.PST file

The location of your .pst file depends on your version of Outlook, your version of Windows, and how you set up your account or created the .pst file. You can find your .pst file in one of the following locations:

Windows 10    drive:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows 10    drive:\Users\<username>\Roaming\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Older versions of Windows    drive:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/find-and-transfer-outlook-data-files-from-one-computer-to-another-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1892e2aacc

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/introduction-to-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-222eaf92-a995-45d9-bde2-f331f60e2790

search on your Desktop by *.pst

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Sorry I meant .odt file. How to I retrieve it plz?

Do you mean OST?

It should be the same path as the default PST file that Jim mentioned. Although I think the only reason you would need to access it would be to delete it; an OST file is just a local cache of the emails located on the server (unlike a PST file which is locally archived emails that are not on the server anymore). If you delete/rename the OST file then Outlook will download those emails again when it is next opened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Documents/outlook files (Outlook Files folder in the documents directory)

I know where the .OST file is but how do I read it so i can see my outlook 2019 password plz?

14 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I know where the .OST file is but how do I read it so i can see my outlook 2019 password plz?

The .OST will not show you your password, at most it will ask you to enter it.

You could try this 

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pst_password.html .. although it's for PST files not .OST.

Are you talking about Outlook the Office 2019 email program password or your outlook.com email service password? 

THIS is why I think it was stupid for Microsoft to name Both the email app and email service BOTH outlook!"

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

The .OST will not show you your password, at most it will ask you to enter it.

You could try this 

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/pst_password.html .. although it's for PST files not .OST.

Talking about Outlook the Office Email program password or your outlook.com email service password?

Outlook the Office Email program password

Just now, Bruinator said:

Outlook the Office Email program password

Alright, that nirsoft app would probably be your best shot. Are you locked out your .OST file? As mentioned before from Nick H. the OST is just a cache of what is still on the actual server.

3 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

does that find .pst or .ost  coz I am looking for .ost

I think PST only but try it and see what happens. Some AV programs will flag it as a virus because it reviles passwords. What is in side your OST file that you are trying to get the password to recover?

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

I think PST only but try it and see what happens. Some AV programs will flag it as a virus because it reviles passwords. What is in side your OST file that you are trying to get the password to retrieve?

yes, i will try it.  if anyone know of a way to find my .ost password i would greatly appreciate it.

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

yes, i will try it.  if anyone know of a way to find my .ost password i would greatly appreciate it.

Shouldn't all the information in that .ost still be on the email server? 

officially there isn't a way to recover the password from the OST/PST files as it would be circumventing security encryptions to do so

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

officially there isn't a way to recover the password from the OST/PST files as it would be circumventing security encryptions to do so

Must be some crap encryption if Nirsoft displays it in plain text. Are we sure it's even encrypted?

Just now, warwagon said:

Must be some crap encryption if Nirsoft displays it in plain text. Are we sure it's even encrypted?

I would hope there'd be some kind of encryption on a file that contains a password otherwise shame on Microsoft 😮

I'm confused about what I've read since returning to this thread. :laugh:

You were trying to access the OST file to see a password? I don't understand. Was the password in an email? Or was Outlook asking for a password to access your email account?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

You were trying to access the OST file to see a password? I don't understand. Was the password in an email? Or was Outlook asking for a password to access your email account?

I think outlook was asking for a password to access the email.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

yes, and it worked. :)