Windows Update "mandatory" update keeps giving issues

On my new Asus VivoBook I get this Windows Update driver.

I cannot not chose to install this update: Windows does it automatically.

After this installation, my graphic drivers are having issues and keep blocking. And after a reboot the Radion Software and Driver versions do not match.

The only thing to do, it to reinstall the AMD Radeon drivers, but after a Windows Update - and mandatory installation of these AMD Display Drivers the same thing happens.

I only can opt for not running the Windows Update, but how do I stop this.

Or can I select a "do not install at all"? Because this update is buggy as h***.

Windows-AMD bug.jpg

Have you tried manually downloading the latest display drivers from AMD (if possible)? Or tried downloading it through the Microsoft Update Catalog? That link is where I was sent after typing the driver number in to Google, I'm not saying that it is the correct one you need. It also looks like there are more recent drivers available from there.

7 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Have you tried manually downloading the latest display drivers from AMD (if possible)? Or tried downloading it through the Microsoft Update Catalog? That link is where I was sent after typing the driver number in to Google, I'm not saying that it is the correct one you need. It also looks like there are more recent drivers available from there.

I have the official AMD drivers WHQL drivers 20.9.1 (didn't go for the optional/experimental 20.9.2), so I guess that's more up-to-date than Microsoft's (generic) version. Right?

I have the "Radeon RX Vega 6" inegrated in my Ryzen 5 4500U, so not the @Nick H. 'AMD Vega 3' as you list.

When I search in the Microsoft Update Catalog on 'Vega 6' it's: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.1023.6005 as most recent version.

So, Windows Update....  why come up with v26 on my notebook?

But Windows Update is acting weirdly recently, so this one can also be put on this list.

I don't know if this will work but download this troubleshooter and hide the above update, WU shouldn't try to install it anymore if it's hidden.

Troubleshooter tool.

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

See if this helps.

Oh, btw, I forgot to ask, what version of Windows 10 are you on?  As of the August 2020 CU drivers are now optional and you have to manually download them yourself.  So you shouldn't even see the above happen unless you're on a older version?

43 minutes ago, George P said:

Oh, btw, I forgot to ask, what version of Windows 10 are you on?  As of the August 2020 CU drivers are now optional and you have to manually download them yourself.  So you shouldn't even see the above happen unless you're on a older version?

I'm on Win 10 2004 May Update.

This isn't a CU update.... it starts downloading & installing immediately after running -and checking- for Windows Updates.

53 minutes ago, George P said:

I don't know if this will work but download this troubleshooter and hide the above update, WU shouldn't try to install it anymore if it's hidden.

Troubleshooter tool.

To run the troubleshooter, open wushowhide.diagcab, select Next, and then follow the instructions in the troubleshooter to hide the problematic driver or update.

See if this helps.

Yesss.... that one worked. It's hidden. And not visibly anymore. THX!

2 hours ago, kiddingguy said:

Yesss.... that one worked. It's hidden. And not visibly anymore. THX!

Are you on Pro?  If so check the  Group Policy and go to...   Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update.   Enable the one that says "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates".  That should stop anything like the above from happening again.  You'll just have to download them on your own manually.

33 minutes ago, George P said:

Are you on Pro?  If so check the  Group Policy and go to...   Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update.   Enable the one that says "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates".  That should stop anything like the above from happening again.  You'll just have to download them on your own manually.

I'm on Pro.

But this means that ALL driver updates are blocked, and not just selected ones. Bummer.

Hmm... it's always good to updated to latest working drivers. Without the hassle to manually - and be updated and always be on the lookout for - update these (additional) drivers.

I don't know why Microsoft is releasing these, in my case, buggy AMD drivers!?

25 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

I'm on Pro.

But this means that ALL driver updates are blocked, and not just selected ones. Bummer.

Hmm... it's always good to updated to latest working drivers. Without the hassle to manually - and be updated and always be on the lookout for - update these (additional) drivers.

I don't know why Microsoft is releasing these, in my case, buggy AMD drivers!?

I don't know either, I've never ran into a driver problem with WU and I have everything left to defaults in that area.   I often get prompted to download newer nVidia Geforce drivers through their app and sometimes I do it that way, other times I don't and WU never updates them, so I don't know what's going on in that case?

I've went really long periods of time with the same gfx drivers, 6-8 months and WU never bothered to update them.  It might be a case that OEMs never pushed out something newer to the WU servers, which I think is what they actually have to do, so maybe nVidia doesn't bother to do so?