• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Heating / Hot air vent question

Recommended Posts

Bruinator    48
Posted (edited)

I am wondering if I can take my hot air vent off of my wall in my bathroom and replace it with an exhaust fan so I can get the humidity out of my it when taking a shower in the summer as it is way to hot in it as my bathroom isnt very big? Would the heat still be able to enter in the room throw the exhaust vent which will not be on during that time of year. The exhaust fan I would use would be the kind i can plug into an outlet.

 

I assume I cant but I am not sure so I am asking here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bruinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    15,692

You don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom...usually above the crapper?  That is one of its uses...to suck out the humidity (as well as foul odors).

 

I wouldn't do what you're thinking of doing.  Without knowing your setup:

1) That isn't what it is made for

2) You'd being sucking in moisture into your ductwork (mold) and/or introducing moisture into your heating element (corrosion).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    48
22 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You don't have an exhaust fan in the bathroom...usually above the crapper?  That is one of its uses...to suck out the humidity (as well as foul odors).

 

I wouldn't do what you're thinking of doing.  Without knowing your setup:

1) That isn't what it is made for

2) You'd being sucking in moisture into your ductwork (mold) and/or introducing moisture into your heating element (corrosion).

I have a light there now above the toilet that doesnt work. I want to use the exhaust fan instead of a light because i have a light above my vanity that lights up the room with enough light. If I do this, can I just let the air exhaust go up to my attic and let the air go in there? My attic as a vent on each side of my house or would I have to hook up an exhaust tube and run it to the vent on the house so it can exhaust to the outside?

 

Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    15,692

You don't want to vent into the attic. Bathroom exhaust fans are vented out through the ceiling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    48
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You don't want to vent into the attic. Bathroom exhaust fans are vented out through the ceiling.

Yes, as my attic is above my bathroom as the unit will be in there but the vent itself will be in the bathroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    15,692

Right....but you don't want to vent into the attic. You want to vent out through the roof (sorry, I said calling before).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    48
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Right....but you don't want to vent into the attic. You want to vent out through the roof (sorry, I said calling before).

This is the unit I am talking about. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-80-CFM-Ceiling-Mount-Roomside-Installation-Bathroom-Exhaust-Fan-BPT13-14D/308577331

 

Couldnt  i run an exhaust tube from the unit and run it to the vent that exhausts to the vent that is on the side of my house to the outside? The vent is about 1 ft from the roof top.

Edited by Bruinator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    15,692

Yea, I don't see why not as long as it ends up exhausting directly outdoors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bruinator    48
1 minute ago, Jim K said:

Yea, I don't see why not as long as it ends up exhausting directly outdoors.

That is what i thought would be the proper way to go. TYVM Jim. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.