Snow blowers

For those of you guys who use them, I am wondering if you put chains on the tires even if the tire is like these?

image.png.9c49d489ffa4fcc378b2728e4e61818d.png

If the answer is yes, do they help for better traction? Your opinions are appreciated.

THX

Unless you have a bed of ice under the snow you really shouldn't need chains.

What tires do you have the blower now?

I got sooo confused by the title and post for a moment there. I thought a snow blower would be like a leaf blower, i.e. having no tyres. Then seeing the picture in the post I thought there had been a mistake with the topic title, and you were asking about putting chains on your car tyres...

23 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I got sooo confused by the title and post for a moment there. I thought a snow blower would be like a leaf blower, i.e. having no tyres. Then seeing the picture in the post I thought there had been a mistake with the topic title, and you were asking about putting chains on your car tyres...

You don't use snow blowers in Switzerland? :D I know you get snow, don't you?

On 21/12/2020 at 19:17, Bruinator said:

For those of you guys who use them, I am wondering if you put chains on the tires even if the tire is like these?

image.png.9c49d489ffa4fcc378b2728e4e61818d.png

If the answer is yes, do they help for better traction? Your opinions are appreciated.

THX

Move to Florida, problem solved! :rofl: Haven't had snow since 1989! https://www.news4jax.com/weather/2019/12/23/remember-snowstorm-hits-jacksonville-in-december-1989/

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

You don't use snow blowers in Switzerland? :D I know you get snow, don't you?

We get snow, but we don't have snow blowers that I've seen. The snow in the roads gets pushed to the side, and the rest of us just wear winter gear. If I do a search for "snow blower switzerland" the top results just talk about the snow blowers for the trains. Maybe there's some environmental law about it or something.

3 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

We get snow, but we don't have snow blowers that I've seen. The snow in the roads gets pushed to the side, and the rest of us just wear winter gear. If I do a search for "snow blower switzerland" the top results just talk about the snow blowers for the trains. Maybe there's some environmental law about it or something.

You don't have driveways? LOL

3 minutes ago, Superuser said:

You don't have driveways? LOL

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I share a drive with 6 other houses.

I think the difference is that if the snow is too bad to be on the roads we're allowed to stay home without risking our jobs and lives. I've had to phone at least once to report that public transport is not working and so I can't get to the office, and it's no big deal.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but I share a drive with 6 other houses.

I think the difference is that if the snow is too bad to be on the roads we're allowed to stay home without risking our jobs and lives. I've had to phone at least once to report that public transport is not working and so I can't get to the office, and it's no big deal.

We are not taking about roads. LOL Snow also accumulates on personal driveways and sidewalks and has to be removed yes?

Just now, Superuser said:

We are not taking about roads. LOL Snow also accumulates on personal driveways and sidewalks and has to be removed yes?

No? If it's a high street they might send a snow plow along the sidewalk in the morning to make a path, but the rest of us just walk through the snow. I've seen pictures of places in N.A. where they have snow levels up past the top of their front door, but I think the worst we've had has only been just below the knee. No big deal.

1 hour ago, Nick H. said:

No? If it's a high street they might send a snow plow along the sidewalk in the morning to make a path, but the rest of us just walk through the snow. I've seen pictures of places in N.A. where they have snow levels up past the top of their front door, but I think the worst we've had has only been just below the knee. No big deal.

I am talking about on personal property. LOL Does that exist in Switzerland? You need to remove snow in a driveway.

17 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I am talking about on personal property. LOL Does that exist in Switzerland? You need to remove snow in a driveway.

Clearly they don't since Nick H. has survived this long without having had to.  

21 minutes ago, Superuser said:

I'm not sure what else I can tell you. I haven't used one, I haven't seen one, and I hadn't heard of one until about 3 hours ago. And yet, I've survived 20 Swiss winters.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not sure what else I can tell you. I haven't used one, I haven't seen one, and I hadn't heard of one until about 3 hours ago. And yet, I've survived 20 Swiss winters.

Mind boggling. Maybe everyone there is old fashion and just scoops everything by hand.

Here is what one looks like and how it works. Hmm... I guess I can't embed at a current time, so skip to 3 mins and 20 seconds.

Nick, I remember this when i was a kid to show you how bad it got here once where i live.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+blizzard+of+1978&sxsrf=ALeKk02JhEtM-D2KM_87b_OLp7OGDda5sg:1608758757784&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiwuKWyheXtAhXjs1kKHYNYCaUQ_AUoAXoECBIQAw&biw=1366&bih=625

The abandoned cars are on a major highway here in some of the pictures.

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

You must not live in a snowy area I guess. Just a few inches of snow on a driveway that's inclined causes cars to get stuck. I personally shovel, as we only get 2-3 big snowfalls a year, and a decent snow blower can cost around 1000-2000 bucks. Not worth it for such infrequent snow fall. 

Some neighborhoods associations will plow sidewalks and/or driveways, but the cities only do the surface streets, and most of the time the main arteries will get attention. Pre-covid, getting stuck in your driveway wasn't an excuse for being late... and the only time you'd be able to stay home is if the county/city declared a level 1 snow emergency, and even then, if your boss was a jerk, they'd still expect you to come in. 

6 minutes ago, shockz said:

You must not live in a snowy area I guess. Just a few inches of snow on a driveway that's inclined causes cars to get stuck. I personally shovel, as we only get 2-3 big snowfalls a year, and a decent snow blower can cost around 1000-2000 bucks. Not worth it for such infrequent snow fall. 

Some neighborhoods associations will plow sidewalks and/or driveways, but the cities only do the surface streets, and most of the time the main arteries will get attention. Pre-covid, getting stuck in your driveway wasn't an excuse for being late... and the only time you'd be able to stay home is if the county/city declared a level 1 snow emergency, and even then, if your boss was a jerk, they'd still expect you to come in. 

I just used a snow blower on my driveway 10 mins ago!

45 minutes ago, shockz said:

You must not live in a snowy area I guess. Just a few inches of snow on a driveway that's inclined causes cars to get stuck.

We get our snow each winter, and the law requires everyone to put on their snow tyres. Maybe the mountains catch most of it before it hits the towns and cities? They are all around us, after all! :laugh:

A little bit of ice practically shuts this place down. 

As far as chains.  Amazon has a whole lot of chains for different size snowblower tires.  Do they work...no idea.  I barely know what snow is...sometimes I confuse frost on the ground with snow.  ;)