HDMI cables: What am I looking for?

I know that stores tend to horribly overprice their HDMI cables.

I want to buy HDMI cables, but not overpay for them.

When buying HDMI cables, what specs should I be looking for?

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

I know that stores to overprice their HDMI cables.

First, only buy cables like this at monoprice.com.  This is where I have bought all my cables and they are all good and always a very good price.  Specifications depend on what you're using it for, but for the most part, they all pretty much do the same.

For example, this HDMI cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992  is high speed and its 15ft length is only $8.79.  Never go anywhere else.  And in CA and AZ, you will get your products quickly.  

• Like 3

I think I had done some research few days ago and made the following notes (for myself):

HDMI 1.3 added expanded color profile support
HDMI 1.4 added FHD 120 Hz
HDMI 2.0 added 4k, 60 Hz, HDR10, static metadata for HDR (e.g. HDR10)
HDMI 2.1 added 4K/10K 120 Hz, dynamic metadata (HDR10+)

DisplayPort 1.2 added proper color profile support and G-Sync
DisplayPort 1.3 added 4K UHD at 120 Hz, Compressed streams support
DisplayPort 1.4 added HDR support

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

I think I had done some research few days ago and made the following notes (for myself):

...but that's for the devices, not the HDMI cables

For example:

There are HDMI 2.1 devices.

This is no HDMI 2.1 cable.

8 minutes ago, devHead said:

First, only buy cables like this at monoprice.com.  This is where I have bought all my cables and they are all good and always a very good price.  Specifications depend on what you're using it for, but for the most part, they all pretty much do the same.

For example, this HDMI cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=3992  is high speed and its 15ft length is only $8.79.  Never go anywhere else.  And in CA and AZ, you will get your products quickly.  

Right now, I am looking for HDMI cables for a 4K TV, but I want know, in general, what specifications am I looking for?

Specifically, how do I compare different HDMI cables?

AFAIK, HDMI cables are definitely by version of the standard. DisplayPort cables are by speed of the bandwidth the user needs to drive particular combo of GPU+Monitor at particular refresh rate, HDR etc, all features between DisplayPort cables being the same but the bandwidth deciding what version features are enabled.

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

For example:

Right now, I am looking for HDMI cables for a 4K TV, but I want know, in general, what specifications am I looking for?

Did you look at the specs for the cable I sent a link to?  

Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YCbCr 4:4:4 28AWG

This isn't like buying motherboards  or home cinema stereo system.  There is no need to spend hours poring over all kinds of specs of different products on different sites.  You get this cable and you will be happy as a clam.

7 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

For example:

If you need to do a ton of research on HDMI cables and their specifications, I would recommend a Google search.  But if you want a recommendation based on what you need, monoprice.com is the place to go.  You can read reviews and specs on their products and make an informed decision.

5 minutes ago, devHead said:

Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YCbCr 4:4:4 28AWG

This isn't like buying motherboards  or home cinema stereo system.  There is no need to spend hours poring over all kinds of specs of different products on different sites.  You get this cable and you will be happy as a clam.

I did.

My point is: "This cable will work" is not the type of advise I am looking for.

What I want is know is: why I should or should not be buying the cable?

16 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

I did.

My point is: "This cable will work" is not the type of advise I am looking for.

What I want is know is: why I should or should not be buying the cable?

I didn't simply say, "this cable will work"

The specifications on the cable will give you the information you need.  But if you want a ton of information on HDMI cables, their specs and features, that is some research you need to do on your own.  Your original post was 

That tells me you want to find a place that sells HDMI cables for a reasonable price.  I gave you that information.

I said that depends on what you're using it for.  After you stated what you needed, I showed that the cable I linked to met those standards.  But if you're really interested in doing research into all things HDMI, this forum isn't going to be a rich source of info.  Do you really just want someone to spoon-feed all the information you want?  That's what a Google search is for. 

As to your question as to why, the specifications of the cable I linked to explain that - it is for 4K @ 60Hz.   Read the additional specs of the product, and the product reviews. 

This isn't rocket science Mockingbird.  The product I linked to has this kind of reviews and answered questions.  If you are really interested in this, can you do some of the research yourself?

image.thumb.png.8e9d053ce122c3a4c68846482dfb9338.png

"Lower spec" cables can work at "higher spec", but just haven't been tested.

The spec on the cable says what it has been tested for and is the minimum it is capable of, not necessarily everything it is capable of.

The cables in my system were bought in 2010, and thus not certified for 4K.  I don't have any problem with 4K content when using them. 

7 minutes ago, devHead said:

Google search is for. 

As to your question as to why, the specifications of the cable I linked to explain that - it is for 4K @ 60Hz.   Read the additional specs of the product, and the product reviews. 

This isn't rocket science Mockingbird.  

Do you really think I didn't do that before posting?

What I am looking for is: What really matters and what is just fancy marketing?

For example: Is just choosing by bandwidth sufficient or is there something else I should look for?

57 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

: Is just choosing by bandwidth sufficient or is there something else I should look for?

Mockingbird, you didn't ask that question in the original post. You posted this as if you were looking for a recommendation of a HDMI cable that wasn't overpriced and could handle the specs you said you needed.  This has been provided and now you're asking additional questions. If you did all kinds of research before posting, what exactly are you looking for on this forum, if not a recommendation to cut through all the research you've done?  There is no 'fancy marketing' on monoprice.com  That's why their costs are lower than most other places.

5 minutes ago, devHead said:

Mockingbird, you didn't ask that question in the original post. You posted this as if you were looking for a recommendation of a HDMI cable that wasn't overpriced and could handle the specs you said you needed.  This has been provided and now you're asking additional questions. If you did all kinds of research before posting, what exactly are you looking for on this forum, if not a recommendation to cut through all the research you've done?  There is no 'fancy marketing' on monoprice.com  That's why their costs are lower than most other places.

Hmm...

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

Notice how I asked "Which specs should I be looking for?" and not "Which cables should I be looking for?".

2 hours ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

DisplayPort 1.2 added proper color profile support and G-Sync
DisplayPort 1.3 added 4K UHD at 120 Hz, Compressed streams support
DisplayPort 1.4 added HDR support

I don't think you need any particular cables for HDMI. Just one that is good and well built. I have a very old HDMI Cable and i use it to plug my computer in my 4K HDTV and i can display at 4k60Hz no problem.

2 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

That they are rated for high speed for 4K and ultra high speed for 8K. That’s it. The rest is marketing crap. 

Edited by adrynalyne

35 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Hmm...

Notice how I asked "Which specs should I be looking for?" and not "Which cables should I be looking for?".

Notice how he tried to help you and you were being rude to him?

1 hour ago, LaP said:

I don't think you need any particular cables for HDMI. Just one that is good and well built. I have a very old HDMI Cable and i use it to plug my computer in my 4K HDTV and i can display at 4k60Hz no problem.

That is what I initially thought, but then I went to look up the specification and it said that 15.68 Gbit/s is needed to do 4K at 60 Hz

I think it's what Fahim S. said earlier.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

Get Monster HDMI cables. They are super expensive, but the price is worth it because they use quantum bitcoin machine learning to give you the best picture quality money can buy.

Edited by spy beef

7 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

That is what I initially thought, but then I went to look up the specification and it said that 15.68 Gbit/s is needed to do 4K at 60 Hz

It doesn't means you need a special cable though. Just one able to handle the necessary bandwidth. Cheap old cables might not be able to. Old cables were not tested for 2.0 or 2.1 bandwidth as it was not required back then but if it's a good cable it will be able to provide it probably. I mean if you buy a new cable yeah you can buy one certified able to provide the necessary bandwidth but the cable itself is not really special it's certified as able to provide the necessary bandwidth for either 2.0 or 2.1. I would not pay extra for a cable personally. Just buy a brand new one from Monoprice and it will work. I mean if my old cable i bought like i dunno 10 years ago can do 4k60Hz no reason for a brand new cable from a know brand like Monoprice to not be able to do it. HDMI is more about the device than the cable. If you got a 2.1 device (don't know if they are out yet) maybe an ordinary cable wont be able to provide the bandwidth (dunno i've not tested) but for HDMI 2.0 unless your cable is terrible it will work.

Edited by LaP

20 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Hmm...

Notice how I gave you the explicit specifications of the cable I recommended that would work for you based on your stated requirements.

What other specs do you think there are?  These are just cables.  Then you changed the question to why you should buy these cables.  The answer to that is because given the information you've provided, that cable will do the job.  I can't comprehend how you doing all kinds of research and getting multiple people to give you information in this forum, but you still can't make a decision on something as relatively simple as picking out a HDMI cable.  Then you give a thumbs up to LaP who also didn't answer your question with any more detail than me.  I don't know Mockingbird; I really can't fully understand what you're looking for.  You also wanted a recommendation on getting one for a good price, but you've seemed to ignore that as well.  

19 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

The one I recommended to you has this Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YCbCr 4:4:4 28AWG.

Are those the specs you're looking for?  

23 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

For example:

There is an HDMI 2.1 cable.

Supporting the 48Gbps bandwidth is the new Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. The cable ensures ultra high-bandwidth dependent features are delivered including uncompressed 8K video with HDR.

Old cables are able to deliver you up to 18Gbps of bandwidth. The new ones 48.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

6 minutes ago, Jose_49 said:

what specifications am I looking for

To be honest you prob just want to look at the speed rating..  But if you know what feature you need, and the cable lists a spec number

hdmiversion.thumb.jpg.7555795b880e5e7c9eb0ed5941c3dfff.jpg

But it might not say 2.1 or 2 on it, etc.  But should list a speed that its grouped in

Standard, High Speed, Premium High Speed, and Ultra High Speed.

If I was in the market for a cable today, I would prob only buy a Ultra or Premium HighSpeed cable.. Say something like this from monoprice

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31230

16$ for 8ft and lists what it can do.. So it comes down to making sure what features you need for it to do, like arc or eArc, HDR?  And getting the cable that is listed to support that.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, devHead said:

Notice how I gave you the explicit specifications of the cable I recommended that would work for you based on your stated requirements.

What other specs do you think there are?  These are just cables.  Then you changed the question to why you should buy these cables.  The answer to that is because given the information you've provided, that cable will do the job.  I can't comprehend how you doing all kinds of research and getting multiple people to give you information in this forum, but you still can't make a decision on something as relatively simple as picking out a HDMI cable.  Then you give a thumbs up to LaP who also didn't answer your question with any more detail than me.  I don't know Mockingbird; I really can't fully understand what you're looking for.  You also wanted a recommendation on getting one for a good price, but you've seemed to ignore that as well.  

The one I recommended to you has this Monoprice Select Series High Speed HDMI Cable - 4K@60Hz HDR 18Gbps YCbCr 4:4:4 28AWG.

Are those the specs you're looking for?  

Example of good advice:

You should get a cable that is certified for ≥ 15.68 Gbit/s, which is bandwidth necessary to do 4K at 60 Hz.

This monoprice cable is such an example that is also affordable.

Example of bad advise:

Just get this cable!

So much arguing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Cables

https://www.hdmi.org/resource/cables

https://web.archive.org/web/20160305072940/http://www.microprocessor.org/HDMISpecification13a.pdf (page 64)

Standard: tested up to 74.25MHz, which apparently covers 720p60, 1080i60

High Speed: tested up to 340MHz, 10.2 Gbps, which fully covers up to 1.4b and all its video formats, meaning up to 4K30 (non-subsampled)

Premium High Speed: rated for 18 Gbps, covers 2.0b, up to 5K30, 4K60 (non-subsampled)

Ultra High Speed: rated for 48 Gbps, covers 2.1, up to 8K30, 5K60, 4K144 (non-compressed)

With subsampling (1.3-2.0b) or compression (2.1) you can use higher formats.

If the cable doesn't have a named certification, look for the bandwidth, 18, 48, etc.

Lower category cables might work for higher formats, but it's not guaranteed.

Edited by eddman

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

for ≥ 15.68 Gbit/s, which is bandwidth necessary to do 4K at 60 Hz.

No not really... You can do 4k at @60hz the bandwidth depends on what is your chroma, what is your color bit depth, etc. Your blanket statement is missing details, etc.

So you could do 4k@60hz with a cable that supports less than that.

Which is why your original question is missing out on pertinent info to what you you would need to look for in your cable..  Which why I pointed out the different features, and that is what you should look for.. So you should look at the speed group its in, and does it support the features your after HDR, eArc, etc. 

People are here trying to help - sorry you didn't get the specific X answer you were looking for.. But this is a forum.. Not answer my gawd damn question, with no other comments or questions..

In general what I would say, to find the right cable - what are the specific details.. What devices are in use, what media are you specific going to want to play.  If the overall goal is spend least amount of $ to provide xyz features..  If your going to speak in general terms..  All you were saying was 4k tv.. Well you could do 4k with just a cable marked as high speed, or premium.. But depending on the details and features you might need cable listed as Ultra High Speed.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, BudMan said:

No not really... You can do 4k at @60hz the bandwidth depends on what is your chroma, what is your color bit depth, etc. Your blanket statement is missing details, etc.

So you could do 4k@60hz with a cable that supports less than that.

Which is why your original question is missing out on pertinent info to what you you would need to look for in your cable..  Which why I pointed out the different features, and that is what you should look for.. So you should look at the speed group its in, and does it support the features your after HDR, eArc, etc. 

People are here trying to help - sorry you didn't get the specific X answer you were looking for.. But this is a forum.. Not answer my gawd damn question, with no other comments or questions..

In general what I would say, to find the right cable - what are the specific details.. What devices are in use, what media are you specific going to want to play.  If the overall goal is spend least amount of $ to provide xyz features..  If your going to speak in general terms..  All you were saying was 4k tv.. Well you could do 4k with just a cable marked as high speed, or premium.. But depending on the details and features you might need cable listed as Ultra High Speed.

Okay, here is the specifics, if you need it.

I want to connect the TCL 55S425 4K TV to the Apple TV 4K. (HBO Max isn't available on Roku).

...and yes, I know that HBO Max currently doesn't support 4K HDR yet, but that is supposedly coming soon