VR headsets?

Hi, Apparently I have to buy VR headset for my son this x-mas. I don’t know anything about these and would need some help.

Are these any good or are these just a gimmick like 3D TV’s were?

I was thinking of buying something mid priced but i’m also curious what would be the best headset now. This would be for PC.

My opinion is that they are not gimmicky, certainly not like 3D TVs. I was looking into getting a VR headset recently as well, and I've tried one or two out.

When thinking about getting a headset, I would first take a look at each headset's games library as well as the equipment you already have with you. For example, if your son doesn't have a Playstation there is not much point in getting the Playstation VR headset. ;)

Has your son used a VR headset before? If not then it might be an idea to try one or two of them out first; not to see if there is one that he prefers (although that doesn't hurt) but to make sure that he would be comfortable using one. They can cause disorientation and nausea for some people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

My opinion is that they are not gimmicky, certainly not like 3D TVs. I was looking into getting a VR headset recently as well, and I've tried one or two out.

When thinking about getting a headset, I would first take a look at each headset's games library as well as the equipment you already have with you. For example, if your son doesn't have a Playstation there is not much point in getting the Playstation VR headset. ;)

Has your son used a VR headset before? If not then it might be an idea to try one or two of them out first; not to see if there is one that he prefers (although that doesn't hurt) but to make sure that he would be comfortable using one. They can cause disorientation and nausea for some people.

Thanks for the reply. He has used the older HTC Vive somewhere and apparently did like it. 

Based on quick reading from what I understand HTC Vive Cosmos Elite would be really good but it seems pretty ackward with all the cables etc. I’m wondering if something like Oculus Quest 2 would be a better overall experience without the wires and such? 

1 minute ago, Joni_78 said:

Thanks for the reply. He has used the older HTC Vive somewhere and apparently did like it. 

Based on quick reading from what I understand HTC Vive Cosmos Elite would be really good but it seems pretty ackward with all the cables etc. I’m wondering if something like Oculus Quest 2 would be a better overall experience without the wires and such? 

You may want to read this. It seems to give a good idea of the differences between wired and wireless. I would look for a wired headset if it were me, it offers superior power and I'm used to having earbuds around my neck so the cable doesn't bother me. I also don't need a headset that I can take down the pub to show my friends - there's enough potential to fall off the bar stools without the addition of VR. :p With that said, a wireless headset does mean that your son could take it round to a friend's house without needing to worry about what equipment they have.

I was kind of leaning towards the Quest 2. It seems to be great because it’s wireless but not as good VR experience than what wired have. 

What’s the difference between HTC Vive Pro and Vive Cosmos Elite? Also would Steam index be better than HTC?

If the Index is in your price range I'd highly recommend that as it seems to be getting the most support seeing as Valve is behind it.

The Quest 2 is also a good option; I believe it has the option of plugging in a usb to your computer for more power if needed. However the downside of the Quest is it's Facebook controlled and even forces you to log in with your facebook account to use now. Whether you have a problem with that or not could sway your decision there.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered Valve Index.

I wonder if the GPU my son has is good enough? It's MSI Radeon RX 560 XT Aero ITX. Also it only has 1x DP, 1x HDMI and 1x DVI-D.

On 15/11/2020 at 14:24, Joni_78 said:

I was kind of leaning towards the Quest 2. It seems to be great because it’s wireless but not as good VR experience than what wired have. 

What’s the difference between HTC Vive Pro and Vive Cosmos Elite? Also would Steam index be better than HTC?

I'd highly recommend the Quest 2. The wireless games are really great quality on the new chip. Then if he wants to play any PC VR games, he can use the Link cable or Virtual Desktop. I used to have the Vive and loved it, but my Quest 2 is WAY better.

• 5 months later...
On 15/11/2020 at 14:24, Joni_78 said:

Absolutely recommend the Oculus Quest 2. Top of the line VR experiences and incredible price for what you get.

To add the this the quest 2 is great, you can use it with out a cable  using airlink and makes it perfect for PC VR gaming.

I did have the original Vive and the quest 2 for me is much better.