tempted to perform the upgrade to Ulyana today but first I would like to know if anyone here has already performed the upgrade, and if they have I'd be interested to know if anyone has noticed any real differences since? I've got my Timeshift all set up as well as a backup of any important data on an external HDD so it wouldn't be the end of the World if I did encounter an issue, but I thought it would be interesting to have a chat about it with people that have already made the switch. 🙂

Cheers all!

• 2 weeks later...
Nick H.

For info, I upgraded the other day. I needed to put some customisations back in place on some apps but aside from that it's running wonderfully.

The only small issue I have is when I put the computer into suspend mode. I haven't got the exact time frame down yet, but if it is left suspended for too long and I wake it up again it doesn't recognise the keyboard or touchpad. I need to do a hard restart. It's not the end of the world, since Firefox remembers all the tabs that were open, but it's a bit annoying.

Aside from that I'm very happy with the upgrade!

ThaCrip

I tried Mint v20-Cinnamon. but in the end I had to restore my Clonezilla image of Mint v19.3-Cinnamon due to the following issue...

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1841962#p1841962

in short... my hard drives/USB thumb drives (and the like) are not seen by the file manager after a clean install (I even tried the upgrade and basically has the same results) of Mint v20 like is normally expected (I even tried Xfce but basically experienced pretty much the same results) and it does not matter whether I use "BIOS+MBR(msdos)" or "UEFI+GPT", even though 'lsblk' does see the hard drives (technically I could force mounting of the hard drives/USB stick using 'Disks' etc but it's not a proper fix and will make basic things more of a chore to do). Mint v19.3 works perfect upon a clean installation in either installation mode. so it's clearly some issue with Mint v20.

so I figure if that issue is not resolved by Mint v20.1, chances are the entire Mint v20.x series won't work on my computer and my only hope is Mint v21 which will probably be out about 2 years from now and if that fails, I might be forced into using Mint's alternative release... LMDE, but I am hoping to avoid that since it's Debian based where as the mainline Mint is Ubuntu based.

funny thing is, like I mentioned in that link, if I do a clean install without any additional hard drives attached things work as expected as I can even connected a USB thumb drive and that works. but as soon as I power down the computer, reconnect my SATA cables to the additional hard drives (I got three of them) and power back up the issue returns with the hard drives/USB thumb drive.

so hopefully by Mint v20.1 things are more polished.

• 5 months later...
ThaCrip

Not long ago I was testing v20.1 beta and the issue I described above is no longer there. so...

just to see if that issue was truly fixed I decided to try clean installing v20 again that I was having issues with and the issue I described in my above post no longer happens. I am not entirely sure what I did but my best guess is it's possible I cleared my BIOS settings (like using jumper on motherboard and removing power from motherboard for some minutes) between the time I had the issue and more recently when the issue appears to have totally disappeared (at least with the UEFI+GPT install which is all I tested not long ago, which is probably best anyways).

so apparently there was no bug with Linux Mint, it was some weird glitch on my system. I am just waiting for Mint v20.1 to go final before I clean install Mint v20.1 (but ill have to backup some stuff first from my v19.3 install) which I suspect should be soon as normally it would have been out before Christmas, which is typically the case with vXX.1 versions, but I imagine more bugs turned up then they expected. so I won't be surprised if it's official release is a bit into the new year at this point, but who knows. but I would rather wait for them to get the release right then rush it to meet a deadline and have it be so-so. I could always clean install v20 and then upgrade to v20.1 once it's released but at this point ill just wait for v20.1 and then ill be set for a while since it's supported until 2025 and Mint v21 I think will be out around mid-2022 given their general release pattern. so I figure ill be on v20.x series for at least 1.5-2 years or so. probably closer to 2 years as it's probably a bit safer to wait that six months after the initial major version release as by then it should be more polished.

cork1958

I've only upgraded 1 of my Linux machines to Ulyana so far as I'm quite happy with Tricia on the other 3 machines.  No issues at all on that 1 machine but I have noticed that there are a few apps that aren't available on it that I use on Tricia, which is mainly why I haven't upgraded those other 3. I'm not positive, but I think those other apps I have on other machines aren't available due to lack of snap. To many hoops to jump though to get them installed on Ulyana. Debating on trying LMDE or going with straight up Debian because of that.

ThaCrip
16 hours ago, cork1958 said:

I'm not positive, but I think those other apps I have on other machines aren't available due to lack of snap. To many hoops to jump though to get them installed on Ulyana.

https://fossbytes.com/how-to-enable-snap-and-install-snap-packages-on-linux-mint-20/

but I can see how it might be 'too many hoops to jump through' for you though. but everything I use, which is not too much, is more of a standard install (i.e. '.deb' or PPA or through Software Manager) as I don't use snap or any alternatives to my knowledge. plus, if I recall correctly using non-standard methods wastes quite a bit more disk space since all of it's dependencies are contained within the download, which increases download size quite a bit and can waste a decent amount of disk space, especially if you start getting multiple things setup that way.

Debating on trying LMDE or going with straight up Debian because of that.

LMDE seems decent but from what little I played around with it, I am not sure if it's updates are as simple as the mainline Mint(?), like with kernel updates etc, and that's not supported for 5 years like the mainline Mint versions are. LMDE series might supported for a couple of years or so tops, at least based on fairly recent memory, which is not much as I would figure a minimum of 3 years or so as when your looking at 2 years (or so) or less, one is sort of forced to upgrade a bit too often (but I guess Win10 is sort of like that with it's 18 month(1.5 year) cycles. but upgrades tend to be a bit simpler as with Linux Mint, minor upgrades(i.e. ".0" to ".1" etc) are okay, but with major upgrades (i.e. v19.x to v20.x etc), it's best to clean install is the general word from what I have heard).

plus, I might be wrong... but I think doing basic security updates etc on the official Debian seems more complex(?) vs Mint which is easy. that's why I can't see myself dumping the main Mint (Ubuntu based) anytime soon as it's a wonder people don't make stuff a bit more simple on Linux in general where possible as it makes no sense to make basic tasks (like security updates for OS or installing basic programs and making programs function as simple as possible) more complicated than they need to be. because while I get with Linux things in general can be a bit more complex, we don't need it to be TOO complex though either as things should still be simple enough to where you don't have to be some computer genius to do stuff that's normally a fairly simple thing (or something that does not normally require too much time to do). but I think this is partially why Linux won't become mainstream anytime soon is probably... 1)lack of software and 2)it's a bit more complicated to use compared to Windows in general (especially since one will probably have to use the terminal at some point and remembering what commands to type can be tricky etc (which is why I typically log stuff to a text file for future use in case I need to do something and forget it. but I like how you can press the up and down arrows on the keyboard to cycle through previously used terminal commands which can save time). but I think if Linux can do what someone needs, it's a solid alternative to Windows. so for what I do, Linux works well enough for me.

but anyways, maybe LMDE will be a option for some people. because right now, if for some random reason I could not use the mainline Mint, I would be seriously considering LMDE if I had to.

I've only upgraded 1 of my Linux machines to Ulyana so far as I'm quite happy with Tricia on the other 3 machines.  No issues at all on that 1 machine but I have noticed that there are a few apps that aren't available on it that I use on Tricia, which is mainly why I haven't upgraded those other 3

Yeah, at this point there is no real rush as Mint v19.x series, as I imagine you already know, is supported until April 2023. so after about 2 years from now you will have to start looking into upgrade from v19.x series soon at that point. but Mint v21.x series will be out by then since I imagine as you already know it seems like there is pretty much 2 years apart between each major release (i.e. Mint v19 is 2018, Mint v20 is 2020, Mint v21 should be 2022 etc).

but that's definitely one thing I like about the mainline Mint is 5 years of support as this does not feel too short like say a couple of years or so does where you will be sort of forced to do bigger upgrades more often. but, like I was saying, once I clean install Mint v20.1 when it's released soon enough, ill probably be on it for at least a couple of years or so and if I don't feel like upgrading in that couple of years or so, I can still put it off for another year or two if I really needed to.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
ThaCrip

I clean installed Mint v20.1-Cinnamon to my main PC about a day ago (was on Mint v19.3-Cinnamon) and so far things work pretty good but ill have to see how things are after a week or two at least, if not a month or so, to see how stable/good things are as it's too early to say for sure but my initial/early impression is positive ;) ; I still got some stuff to tweak and install but the bulk of things are setup.

but a moment ago... whatever happened I noticed the 'HDMI' output was not selectable in the Sound (i.e. right click sound icon > output device > HDMI / display port 2) as it was not there. but I decided to try loading 'Display' from the start menu in Mint v20.1 and as it accessed it screen flickered a bit and at that point I checked for the HDMI output again and it was back up and working like usual. so who knows what happened there but ill have to keep a eye on it (that's never happened when I was on Mint v19.3-Cinnamon which is why I imagine it's some glitch in relation to v20.x series) as my uptime is a bit over 19 hours so far. I am using a 1050 Ti 4GB with the proprietary NVIDIA v460.32.03 driver which is the one recommended (it's the newest one to even though there are two older ones I could try which are v390.141 and v450.102.04) in the 'Driver Manager' in Mint v20.1. I just noticed it as I was going to turn on my TV and play a video file on it instead of my computer monitor and noticed that the HDMI audio output was gone (which is what I got to select so audio is played out the TV speakers instead of my computer speakers) even though the standard computer 'Speaker' option was still there and working (but only plays audio on my PC speakers obviously). ill have to keep a eye on this to see if it returns or not. but short of this issue, I can't see any other obvious issues that are a problem (although I did have a temporary issue in relation to the Trash can but, in short, after entering the 'fstab' entries for my other three hard drives and using 'sudo mount -a' command, Trash was not working properly (but only on the three additional HDD's I used, not the main boot drive SSD which was working as expected with Trash) until I rebooted and all worked as expected then).

p.s. I clean installed Mint v20.0-Xfce to a couple of my backup computers roughly a few days ago now. ill just wait until the upgrade to v20.1 is announced and then upgrade to v20.1.

ThaCrip

UPDATE to my above post: well, at least as of a couple of days of uptime, which seems to be enough so far, just by switching to the other kernel offered in Mint v20.x series, which is the 5.8 kernel, seems to have cured basically the few issues I was having...

-HDMi audio disappearing (with 5.8 kernel, after 2 days and 1 hour of uptime as I type this, it's not disappeared yet. because before all I would have to do is basically be away from the computer for some odd hours and return and the issue showed itself)

-Trash can bug (after a bit of time passes it seems 5.4 kernel (default in Mint v20.x) on a couple of my hard drives etc if you press 'delete' on a file for example, it normally goes to Trash can and then you can right click that and select 'empty trash' and that's that, your file is permanently deleted, which is expected behavior. but once the bug kicked in, a couple of my HDD's (main boot drive(SSD) and my 4TB) still worked, while the other two (2TB/5TB) did not in the sense if you try to delete a file by pressing 'delete' key and then it's supposed to go to Trash can so I can empty it, but it does not and the file is still on hard drive in the ".Trash-1000" folder and I have to manually go into that folder and delete the files from there at which point the file is truly deleted and the hard drive space is freed up. I could have used a work-around (shift+delete, or adjust some settings in Nemo file managers preferences so when pressing 'delete' key it no longer immediately goes to Trash can but gives you a prompt to confirm file deletion at which point it's set to permanently delete the file and just skips right over the Trash can which is a work-around for the bug when I was using the 5.4 kernel), but it's nice to see I don't need to so far with the 5.8 kernel as things work as expected now.)

and as a bit of a bonus... resuming playback from a pause, GPU accelerated x264 video on SMPlayer/MPV combo no longer lags for about 2-3 seconds before video is playing like normal again. it just works perfectly. NOTE: when running only software mode, it works fine on both 5.4 and 5.8 kernels, but when using the GPU, which naturally I prefer to take the load off CPU, then 5.8 definitely works better on my system. NOTE: it seems I have to be using the HDMI audio output for that to occur on the 5.4 kernel. because I think when I was using the standard 'Speakers' audio output, which goes to my PC instead of the TV, it does not seem to do that with the lag upon resume. but when using the HDMI audio output, which is what I use when I want to watch something on the TV instead of PC monitor, it acts up.

but now that those issues appear to have disappeared (especially the HDMI audio disappearing bug, since it was the most annoying), I am definitely liking Mint v20.x over Mint v19.x as things seem to be a touch more snappier and even with file manager open windows when highlighting the open windows and it shows you that little preview before you click it, does not seem to disappear occasionally on some of the open windows like Mint v19.x does.

but only thing that's a potential draw back is the 5.8 kernel is only supported til Aug 2021, which means once they release a newer kernel ill have to switch to that at some point and hope there are no regressions. but who knows, maybe as time passes, 5.4 LTS kernel will start working properly once again(?) (since it's probably all around best to use that if possible due to it being supported for the life of the Mint v20.x series, which is til 2025). but I suspect not.

Mindovermaster
2 hours ago, ThaCrip said:

but only thing that's a potential draw back is the 5.8 kernel is only supported til Aug 2021, which means once they release a newer kernel ill have to switch to that at some point and hope there are no regressions. but who knows, maybe as time passes, 5.4 LTS kernel will start working properly once again(?) (since it's probably all around best to use that if possible due to it being supported for the life of the Mint v20.x series, which is til 2025). but I suspect not.

You have to do that with any kernel update, dude...

ThaCrip
11 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

You have to do that with any kernel update, dude...

Not in terms of more bigger version increases as it's typically just 5.4.0-xx to 5.4.0-xx and not 5.4 to say 5.5 etc as here is how things work on Mint series so far on a clean installation...

-Mint v19.0-19.2 = 4.15 LTS (which is supported for the life of Mint v19.x which is til 2023 (but one can opt for 5.4 which is supported til April 2023 at this point))

-Mint v19.3 = 5.0 (but I assume these automatically upgrade to newer kernels as they are released. but at this point seems to have stopped on 5.4 which (Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels) is supported for the rest of the Mint v19.x series until April 2023 (and so is 4.15 LTS))

-Mint v20.x (so far) = 5.4 LTS (supported til April 2025 which is when Mint v20.x series support ends in general.)

but... since I changed to the newer 5.8 on Mint v20.1, which is not LTS on Mint and is the only other one listed in the Update Manager > View > Linux Kernel's section, it specifically says it's supported but only until August 2021 and not April 2025 like the LTS version(s) is. so while ill get kernel updates here and there in between it's always small updates to the 5.8 series, like... 5.8.0-xx (which the rest of the Mint kernels listed above does similarly, so your basically on the same main kernel version for the life of the Mint series unless you switch to those non-LTS ones). I imagine once that expires it will automatically start offering me newer kernels which appear to be supported for 6 months. but this is the first time I used a non-LTS kernel on Mint since I have been using it which was Jan 2019 to date and I basically stuck with the 4.15 LTS kernel when I was on Mint v19 series.

I am not sure which is the next short term supported one that will be offered on Mint v20.x. maybe 5.9 or newer(?). but ill find out eventually. but the head developer over at Mint suggests most people stick to the LTS kernel that comes with the Mint installation by default (at least on the standard releases even though the 'edge' release comes with 5.8 but it's only supported, like I was saying, until August 2021) unless one has to use a newer one basically. but in my case 5.8 clearly works better given the bugs disappeared and is still good so far after 2 days and 16hours+ of uptime.

Edited by ThaCrip