Boot

Hi

Am I in the wrong forum?

Long time since I have needed help. If someone could give me a hand I would appreciate it.

My computer with my music and hooked to my TV had not had maintenance in a long time. It was clean of dust somehow but the drives needed to be replaced before they failed. I tried SSDs and they did not work for an OS. I assumed it was the bios. So I just used them for storage and put my OS drive back in until Amazon brought me a Sata to clone. Me screwing around trying to get the drives seen, now it will not boot straight up. It sits at the MSI screen for a while and rolls up a list of drive condition and offers F1. Press F1 and she boots right up into win10pro. It shows my OS on sata 1. I can not get it to take me into the BIOS menu. I have hit Delete once on boot. Tapped Delete. Patted my head and rubbed my tummy and it will still just offer F1. Can't deal with that.

I have messed with it and now I give up and ask for help just getting into the menu. No raids no special setups. I think the bios might have been updated once. This computer components some of them are old like the memory but the motherboards maybe 15 years old. I recall the memory was so expensive when it came out I bought the motherboard because it would use it the memory I had. that's the walk down memory lane.

MSI 785-E63

wd150 raptor on the os and those two ssd's on holding music. They don't show until inside the OS

Thank you

can not boot into bios. just boots into the first screen that displays devices present with an option an  to strike F1.  If I hit F1 it boots into windows. 

if i turn it off and try again same thing it goes as far as first screen and stops says hit F1 to continue

i have tried the Delete key to reach bios. it boots to the area i mentioned before. I have tried several different keys with same result. (F11, F12, F2 etc)

I am trying to simply reach the option in the bios

• Like 1

According to the manual for your mobo it is DEL to enter BIOS setup.  As you state you've already tried this and getting nowhere...

It seems you are being taken to a bootmenu.  From here your keyboard works.

Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard?

Just now, alphamale said:

no i unplugged everything but usb mouse and keyboard

That doesn't answer the question I asked.

Are you using a wired or wireless keyboard?

Jesus, you're making this hard.  You are using a WIRED USB KEYBOARD?

Do you have another keyboard you could try?

Could you try it in a different USB port?

Does the DEL key work fine in Windows?

1 minute ago, alphamale said:

i said that before when i told you i was using a usb mouse and keyboard.

wired mouse

wired keyboard

No you didn't.  You said you were using a USB keyboard.  I am also using a USB keyboard  -  which is wireless.

Sod it.  Tried to help.  Let someone else deal with your weird attitude.

yes. i have spares.

did not occur key could be bad. will boot and check

i will go try those things right now

1 minute ago, NJ Louch said:

No you didn't.  You said you were using a USB keyboard.  I am also using a USB keyboard which is wireless.

Sod it.  Tried to help.  Let someone else deal with your weird attitude.

well thanks for what you did

the number lock was on. the num light was covered with a note so i could not see the glow. turned it off booted computer hit delete and it entered setup.

louch you are weird too. kinda like grumpy. but you pushed me in right direction. 

There was alot going on and the grouchy guy got me headed in right direction. But the actual cause of it was those two SSD drives I had installed/ The keyboard was acting screwy too. My mission was to swap drives for OS and the BIOS thing got in way.

I just unpluged those SSD drives and the computer booted right up no stopping in the Bios. for the record the OS was on a sata. I had demoted the new SSDs to data storage. 

So moral of the story my motherboard does not want any SSDs attached

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, alphamale said:

So moral of the story my motherboard does not want any SSDs attached

That sound SO farfetched...

• Like 1

Hello,

Given that the computer has an eleven year old motherboard (released in 2010) in it, the first thing I would do is replace the CMOS/RTC backup battery, which is a CR-2032 +3V DC lithium coin cell located just above the SATA ports, as seen in this photo on MSI's web site:  https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/785GTE63/Gallery#lg=1&slide=1

It is possible the SSD compatibility issue might be fixed via a BIOS update for the motherboard.  However, if that does not work, given the age of the system (150GB Western Raptor HDD was introduced in 2006, etc.)  I would suggest starting to plan for a more modern replacement that will allow you to take full advantage of your SSDs and so forth.  A lot has changed in the intervening decade, in terms of motherboard technology.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky