Image question

I use acronis true image to make an image of my PCs. It normally takes less than a half an hour which is fine. Someone suggested to me I should install software on a separate drive (D:) when I do a new install of an OS. I used a program called ESAEUS TODO PC TRANSFER to move the software I installed on my PC from my C drive to my D drive and everything is working fine. The OS was installed over a year ago.

The other day, I decided to image my PC and it took almost 2 hours to do which is very long. Would the transfer of the S/W of caused this?

TIA

I generally save portable software on D and also set data paths for some software to D (like Steam for example) as well as Docs and Pictures, but I don't install aIl software on D simply because installed software creates registry entries that will no longer be there if you reinstall Windows. If you are imaging back C why not just keep programs installed on C and image the whole thing back intact?

In short: having software on D is only interesting if the software is portable and does not require Windows (dependant on C) registry entries.

17 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I generally save portable software on D and also set data paths for some software to D (like Steam for example) as well as Docs and Pictures, but I don't install aIl software on D simply because installed software creates registry entries that will no longer be there if you reinstall Windows. If you are imaging back C why not just keep programs installed on C and image the whole thing back intact?

In short: having software on D is only interesting if the software is portable and does not require Windows (dependant on C) registry entries.

Thx for that but the question I have is if the movement on programs caused the extra time of the image that I did?

1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

Thx for that but the question I have is if the movement on programs caused the extra time of the image that I did?

I think you will find that reading (copying) might be faster than writing. The whole image process also has to recreate the partitions and so forth, and maybe there's some sort of integrity check as well?