Windows freezes randomly


Recommended Posts

+jnelsoninjax
15 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Here's a longshot. It's possible something is causing the windows shell to hang.

 

*Warning: Use this at your own risk, make sure you have a backup of everything and a working recovery disk. You are responsible for all changes made and any issues that may arise from those changes.*   While I've never managed to make my computer unbootable via shell extension changes, there's always a first, so please make sure you back up your work, the last thing you want is to lose data. 

 

Nirsoft has a freeware program that I've used to let you see what third party shell extensions you have running. https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Also, run the Windows Task manager and click the startup tab.

See if there's anything in there that doesn't belong. 

 

And lastly, it couldn't hurt to re-install the latest video card drivers.

OK, I will take a look at program. I have already gone over startup using the task manger and Autoruns, and with Autoruns, I found 3 or 4 programs that were trying to load even though they were gone, so I disabled them. If this becomes anymore of a hassle I might just have to do a reinstall, which really does not take all that long, considering all my programs are on separate drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe User
4 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

OK, I will take a look at program. I have already gone over startup using the task manger and Autoruns, and with Autoruns, I found 3 or 4 programs that were trying to load even though they were gone, so I disabled them. If this becomes anymore of a hassle I might just have to do a reinstall, which really does not take all that long, considering all my programs are on separate drives.

While I have seen shell extensions cause issues to this extent, it's not a frequent occurrence. But it is worth looking at just to be sure.

 

Also, at this point, if it were my computer, I would start planning a reinstall. 

 

(Lastly, just a note. I know you understand the risks involved using some of these programs, the warnings are also for the person who finds this thread on Google and accidentally wipes out their OS.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
3 minutes ago, Joe User said:

While I have seen shell extensions cause issues to this extent, it's not a frequent occurrence. But it is worth looking at just to be sure.

 

Also, at this point, if it were my computer, I would start planning a reinstall. 

 

(Lastly, just a note. I know you understand the risks involved using some of these programs, the warnings are also for the person who finds this thread on Google and accidentally wipes out their OS.)

I understand, you don't want someone to say @Joe Usersaid to do it that way! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax

Just ran shellX, and I did not see anything that stands out as not belonging, so it is either related to the mysterious Audible for Windows Phone (which as best as I can tell, is installed), the WinRing0 (which the service does not exist, but exe's do) or even Windows Photo, which I uninstalled because I did not need it. So I can spend more time trying to figure out what the exact reason the few programs that are installed, or I can simply reinstall the OS, which at this point might be the simplest method. I am going to attach the report from shellX, perhaps someone can point out anything I might've overlooked. https://pastebin.com/wYfPygXh

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax

So I may have fixed the issue. I have a program that does crypto mining, and I started poking around in the settings and discovered that it was allowed to overclock (CPU/GPU) and another Google search pointed me to a suggestion that the freezing could be caused by something using the GPU/CPU at max, and not allowing Windows to have any of it, and it suggested to under clock the GPU or just run it at normal clock speeds, not OC. It has been over 24 hours since I made the change and the system has not frozen. The mining software is supposed to only run when the system is idle, but it has a bug in it where it ignores that sometimes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax

I'm going to say that the issue had to be the mining software overclocking, since I disabled that I have not had any more freezes

Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe User
24 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I'm going to say that the issue had to be the mining software overclocking, since I disabled that I have not had any more freezes

So, it was the video card, just in a roundabout way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax
10 hours ago, Joe User said:

So, it was the video card, just in a roundabout way.

I suppose so.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.