[BOXING] Tyson

This is a tragety

Mike Tyson has quite a few rounds to go to win his latest fight outside the ropes.

The former heavyweight champion, who earned more than $200 million in his two-decades-long boxing career, was down to his last $5,553 as of Dec. 31, according to papers filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York.

Tyson has been pummeled financially for months and filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in August. The specifics of his debt woes were reported by Bloomberg News on Tuesday.

According to the court documents obtained by Bloomberg, Tyson also had $174,000 in property and equipment and more than $10.2 million in liabilities at the end of December. He reported earning $720,018 and spending $85.50 in December, Bloomberg reported, and earning $5.68 and spending $22,000 in November.

Bloomberg's report did not detail Tyson's source or sources of earnings.

Shelly Finkel, the fighter's manager, said last week that he is exploring a possible fight for Tyson for May or June. Tyson, who Finkel said wants to fight again, hasn't fought since last February, when he knocked out Clifford Etienne in 49 seconds. He earned $5 million for that fight.

Showtime network executive Jay Larkin said he is in talks with Finkel for a Tyson fight on June 5. Tyson has fought mainly on Showtime in recent years.

June 5 is when Oscar De La Hoya said he will have his next bout. De La Hoya fights on HBO.

Finkel said that Tyson, 37, has been working out with a bodyguard, but does not have a trainer yet.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

There's a really good article in a magazine (I forgot the name) that shows Tyson and Don King on the cover facing off. Basically, the article goes into detail about how Don King and Tyson's previous managers/entourage have depleted Tyson of pretty much all his career earnings. In the article they even reference a saying that these guys had when they went out and didn't have money - CITM "Charge It To Mike".

While I still think Tyson should be held accountable for his unlawfulness, his money management and his problems he is having now with money are far from simply him not managing his money correctly. I hope Don King gets raped in court because he has got to be one of the most corrupt, artificial people on this planet. It's a shame Cus D'Amato died when he did and that Mike didn't have the presence of mind back then to learn from him.

Sad story.

There's a really good article in a magazine (I forgot the name) that shows Tyson and Don King on the cover facing off. Basically, the article goes into detail about how Don King and Tyson's previous managers/entourage have depleted Tyson of pretty much all his career earnings. In the article they even reference a saying that these guys had when they went out and didn't have money - CITM "Charge It To Mike".

While I still think Tyson should be held accountable for his unlawfulness, his money management and his problems he is having now with money are far from simply him not managing his money correctly. I hope Don King gets raped in court because he has got to be one of the most corrupt, artificial people on this planet. It's a shame Cus D'Amato died when he did and that Mike didn't have the presence of mind back then to learn from him.

Sad story.

You seem upset. I was acually being sarcastic. I dont care for Tyson at all.

Tyson's debt is pretty much his own fault, although, his case against King could be the breaking point in King's successful promotional company. King has already watered down much of his business, laying off employees and downsizing.

As for the article, I find it disgusting that when Tyson needs money, he runs back to the ring for a rubbish fight and makes a substantial amount of money. The awe that surrounds him got the public, not the real boxing fan, hooked into watching what the "circus act" will do next. In other words, its not the boxing fan that supports elaborate lifestyle, its the brainwashed public. Imagine that, Tyson can actually brainwash folks. lol.

Tyson speaks!

Former heavyweight champion Mike Tyson did not give any specifics on where or when he'll come back, but he did confirm that he's going to get into shape and fight again. Appearing on Friday's "Best Damn Sports Show Period" on FOX Sports Net, Iron Mike discussed several topics:

On his choice of fighting George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Roy Jones Jr. or Don King:

"Maybe Roy Jones." (Tyson later commented that Jones is "tough to deal with.")

On whether he needs former promoter Don King to again promote of his fights:

"I like Don King, but the fight world doesn't live by Don King. People don't pay to see Don King fight."

On possibly luring Lennox Lewis out of retirement for a return match:

"...Maybe he'll want to fight again. I don't know...I need to have at least four fights by the end of this year, then just train and basically just work on developing myself as a fighter and as a person. You have to understand I took a year off and I just wanted to discover who I was."

On fighting 55-year-old George Foreman, who announced he's coming back if he can get down to 225 lbs.

I wouldn't fight Mr. Foreman. I love George Foreman."

On his financial situation:

"I'm an alchemist. I turn money into caca."