Work Monitors for Home Office

I am a software engineer so I spend most of my time on my computer for work. With working remote, I've starting putting together a home office. I use a MBP 16", and would like a dual monitor setup for working. These do not need to be gaming displays.

Mostly what I would like is something that is 1440p or higher, but I'm not sure what screen sizes are optimal for each resolution. I see a lot of decently priced 27" 1440p monitors, but I'm not used to having monitors larger than 24" so I feel the extra space might be wasted on me. Also with the larger screen, I'm not sure the bump from 1080p to 1440p will really feel tangible.

So suffice to say, I want a monitor which will work with my MBP (and it won't burn itself into a crisp trying to power each monitor), but also has a high enough pixel density that it more closely resembles Apple's Retina displays. I also don't want to break the bank, and obviously that means there's some compromises being made.

I've taken a look at the Dell U2520DR but I wonder if that's a bit pricey.

Honestly, this is one of the best work monitors I’ve ever had, not to mention you don’t have the discontinuity of dual monitors. 

Pricey but you get what you pay for and it’s not like it won’t be seeing heavy use. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc/monitors-monitor-accessories

Edited by adrynalyne

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Honestly, this is one of the best work monitors I’ve ever had, not to mention you don’t have the discontinuity of dual monitors. 

Pricey but you get what you pay for and it’s not like it don’t be seeing heavy use. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-ultrasharp-38-curved-monitor-u3818dw/apd/210-amrc/monitors-monitor-accessories

We had a couple of 38" monitors knocking around the office and they were neat. If someone wanted to give one to me I wouldn't complain. But you could get 2x27" monitors cheaper. And given that Emn1ty already says that he feels one 27" monitor would be wasted on him - it won't, believe me - I think the 27" is the way to go.

12 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

We had a couple of 38" monitors knocking around the office and they were neat. If someone wanted to give one to me I wouldn't complain. But you could get 2x27" monitors cheaper. And given that Emn1ty already says that he feels one 27" monitor would be wasted on him - it won't, believe me - I think the 27" is the way to go.

But again, the monitor discontinuity is a real thing and the 38in is the equivalent of two monitors while taking less desk space. Plus the extra vertical pixels are welcome on this line of work. I’m currently using two 32 inch monitors but am kind of wanting to go back to my 38in. 

Fair enough. I guess it boils down to his budget. If he thinks that something larger than a 24" monitor is overkill though, I'm not sure he'll want to fork out for a 38" display. :laugh:

I stand by my suggestion, I think one 27" monitor would be the way to go. Reasonably priced and you do find yourself using the extra screen space gained over a 24".

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Pricey but you get what you pay for and it’s not like it won’t be seeing heavy use. 

depends on type of work, for production, anything that requires precision and straight lines curved monitors are horrible. i would never used curved for photography, video, architecture, design, and similar.

1 hour ago, nekrosoft13 said:

depends on type of work, for production, anything that requires precision and straight lines curved monitors are horrible. i would never used curved for photography, video, architecture, design, and similar.

He mentioned his work, which happens to be my same line of work.

So thats a completely moot point.

Besides, its a slight curvature, and it doesn't distort anything.

LG CX monitors only

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

He said he wanted a monitor, not a TV.

no difference between tv and monitor now. all the same. HDMI and 144hz

choose by the size you need

10 minutes ago, Marujan said:

no difference between tv and monitor now. all the same. HDMI and 144hz

choose by the size you need

1. He isnt looking at anything remotely that big and bulky. 
2. That would require a new generation video card to support that refresh rate on hdmi. 
3. While I am sure that is great for gaming, I would question it for just about everything else. He isn’t looking for something that is great at gaming. 
4. see #1. 

Edited by adrynalyne

7 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

I am a software engineer so I spend most of my time on my computer for work. With working remote, I've starting putting together a home office. I use a MBP 16", and would like a dual monitor setup for working. These do not need to be gaming displays.

Mostly what I would like is something that is 1440p or higher, but I'm not sure what screen sizes are optimal for each resolution. I see a lot of decently priced 27" 1440p monitors, but I'm not used to having monitors larger than 24" so I feel the extra space might be wasted on me. Also with the larger screen, I'm not sure the bump from 1080p to 1440p will really feel tangible.

So suffice to say, I want a monitor which will work with my MBP (and it won't burn itself into a crisp trying to power each monitor), but also has a high enough pixel density that it more closely resembles Apple's Retina displays. I also don't want to break the bank, and obviously that means there's some compromises being made.

Aside from my suggestion above, I would follow @Nick H.’s advice and look at 27 inch. The Dell with Infinity Edge makes it a lot smaller of a package. 

Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX 27-Inch WQHD 2560x1440 Resolution IPS Monitor with Infinity Edge Bezels, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGR784M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_xwx6FbQNDVHSM

Similar price too. 

19 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Dell Ultrasharp U2719DX 27-Inch WQHD 2560x1440 Resolution IPS Monitor with Infinity Edge Bezels, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGR784M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_xwx6FbQNDVHSM

it will burn out any eyes with it terrible 60HZ

and not even >90hz or better 144hz (240 is fantastic but for gamers only and waste of money)

stupid idea to buy 60hz in 2021

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, Marujan said:

and not even >90hz or better 144hz (240 is fantastic but for gamers only and waste of money)

Cool opinion bro. Makes you wonder how anyone survives with a non-gaming laptop. Guess what your LG CX recommendation will run at connected to his MBP? 60Hz. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I'll take a look at the 27" monitors, I just wasn't sure if the pixel density will be comparable to a Retina display (obviously the larger the screen area, the less dense the pixels even if it's a higher resolution). Though that may not truly matter if it's a marked improvement from a typical 1080p monitor.

7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I did take a look at this suggestion in the other thread I saw, and while for the last few years I've used a single ultrawide display (2560x1080) it was not curved. They do seem cool, but the necessity of a continuity for the screen isn't high for me. I would actually prefer two individual monitors for the optional vertical display (in the case I want to look at a large amount of code, or reading long articles).

Not sure in actuality how much I'd use that, but the option is always nice. But definitely a consideration seeing as it appears no matter what for one ultrawide or two regular monitors I'll be shelling out ~$800 no matter what.

• Like 2

Actually, now that I think about it there is one benefit to a single wide monitor. Apple's management of spaces and external displays is a nightmare... I have to constantly re-order them at the office with 2+ monitors. This means if I do go for the two monitor route at home I'll have to deal with reorganizing their positions quite often. This does make me consider the single large monitor as a better alternative, but I wonder if it's gonna be far too massive... but I suppose I could test it out and if all else fails return it.

9 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

I recently bought the U2520D variant and I couldn't be more happy with it. Combined with the AE515M stereo soundbar it's a dream.

1440p @ 125% gives you approx. 20-25% more space than 1080p (so no need for a 27''  monitor) without being too small or too large and it's definitely worth the extra premium. I always spent more on a monitor and prefer to downgrade on some other component that I can upgrade later, as a monitor usually stays with me a long time and it's essential to my work (engineer, CAD). The USB-C charging comes also very handy, with only one cable between laptop and monitor to transfer image, sound and data (if you use the USB ports on the monitor that is).

If you decide to spend the extra cash I believe that you will be satisfied.

6 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

Actually, now that I think about it there is one benefit to a single wide monitor. Apple's management of spaces and external displays is a nightmare... I have to constantly re-order them at the office with 2+ monitors. This means if I do go for the two monitor route at home I'll have to deal with reorganizing their positions quite often. This does make me consider the single large monitor as a better alternative, but I wonder if it's gonna be far too massive... but I suppose I could test it out and if all else fails return it.

The Dell I posted above also allows for PD via USB C as well so it becomes a one cable solution. I think LG might have a similar offering as well, but I think the KVM functionality is unique to Dell. It does have a sleep issue with Macs though, I forgot about that. It will constantly wake up, sleep, wake up, sleep. I just unplug it when not in use. 

Well, I ordered the Dell ultrawide. Figured I would try it, if it's too much for me then I'll probably order the Dell 25" and return the ultrawide. I have used an ultra wide both at work and at home for years so I imagine it will work fine.

Just feels like a lot for a single monitor. But I suppose this is payback for when Dell shipped me two ultrawide monitors when I paid only half price for one. lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Marujan said:

I've been staring at my u3011 for years. Typing on it as we speak. it's has a 60hz display.

• Like 2

Got the dell ultrawide today and it is a massive monitor. It does seem to take a bit more for me to look both horizontally and vertically across the screen. I'll see if I get used to it come next week when I start trying to work with it.

First impressions though:

+ It actually charges my MacBook Pro via the USB-C (not sure I'd rely on that, though).
+ The screen looks great, definitely enough resolution packed into it with 1440p.
+ Don't need to use my extra USB-C apple adapter for the monitor, as it supports direct USB-C to USB-C display (fantastic)

+ Using the "more space" setting for the screen gives a lot of real estate for looking at code and logs, or code and diagrams, etc.

- It's a big screen, feels a little overwhelming which isn't surprising.

- I feel like I need to sit the screen a lot farther back cause of the size, but the only place on my work desk that allows for it is a corner (which isn't a convenient place atm without re-organizing where the desk is).

Once I start using it more though I'll know if it's the right fit with mouse sensitivity, spaces, etc. See if it frustrates me or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

Got the dell ultrawide today and it is a massive monitor. It does seem to take a bit more for me to look both horizontally and vertically across the screen. I'll see if I get used to it come next week when I start trying to work with it.

First impressions though:

+ It actually charges my MacBook Pro via the USB-C (not sure I'd rely on that, though).
+ The screen looks great, definitely enough resolution packed into it with 1440p.
+ Don't need to use my extra USB-C apple adapter for the monitor, as it supports direct USB-C to USB-C display (fantastic)

+ Using the "more space" setting for the screen gives a lot of real estate for looking at code and logs, or code and diagrams, etc.

- It's a big screen, feels a little overwhelming which isn't surprising.

- I feel like I need to sit the screen a lot farther back cause of the size, but the only place on my work desk that allows for it is a corner (which isn't a convenient place atm without re-organizing where the desk is).

Once I start using it more though I'll know if it's the right fit with mouse sensitivity, spaces, etc. See if it frustrates me or not.

It’s actually 1600P. 😊

On 28/12/2020 at 01:30, Marujan said:

What a bunch of nonsense. 

• Like 2