Amazon Kindle Fire HD Tablet question

I bought myself a Kindle Fire HD, and plugged it into my system and copied some ebooks that I had purchased from other sites (DRM free) in the .mobi format, I copied them to the books folder on the tablet, but the kindlke app does not see them. Does anyone know how I can go about fixing this?

From a quick search a few things were suggested

File size can be an issue. I've found that if the book's file size is greater than 50MB, the file will transfer to the documents folder on disk, but not appear on the kindle. In my case, I used Calibre to convert mobi to azw3, which reduced the file size, and the book then appeared on my kindle.

I don't know why these books aren't showing up, but an alternative method you might try is using the Send to Kindle app from Amazon. There are versions for PC and Mac that you can download at www.amazon.com/sendtokindle.

You may want to check the settings on your pc, in particular the mobi files themselves. I'm not sure, but I've had "missing" files before. Try right clicking on the file and selecting "properties". From their, on the "General" tab, make sure at bottom (Attributes) the "Hidden" box isn't checked. Also, doing the same (right click / Properties) under "Security" tab make sure you have all "Full Control, Read, Write" etc in "Permissions for SYSTEM" checked to "Allow".

Source https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/questions/1290/i-cant-find-the-mobi-format-ebooks-i-copied-from-my-computer-to-my-kindle-via-u

21 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Interesting, I saw one of these when I was searching yesterday, I'll investigate the others and see what I can determine

as an alternate option you could try emailing them to the kindle tablet like you would a normal kindle and have them converted to the official kindle format

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email

to have them converted when emailing you just need to put the word "convert" in the subject line according to the above link.

The conversion is primarily meant for PDFs but it might work with the mobi format.

OK, I managed to get it to work, apparently I copied the .epub to the kindle, not the .mobi, so of course Kindle couldn't read the .epubs!