Network upgrade time :)

Hi there! I'm looking for any input/advice on some new equipment to upgrade my current networking gear:

Cisco DPC-3925 Cable Modem provided by the ISP (in bridge mode) ----> Archer c9 v1 ----> TP-Link 8 port dumb switch ----> Apple Airport Extreme (In bridge mode, basically an access point)

The Airport Extreme is at the far end of the house as an access point because the Archer c9 can't reach that far, there is a column in the center of the house that I like to call: wifi killer.

My main goal is:

1 - Replace the Archer c9 with a pfSense box (I haven't decided: virtualized with a intel nic (dual or quad port) or something like sg-3100/sg-5100 perhaps?)

2 - Replace the TP-Link dumb switch with a ubiquiti switch with poe (or not)

3 - Since both the Archer c9 and the Airport Extreme will be gone, I'd like to put to access points (ubiquiti nanoHD of FlexHD?) to cover the entire house.

Nothing is carved in stone, so any suggestions will be welcomed!

As far as devices on the network go...there are:

1 - 4 smartphones

2 - 5 tablets

3 - 6 computers

4 - PS4

5 - DVR (security cameras) - At some point this will be replaced with IP Cameras and maybe use the Synology as a hub/controller.

6 - A Synology NAS (that decided to die yesterday...looking for a replacement) - Currently virtualized on VMWare with xpenology.

I do use OpenVPN from time to time (mostly to check on the security cameras, sometimes to download a file from the NAS).

Thanks!

1 hour ago, nekrosoft13 said:

build your own pfsense box, don't buy the overpriced/underporforming hardware they try to sell.

Did that about 2 years ago.

But as to your switch, get a managed one.

I'm sure @BudMancan give you some pointers :)

Something like UniFi Switch USW-24-POE Gen2 (Currently 368 on Amazon) or Cisco SG350-28-K9-NA (Currently 375 on Amazon)?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:02 PM, nekrosoft13 said:

build your own pfsense box, don't buy the overpriced/underporforming hardware they try to sell.

I'd would buy their stuff, so when they release an update I know it's been tested on their own hardware.

I have some of Netgate's "overpriced hardware".  It's quiet and runs cool.  It's been solid for me and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

OP: How fast is your internet connection?

As of now 100/5, waiting for the ISP to bring 1gb to this area...but well...

Edited by dreiko