Power over Ethernet question

I am looking at buying this camera and it shows that it is a PoE device, and I know nothing about PoE and how it works, so my biggest question is what (if anything) do I need to get it to work?

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I am looking at buying [url="https://reolink.com/product/rlc-410/"]this Camera[/url] and it shows that it is a PoE device, and I know nothing about PoE and how it works, so my biggest question is what (if anything) do I need to get it to work?

I don't have any experience with cameras 

Yeah what @NJ Louch said lol.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

I don't have any experience with cameras 

Yeah what @NJ Louch said lol.

Trying to steal credit? Shame on you! :D

11 minutes ago, NJ Louch said:

A switch that provides power over ethernet, or an injector - I believe.

However, it also has a "normal" power connector, you aren't forced into PoE...

rlc-410-3-en[1].jpg

Which method would be better, PoE or standalone power? The two cameras I have right now are both WiFi and use a standalone power connection.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Which method would be better, PoE or standalone power? The two cameras I have right now are both WiFi and use a standalone power connection.

All depends on your layout/situation. It's mostly about saving cords when able.

If you're planning to go over WiFi anyway then PoE isn't useful to you and you can just use the standard power connection still.

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Trying to steal credit? Shame on you! :D

Define better?

I think that PoE injectors are a cheap way to go, but a PoE switch is probably the neater and "correct" (IMO) way to do it.

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

All depends on your layout/situation. It's mostly about saving cords when able.

If you're planning to go over WiFi anyway then PoE isn't useful to you and you can just use the standard power connection still.

So if I have a location that would require a bit of work to run a cable then PoE might not be the best way to go?

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Define better?

I think that PoE injectors are a cheap way to go, but a PoE switch is probably the neater and "correct" (IMO) way to do it.

The area that I am thinking of installing the camera is ~20 feet from the router (but outside of course) would you say that it would be worth the time/expense to run a dedicated ethernet cable to a PoE switch and then to the router, or would going WiFi be the better method?

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

The area that I am thinking of installing the camera is ~20 feet from the router (but outside of course) would you say that it would be worth the time/expense to run a dedicated ethernet cable to a PoE switch and then to the router, or would going WiFi be the better method?

Again, personally, I'd run a ethernet cable. 

Cable is always going to be better ;)

And allows for POE for sure.  Be it you use injector, or get a poe switch.  Unless you plan on doing more than a couple camera's the added cost of poe switch for 1 or 2 cameras is prob not cost effective.  If you plan on setting up quite a few camera's or other poe devices then yeah a poe switch would help with less wiring.  Can give you some control over removing power from specific camera's via just switch command to remove power from them - if you need to reboot them or something.

Looking at that camera (whats in box section) doesn't seem to list that it comes with an injector?  And I don't see one to purchase on the accessory list?  They do seem to sell power adapters for them..

It lists in specs that it uses 802.3af for POE, so make sure if you get a switch or injector to use that is what is puts out or supports.  There are currently 3 main specs for poe 802.3af, at and the newer bt standard.