Default Outlook-data file cannot be set

Question

I have several imap-mail accounts configured in my Outlook.

And one, from back-in-the days, pst-file.

The imap-files are all ost-data files.

When I try to set my default email-address as default, and with this the corresponding ost-file in 'data files' as message pops up that this is not allowed (see pic).

I have created - in the same folder - a same pst-file.

Also, I cannot find the 'cache mode' - I think because this is related to Exchange, and I don't have an exchange-mail, but imap-settings.

What can I do to set my ost-file as default email data file?

I use Office/Microsoft 365 (Family) with my own domain/email hosting from a third party (not Microsoft).

Outlook-datafile.png

2 answers to this question

I don't have Outlook to hand, but isn't the cache option one of the first options when you double-click on the email address that you want to edit in the settings?

I don't understand what you're trying to do. You're trying to set an email address as the default address?

Just from what I'm trying to understand from the situation, I would remove all the email accounts and start again. Your PST file will be safe, and the OST files will download again when you add the accounts back in to Outlook.

49 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I don't have Outlook to hand, but isn't the cache option one of the first options when you double-click on the email address that you want to edit in the settings?

I don't understand what you're trying to do. You're trying to set an email address as the default address?

Just from what I'm trying to understand from the situation, I would remove all the email accounts and start again. Your PST file will be safe, and the OST files will download again when you add the accounts back in to Outlook.

I have created an image with the settings involved.

I see no such thing in Email-settings to 'tick off' cache settings.

The pst-file contains emails from way back - which I would like to keep as history - when I had pop3-settings on a different email-account./

I came to notice that when I start Outlook the pst-file from thsi account is displayed, and I have to manually select my email-account to go to my regular/'default' inbox (data-file).

I was wondering if this can be simplified and changed to my default email-address (and thus data file).

The email address has already been set to default. Which works.

Now I'm aiming for the data file to follow.... but I cannot let this happen. Yet.

Also creating a pst-file in C:\Users|<name>\AppData<etc> doesn't set the ost-file as default data file.

Maybe you guys know how to....

Outlook-datafile-explanation.png