any modern scenarios for Windows Mobile devices ?

I have at least two Windows Mobile devices ... I really do not want to put them on hold permanently or get rid of them ... and I am wondering ... if there are any modern scenarios for these devices ? such as syncing between computer and phone ?

could anyone think of any uses for them ? please don't say something like 'paperweights' ...

Hello,

If you still support a a Windows Mobile-based app, you might use the devices for testing purposes.

As for more consumer-centric uses... maybe as an MP3 player?  That should not require a network connection, so using one for that purpose might be sensible.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

How's the battery life on your devices? I used my 950 until the battery finally crapped out (it was never the same after overheating in a car during the summer). TBH even though it's old, if I could get it working again I'd use it much the same - internet browsing and email, texting, music, camera (for documentation at work), car navigation.

Hello,

I replaced the battery in my Lumia 950 about a year ago.  It works well enough to act as an MP3 player in airplane mode on a long flight (8+ hours) — at least, that was back when i was taking flights last year.  I'm not sure if the battery may have degraded a little since then.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

13 hours ago, zhangm said:

How's the battery life on your devices? I used my 950 until the battery finally crapped out (it was never the same after overheating in a car during the summer). TBH even though it's old, if I could get it working again I'd use it much the same - internet browsing and email, texting, music, camera (for documentation at work), car navigation.

I would have to check with this to be honest with you; the devices to which I refer are running Windows Mobile 6.0, Windows Mobile 6.5, and Windows Mobile 2003. Windows Mobile is my favourite mobile OS ( disregarding Windows Phone 8/8.1 or Windows 8/8.1 ).

• HTC Touch 2
  • Samsung SCH-i760
  • Toshiba e355

I really, really do not want to get rid of them. I want ... to have more contemporary scenarios ( e.g., syncing ). There has to be something ? Especially for Windows Mobile 2003. I am not sure if Windows 10 even supports the ActiveSync software ( though I have WIndows XP, WIndows Vista, and of course Windows 8.1 if necessary ).

You would still use yours for such things, though ? I think Internet browsing would be out of the question for me ... perhaps texting too ... Car navigation too since there is no car mode ( thanks, WIndows Phone 8 ! ).

Camera ... MP3 player ... but ... what else, do you think ... ? Any reply would be appreciated !

Hello,

A lot of these older devices have infra-red ports, so maybe act as universal remote controls?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 1 month later...

You could do this feature people rarely know exist on phones these days:  Make calls!  I know, shocking, isn't it?

Also, if there's any apps that are essential to you that they still have working versions on Windows Mobile, I guess you could use that few.