Your connection is not private / NET :: ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID; what can it be?

A question for you guys :cool:

My parents get the following message on their notebooks (two, each with Windows 10, 2004 update installed and ESET Internet Security 13.2.16.0) when they are trying to log on via their browser (I checked it both on Google Chrome and Edge):

Your connection is not private

Cyber criminals may try to steal your details from www.rabobank.nl (for example passwords, messages or credit card details).

More information NET :: ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

Help improve Chrome security by sending URLs of some pages you visit, limited system data, and certain page content to Google. Privacy Policy The server cannot prove that this is www.rabobank.nl. The server's security certificate comes from divafe.pass.bundesliga.com. This could be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Continue to www.rabobank.nl (unsafe)

I know that on Edge no extensions are used. For Chrome I'm not 100% sure.

The strange thing is... when I create a hotspot via my phone (different ISP) I get the same message.

ESET has been totally uninstalled, still with this same message.

When accessing www.rabobank.nl from an iPad (iPad OS 13.6 installed) on both Chrome and Safari the same message is shown.

When I go to www.rabobank.nl on my notebook, I can access the site. Not warnings and no messages. I also do run Win 10, 2004 update and ESET Internet Security 13.2.16.0). I have the same ISP for broadband as my parents.

What can this situation be? Is it ISP-related (in that case I should have the same issues as well I guess)?!

Might it be router-related (that's the only difference in setup between my parents and myself)?

I also think it's strange that the security certificate is somehow coming from - or the assumption is given: divafe.pass.bundesliga.com

When I click to continue a warning "Access denied" is shown and the whole page is not accessible.

It's a problem with the site. Looks like that sites security certificate is no good. 

5 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

It's a problem with the site. Looks like that sites security certificate is no good. 

I've been to the site, checked the cert, seems fine to me.  What are you basing this diagnosis on?

• Like 1

It is to do with security certificates, in earlier versions of Chrome/Chromium/Edge a single certificate was allowed to cover all subdomains, in the latest versions it's far more picky to avoid cross site trust issues.

Lots of sites still don't have the new style certificates and if you trust the site it's probably ok to click through the error message using the advanced link on the error page (i.e. it's no less safe than it was before the change).

4 minutes ago, Ixion said:

It is to do with security certificates, in earlier versions of Chrome/Chromium/Edge a single certificate was allowed to cover all subdomains, in the latest versions it's far more picky to avoid cross site trust issues.

Lots of sites still don't have the new style certificates and if you trust the site it's probably ok to click through the error message using the advanced link on the error page (i.e. it's no less safe than it was before the change).

The key is for rabobank.nl - the user is going to rabobank.nl

No subdomains in play here...

Are you certain?

So is there a way to delete (from my parents computer) certificates relating to rabobank.nl (or maybe even all certificates) and then go to this site again and de new ones 'will be newly loaded in' or something?! (or am I saying something stupid here).

Like I said... on my computers is there no error whatsoever... and also I and running the latest versions of Chrome, Edge (and Brave).

But than again... why is this present on Windows PC as well as iPad (different OS'es, different browsers)?!

Same (WiFi-)network they're connecting, although on their Windows PC with my iPhone as hotspot on a different carrier the same error occurs (so I guess not network/ISP related than).

43 minutes ago, Code Name: Lockdown said:

The key is for rabobank.nl - the user is going to rabobank.nl

No subdomains in play here...

Are you certain?

While his diagnosis is wrong, the sub domain is www.*

Which is still valid for this cert. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

So is there a way to delete (from my parents computer) certificates relating to rabobank.nl (or maybe even all certificates) and then go to this site again and de new ones 'will be newly loaded in' or something?! (or am I saying something stupid here).

Like I said... on my computers is there no error whatsoever... and also I and running the latest versions of Chrome, Edge (and Brave).

But than again... why is this present on Windows PC as well as iPad (different OS'es, different browsers)?!

Same (WiFi-)network they're connecting, although on their Windows PC with my iPhone as hotspot on a different carrier the same error occurs (so I guess not network/ISP related than).

Your best bet is to actually go to the site despite the warnings and examine the cert info. Don’t enter any info. 

23 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Your best bet is to actually go to the site despite the warnings and examine the cert info. Don’t enter any info. 

That's not possible... going to the website (via Ignore) gives a new page with 'Access denied' and an error code. Nothing can be done there.... just a plain, simple html-website thingy.

48 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

That's not possible... going to the website (via Ignore) gives a new page with 'Access denied' and an error code. Nothing can be done there.... just a plain, simple html-website thingy.

And what did the url end up being?

1 hour ago, kiddingguy said:

screenshot?

almost sounds like it's being blocked by your ISP then or something.

33 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

screenshot?

almost sounds like it's being blocked by your ISP then or something.

Not specifically the ISP, because when I use my cell carrier (KPN), a different one than their ISP (Ziggo), I still get the same message on their notebooks.

So I think not ISP related (though cannot confirm 100%).

I haven't yet tried my notebook on their WiFi-network. Or my mum's and dad's notebook on my WiFi. Might be something to try....

EDIT:

I'll try to obtain the screenshots.... :)

6 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Not specifically the ISP, because when I use my cell carrier (KPN), a different one than their ISP (Ziggo), I still get the same message on their notebooks.

So I think not ISP related (though cannot confirm 100%).

I haven't yet tried my notebook on their WiFi-network. Or my mum's and dad's notebook on my WiFi. Might be something to try....

EDIT:

I'll try to obtain the screenshots.... :)

oh, that's even more telling if you get the same issue on a cellphone that's not even on the same network.

their web dev must have broke or forgot to renew something. if that's the case there's not much you'll be able to do unless you know of a support email for them you can contact.

12 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

oh, that's even more telling if you get the same issue on a cellphone that's not even on the same network.

their web dev must have broke or forgot to renew something. if that's the case there's not much you'll be able to do unless you know of a support email for them you can contact.

Well the thing is... on my notebooks at home (on my home wifi-network; different than my parents') this www.rabobank.nl site is working as it should be.

Also with Windows 10, May 2020 update & the same version of ESET Internet Security installed (as well as with Chrome and Edge).

So for some reason it looks like it's all machine related at my parents (both 2 notebooks of theirs & and iPad)... :wacko:

Just now, kiddingguy said:

Well the thing is... on my notebooks at home (on my home wifi-network; different than my parents') this www.rabobank.nl site is working as it should be.

Also with Windows 10, May 2020 update & the same version of ESET Internet Security installed (as well as with Chrome and Edge).

So for some reason it looks like it's all machine related at my parents (both 2 notebooks of theirs & and iPad)... :wacko:

Have you tried incognito with ad blockers turned off?

It's possible that ESET's SSL filtering is causing the issue. Try disabling it by going to Settings--Advanced Setup--Web And Email--SSL/TLS and unchecking all options there. And finally restart WIndows.

https://i.imgur.com/JRVF3zP.png

Hello,

From the error message, it sounds like there was a URL on the bank's web page, divafe.pass.bundesliga.com, which was trying to serve up content for radobank.nl.  I cannot reproduce the error now, so I am guessing whatever occurred has since been fixed by the bank's IT department.  From looking at https://www.eset.com/nl/over/contact/, ESET's technical support can be contacted at +31 (0)184 647 730, so if the problem is still happening, I would suggest calling them for further assistance.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Turns out it was ISP related.

For some reason the modem hadn't been rebooted for 26x days and kinda 'hung' on something.

A reset fixed the issue and everything is working again as it should be. And rabobank.nl can be reached and visited again.

Thx for the help and replies!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Turns out it was ISP related.

For some reason the modem hadn't been rebooted for 26x days and kinda 'hung' on something.

A reset fixed the issue and everything is working again as it should be. And rabobank.nl can be reached and visited again.

Thx for the help and replies!

Reset fixes everything, bro. 😛