Dual Boot Issue

Hey Mac enthusiasts.

I'm having some trouble with a Windows 10 / MacOS High Sierra installation on my MacBook Pro.

I install Windows 10 yesterday (which setup 2 partitions). I then setup 1/2 of my hard drive with a Windows 10 partition with the intention of setting up the other 1/2 as a MacOS High Sierra installation.

Got Windows all setup and working and that's fine.

Installed MacOS High Sierra on the other partition no problems.

Restarted the laptop this morning and found that I couldn't boot off the Windows 10 partition.

Can someone provide me with some help to try and get this working so I can boot Windows 10 again on my MacBook, or at least point me in the direction so I can get Windows back up and working on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Did you set it up with bootcamp?  Also does it show up with you hold the Option key?

No doesn't show when holding down option key and no I didn't use bootcamp.

Bootcamp was having problems trying to find the "Installer Disk" even though I had it plugged in via USB and was a full valid installation of Windows 10 pulled off Microsofts website.

bootcamp is the only way to get it working properly. otherwise it won't create the boot entries in a way the Mac EFI can read.

as far as not detecting the installer on the USB maybe it's a compatibility issue; been awhile since I've done a bootcamp setup but can't you select the actual ISO file too if you just have that?

you could also try mounting the ISO through command line instead of using a USB to rule out a compatibility issue with the USB drive

https://www.howtogeek.com/tips/how-to-mount-an-iso-image-in-mac-os-x/

• 1 month later...

The above is correct. I have a dual boot system also but I used bootcamp assistant. downloaded windows 10 to a usb - created a partition and now I can use Putty which requires a windows laptop to console into routers and switches. 

14 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Either use bootcamp for ease of use, or using something like REFIned.

https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

That is actually incorrect; bootcamp is not the only way as in the end you only need an UEFI boot manager.

okay, only "official" way would have been better to say.

I've messed with REFIned on my old macbook before and it's not the easiest to setup for those that don't know what they're doing with it (unless that has changed since I messed with it nearly a decade ago) so I don't generally recommend it.

edit: sounds like it's having issues booting Big Sur anyway so best not to chance it it seems

Warning: I've been receiving reports that rEFInd is failing to boot macOS 11.0 ("Big Sur"). Details are as yet unclear to me at this point, so I have no fixes or workaround. I recommend you either hold off on upgrading your macOS installation or be prepared to multi-boot in some other way.