Windows 10X; where are we now?

I came across this article and I was wondering when WIndows 10X will be released?

And especially if it will be released for current notebooks/PC's with one screen and Win10 installed? And when? (maybe with a clean install, but hopefully Microsoft will manage to have some sort of Upgrade-feature for "regular" Windows 10 installations).

Can someone shed a light on this?

Edited by kiddingguy

No one knows when it will be released but I believe it will only be avaibile for new devices and is NOT an "upgrade" for Windows 10.

I also think it's going to be specific to new devices and not something you can install yourself.  My bet is that this initial version will be pushed for ARM devices to start.  Once they can get the win32 containers support back in, then who knows?    At this point I think there's enough of a difference between 10X and 10 that you can't just do a "upgrade" anyways.  

Given the UX improvements I kinda like it. Looks more modern.

I hope Microsoft will bring some sort of Windows 10 'upgrade' to Windows 10X.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, erpster3 said:

Thx.

Hopefully besides the UX-improvements hopefully also (major) performance ones...

It sounds like MS isn't going to make big news out of this first release of 10X since it's missing the Win32 support that's coming later.  You're also only going to get it with new systems from what I've read, doubt there's going to be a 10 to 10X upgrade option, for now anyways.

I think they're putting more work into the UI updates and probably looking to match 10 and 10X more where it makes sense to so the shells aren't too drastically different between the two.

• Like 1