Outlook 2019 & Notes

Question

Hi everyone,

I'm using outlook from the office package to manage my e-mail from 2 accounts : 1 for gmail & the other one on outlook. I also use a lot the note feature but I wonder where are they stored actually (despite my pc). I would like to be able to add one of my e-mail accounts in outlook and to bring with it all my notes also. Is that possible? Are they attached' to the e-mail account? Thanks a lot for support.

image.png.2bd21e210cba2b45a046047302c471e8.pngimage.png.b7aa92a8f4ee78515c92aa0bfc4a69a7.png

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure since I don't use the note feature, but I did a quick search. The notes feature is specific to the Outlook client, and they will be saved in to the OST file for your email account. So for example, you could add a Gmail account to Outlook and create notes for those emails, but they would only be viewable from within Outlook - they wouldn't be uploaded to your Gmail account.

For your question of adding an account and moving your notes to that account, the only thing I can think of would be if there is some sort of copy or move feature within the notes module, allowing you to click on a note and say "copy/move to <account x>." But again, those notes would only show for that account within Outlook, they wouldn't appear in your emails if you went to gmail.com.

I'm not at my work computer so I don't have Outlook in front of me until Monday, but if you're still looking on Monday I'll be happy to take a look myself.

Hi @Nick H.

Would be great to find out a way to move them from one station to another..

I wonder what really happens if the ssd dies.. will take with it all (in terms of notes).

Well, there's also OneNote from Office.. I'll research if has cloud features even the one from Outlook seems pretty..handy.

45 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Hi @Nick H.

Would be great to find out a way to move them from one station to another..

To do that, I think the only option would be to convert the OST file to a PST file and then import the PST file on the other computer. But that will probably come with other issues and do more harm than good.

For what you want, I think you're right to look at OneNote. It offers plenty of functionality like what you're looking for, and I think there is some form of integration with Outlook - but again, this is something I can check tomorrow. The in-built notes option for Outlook seems to be more of an on-the-fly note taking module, something to quickly jot something down and then delete once you've finished with it.

I've just had a look on Outlook (I'm using the 365 apps so newer than 2019) but if you right click on the notes and then properties it should tell you where they're stored. Since I'm using a Hotmail address, the location is displayed as \\email-address which is what I'd expect. If you sign into your Outlook address on another device, do the notes just appear?