System restore taking too long

I am in the process of doing a system restore on windows 10 pro. It has been running for 1.5 hours which seems way to long to me. I have a 250GB SDD and 166 of it used on system files, data and what not. IS IT ok to end this with a hard reboot without any issues? If there are issues, is there an easy way to fix them?

3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

I am in the process of doing a system restore on windows 10 pro. It has been running for 1.5 hours which seems way to long to me. I have a 250GB SDD and 166 of it used on system files, data and what not. IS IT ok to end this with a hard reboot without any issues? If there are issues, is there an easy way to fix them?

Why are you doing a system restore? Second, I would not advise stopping it in the middle, you are likely to end up with allot more problems.

• Thanks 2

System restore should be renamed "System that could be restored or not". My experience using it in the past have been let's just say lackluster at best (i've not been using it for a long time i turn it off) ... i agree with the poster above let it go and hope for the best but expect the worst. If you stop it in the middle you'll likely kill the os for good.

Btw where did you start System Restore from? Under new MS guidelines which were not properly publicized, System Restore in Windows 10 works better and is likely to succeed/restore properly if run from the Windows Recovery Environment, not from Windows itself. Hold down Shift and click Restart in Windows 10 to reboot to WinRE and start SR from there.

25 minutes ago, MS Bob 10 said:

Btw where did you start System Restore from? Under new MS guidelines which were not properly publicized, System Restore in Windows 10 works better and is likely to succeed/restore properly if run from the Windows Recovery Environment, not from Windows itself. Hold down Shift and click Restart in Windows 10 to reboot to WinRE and start SR from there.

That’s always been true. The reason is that the system registry is being reverted to an earlier state. If it’s in use, it can potentially fail. Same with system files. 

If someone is able to boot, system restore is almost never the correct answer due to the risk is poses to make things worse. 

If you only want to restore Registry, I suggest the ancient ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility for Windows NT). Just run it as Administrator. Is 100% reliable at restoring registry from within Windows. It's a miracle it still works after all the changes Microsoft did to Windows in the last 15 years.

Iif you power the system off during a system restore, it will leave your system in an unknown state. On the other hand, if it hasn't finished in 1.5 day it's probably stuck.

58 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Is it done yet?

yes, it ended 15 mins after i started this thread. Did it work, hell no. I tried reset system option while keeping my files which worked to a degree but i had to install some SW it was missing.

4 hours ago, Bruinator said:

yes, it ended 15 mins after i started this thread. Did it work, hell no. I tried reset system option while keeping my files which worked to a degree but i had to install some SW it was missing.

For the future i highly recommend you to install windows on a partition and your apps, games and files on different partitions than windows. Do a system image of the windows partition on an external drive once every 1-2 weeks or so at least and either save your files to a cloud or do a file sync of the non os partitions to an external drive.

I personally use AOMEI Backupper for my system image (never failed me) of my windows OS partition and FreeFileSync to copy to an external drive my app/games partitions. I usually do a system image once every 2 weeks and backup my apps/games every month or so. I save my files to OneCloud except for files with personal info and such which i backup to the external drive only.

This way if something goes wrong either a virus, hard drive failure or corruption of files i can restore windows in 30 minutes and the apps/games in whatever time it takes to copy the files depending on what's broken.

49 minutes ago, LaP said:

For the future i highly recommend you to install windows on a partition and your apps, games and files on different partitions than windows. Do a system image of the windows partition on an external drive once every 1-2 weeks or so at least and either save your files to a cloud or do a file sync of the non os partitions to an external drive.

I personally use AOMEI Backupper for my system image (never failed me) of my windows OS partition and FreeFileSync to copy to an external drive my app/games partitions. I usually do a system image once every 2 weeks and backup my apps/games every month or so. I save my files to OneCloud except for files with personal info and such which i backup to the external drive only.

This way if something goes wrong either a virus, hard drive failure or corruption of files i can restore windows in 30 minutes and the apps/games in whatever time it takes to copy the files depending on what's broken.

already transferred then to 😧  thx