Q: Google Music alternative?

Question

Hi all,

Now that Google Music is going down the Tube (pun intended), I'm looking for an app that can do offline music as the Music app did.
I do a lot of walking & biking nowadays (gym's not a safe place to go imho..), and like to play my music from my phone.

I don't care about the new Google YT music app, or any of the streaming stuff, just a nice player to run music locally.
Looking at the Play Store, there's a TON of apps, so it's hard to see the trees through the forest.....

What are people using now as a replacement for Google Music?

cheers!

rob

14 answers to this question

I'm going to assume you're on android.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-music-player-apps-for-android-208990/

If you're looking for a service that offers music, I'd say that I have a Spotify subscription and I haven't looked back. It also allows you to download the tracks so that you can listen to them when you are offline.

If you're looking for a music player, something that will play your local tracks, I've been using Black Player for years and I find it great.

I have the same problem. The thing is that most players are either paid, or free with ads. I'm not interested in those.

Musicolet, Pulsar and Omnia seem to be decent free and ad-free players. I haven't used them that long yet, though, since Play Music isn't dead yet.

Edited by eddman

5 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

If you're looking for a music player, something that will play your local tracks, I've been using Black Player for years and I find it great.

Nick, I'm getting multiple results on 'black player'. Which developer should I look at?

thanks!

rob

I was in the same boat.  I enjoyed Google Music and had no interest in switching to the YouTube version, so I decided to go with Spotify.  It has a similar music library and you can download all the offline music you want.  The podcast library is really extensive, which was a plus.

Overall, I don't feel like Spotify's interface is as nice as Google's was, but it's not bad.

What about Plexamp?

If your media library exists on your PC, NAS or Home Server then you can run a Plex server to share all that to your phone.

You'd have the option to make things available offline on your phone also, so potentially useful if your library is changing often, instead of copying music to your phones internal memory manually.

Thanks all for the suggestions :)
I will be testing some of them in the next week or so.

The streaming thing is not my cup of tea, and linking things from a (Plex) server isn't either.
So offline player it is for me ;)

cheers!

rob

On 26/10/2020 at 08:31, Dutchie64 said:

Hi all,

Now that Google Music is going down the Tube (pun intended), I'm looking for an app that can do offline music as the Music app did.
I do a lot of walking & biking nowadays (gym's not a safe place to go imho..), and like to play my music from my phone.

I don't care about the new Google YT music app, or any of the streaming stuff, just a nice player to run music locally.
Looking at the Play Store, there's a TON of apps, so it's hard to see the trees through the forest.....

What are people using now as a replacement for Google Music?

cheers!

rob

Actually, I use YouTube Music; I never used Google Music (with Spotify as the backup and Pandora).

I use Jet Audio.... IMO, the best... :)

I use it pretty much constantly when driving, or remember when we used to be able to fly to lands far and distant?? :) 

Always had my headphones on..