Internet issue, need hardware solution

So i live in a place where internet is an issue, there is only "4G" and DSL. Some time ago the government decided to promote a public politic of free internet by creating internet spots that transmit internet so any citizen can have a good internet bandwidth. Obviously the near you are the better signal you have.

In my specific case i was (and still am) paying internet 4G (which is limited to 3G) and only in a small spot of my house i could get free internet. Since some time ago a new building has been constructed and that small free access i had was gone because the building blocks the signal.

The internet transmitter spot stays 150m away from my home and even so has a better internet than i get from "4G", is there anyway i can capture the signal and distribute it inside my house?

I guess i would need an antenna pointed towards the transmitter and a router, the question is: which ones do you recommend?

This might be an answer for @BudMan

If you're apartment can put a reciever/acesspoint in your area of the house, that might be a better option, I think. Rather than trying to bounce it off with a satellite.

1 hour ago, camuflage said:

free internet by creating internet spots that transmit internet so any citizen can have a good internet bandwidth

What do you have to do to access this?  Is it just open wifi, do you have to auth to it - if so how.. Do you have to use an app on your phone or something?

Does it use some sort of captive portal to gain access... Some details of how you access said connection, will give us options to make said connection better for your location.

• Like 2

On 27/09/2020 at 22:03, BudMan said:

What do you have to do to access this?  Is it just open wifi, do you have to auth to it - if so how.. Do you have to use an app on your phone or something?

Does it use some sort of captive portal to gain access... Some details of how you access said connection, will give us options to make said connection better for your location.

It's not protect, i just login and i'm online, the velocity is incredible. Well used to be like this until the building was made and now i have no signal.

No need for app at all, the wifi of my cell phone identifies the open network and connect. No portal at all.

17 hours ago, camuflage said:

No portal at all.

Then how are you logging in?  Its just a normal wpa/wpa2-psk network?  Or an wpa/wpa2-enterprise?

With this statement "It's not protect" sounded like its just an open wifi.. But that is not the case if your authing to it with some sort of login.. If not portal - then it must be a psk or enterprise setup.  PSK would be very simple, what they are using for enterprise auth might be bit more complicated.

Is there some site that might give insight into the methods they use for auth, for people that are having issues.. Such a site would be helpful in gleaning the details.

11 hours ago, BudMan said:

Then how are you logging in?  Its just a normal wpa/wpa2-psk network?  Or an wpa/wpa2-enterprise?

With this statement "It's not protect" sounded like its just an open wifi.. But that is not the case if your authing to it with some sort of login.. If not portal - then it must be a psk or enterprise setup.  PSK would be very simple, what they are using for enterprise auth might be bit more complicated.

Is there some site that might give insight into the methods they use for auth, for people that are having issues.. Such a site would be helpful in gleaning the details.

Basically it's a 9 meters tall poll transmitter of wifi signal. I can login with my laptop, tablet or cell phone, just see the name on the wifi list, click and get in. No configuration is needed. 100Mbps speed. In a straight line from my measures using google maps is around 120 meters of distance.

Edited by camuflage

10 hours ago, camuflage said:

I can login with my laptop, tablet or cell phone, just see the name on the wifi list, click and get in.

So its an open wifi signal - its not psk or enterprise.. Does your phone complain to you that its unsecure?

Login means you sent something to identify yourself, open wifi asks you for nothing.

Is the signal 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  I would assume 2.4 just because its longer range..

On 02/10/2020 at 12:03, BudMan said:

So its an open wifi signal - its not psk or enterprise.. Does your phone complain to you that its unsecure?

Login means you sent something to identify yourself, open wifi asks you for nothing.

Is the signal 2.4ghz or 5ghz?  I would assume 2.4 just because its longer range..

No the phone doesn't complain just connects and it is done.

Going to answer the questions?

What does the phone not complain have to do with if you had to put in a psk or not.  And what is the connection 2.4 or 5?  Both?

If all it is your typical wifi psk, or open even you could just use any wireless client bridge device..  The trick is knowing exactly what is supported so you make sure the device you get supports that.

Is it N or AC connection?

Any sort of client bridge device could be used, or any old router running dd-wrt for example should be able to be used as a client bridge..

clientbridge.png.d79d5f99396026c5aafcaddb269acac4.png

What you then do with that connection, just put multiple devices on it, put it in front of a router would be up to you..

• 2 weeks later...

Can you recommend please any client bridge device or router dd-wrt models so i can test the system?

Won't the building in the middle block the signal to arrive to my device?

I want to be able just to distribute the signal inside home so i can use the laptop and phone.

14 hours ago, camuflage said:

Won't the building in the middle block the signal to arrive to my device?

You have to put this client bridge somewhere you can get a signal..  You can use a better antenna on it..

Lets say in the back bedroom, near the window you can get a signal.. But no in the living room you get nothing from this signal. Then you put the client bridge near this back bedroom window.  Put a fancy antenna on it if you want..  Then from there you can connect this client bridge via wire to your local AP to provide wifi for your house.

Pretty much any router that can use dd-wrt would work - find one that fits your budget..  You still have not provided any details of this signal.. Is it 2.4, is it 5 n or ac?

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

You still have not provided any details of this signal.. Is it 2.4, is it 5 n or ac?

considering it sounds like it's a wide range coverage I would have to assume it's 2.4ghz N; I can't see the others being wide enough reaching.

8 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I can't see the others being wide enough reaching.

Well then throws out 5G all together, its what like 1000 FT - better have the boys back to the drawing board.. Vs rolling that out globally ;)

Have no idea what FREE wifi some city/village setup ?  For all we know its a tplink wifi router stuck to a pole? ;)

>100Mbps speed.

Doesn't sound like 2.4 N to me..