Interview Question opinion wanted

I had a zoom interview with the dept manager on monday and sent him a thank you email saying how interested i am in the position. He said he was hoping to make a decision on yesterday or today but it might not be until early next week. Since it is mid day friday now, do u think it is a good idea to reiterate my interest again in a another email today just to let him know i am very interested in getting the position?

Tour thoughts plz?

TIA

Just my personal opinion and probably isn't applicable to all industries, but it usually isn't a good idea to show desperation to a potential employer. It leaves the door open to them lowballing you on a job offer, knowing that you really want the role. If they want to offer you a job, you'll obviously find out, sending emails isn't going to change anything :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think I have ever sent a thank you email, or a followup to see if they have made a decision. I've thanked them for their time before leaving the interview and left it at that, figuring that there is nothing else that I can do to sway their decision. That's not to say it's a bad thing to send the emails, just that I haven't done it.

The only time I would consider sending such an email is if I had another offer but I would prefer the first position. I may write a brief email informing them that I had received an offer, but that if they were still considering me for the position I would prefer to work for them. I'm not being pushy, just updating them on my situation.

Another question concerning interviews... I am about to interview for a company next week and they want me to come in for the interviews instead of doing it by zoom, MS teams...etc because of Covid. Would it be ok to ask for an interview over the internet or should I just go to the interview itself?

Your opinions are most welcomed.  :)

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Another question concerning interviews... I am about to interview for a company next week and they want me to come in for the interviews instead of doing it by zoom, MS teams...etc because of Covid. Would it be ok to ask for an interview over the internet or should I just go to the interview itself?

There is no harm in bringing the situation up with them, especially if you're in a situation where you deal with more at-risk people in your day-to-day life. With that said, I don't think they are obligated to make arrangements to accommodate you (i.e. they don't have to agree to a Zoom meeting). They can say, "tough. Come to the interview or don't stand a chance of getting the job."

1 minute ago, Bruinator said:

Honestly I would almost rather in person interview as opposed to one via a webcam, this way you are able to pickup on some of the unspoken cues (body language) and you will be able to see in person what you are dealing with. What type of job is this interview for? Is it something that you want to do/in your area of expertise?

• Thanks 2

As someone who conducts a lot of interviews; I don't feel that it would be untoward to simply ask what their social distanceing and care strategy is before attending site.

Moreover, if a candidate noted they had reasons they felt their safety would be compromised by attending site, I would absolutely agree to a first-round interview over Zoom/Teams

Zoom interviews suck and I don't think there is much risk in doing an in-person interview unless it's a small company run by an anti-masker or something. LOL

37 minutes ago, Superuser said:

Zoom interviews suck and I don't think there is much risk in doing an in-person interview unless it's a small company run by an anti-masker or something. LOL

Travelling to and from the venue, not knowing the cleaning practices within the venue - that risk assessment not your or my call to make.

1 hour ago, Dick Montage said:

Travelling to and from the venue, not knowing the cleaning practices within the venue - that risk assessment not your or my call to make.

Do we think the company has no cleaning crew or something? Traveling is a risk? Wear a mask and wash/Purell your hands before and after. I wouldn't want the first time see the work place on my first day on the job.

• Facepalm 1

59 minutes ago, Superuser said:

Do we think the company has no cleaning crew or something? Traveling is a risk? Wear a mask and wash/Purell your hands before and after. I wouldn't want the first time see the work place on my first day on the job.

With the information at hand we cannot assume that there is a cleaning crew, if there is a cleaning crew we cannot assume that they are meticulously cleaning the whole site every time someone touches a door handle, a desk or a chair. Traveling is a risk, although reduced if using your own car. But again, you can't assume that they will take a car. What about public transport? Masks are preventative but not miracles. You're not magically immune if you wear a mask.

You can say that you don't think that there is a risk. That does not mean that there isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superuser said:

Do we think the company has no cleaning crew or something?

As I said, if you had read - we don't know these things, and as such it isn't our call to risk assess the situation as such.  Try to read what's said rather than projecting your stance upon a situation.

Traveling is a risk?

Yes, much of the world is in some form of travel restriction at the moment.  You either knew this and are being a prick, or didn't know and are ignorant.

Wear a mask and wash/Purell your hands before and after.

Great ways of mitigating risk.  Informed people also understand that not engaging in non-essential travel is another way.  Once again, you either knew this and are being a prick, or didn't know and are ignorant.

I wouldn't want the first time see the work place on my first day on the job.

If you have a job that would accept you as a candidate after one single video interview without a follow-up conventional interview process... hey sucks to be in your job.

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

With the information at hand we cannot assume that there is a cleaning crew, if there is a cleaning crew we cannot assume that they are meticulously cleaning the whole site every time someone touches a door handle, a desk or a chair. Traveling is a risk, although reduced if using your own car. But again, you can't assume that they will take a car. What about public transport? Masks are preventative but not miracles. You're not magically immune if you wear a mask.

You can say that you don't think that there is a risk. That does not mean that there isn't.

I am pretty sure they have a cleaning crew but no work place cleans the door handles every time it's touched. LOL WTF? If that is one's level of concern then they probably need to take a break from the work force. Regardless, that was my point. You want to check out the work place conditions first hand. Right? I wouldn't believe anything they tell you. I agree on public transit. I would not use it but... If he needs to use public transportation for an interview then he would also need to for going to work. Yes? If it's a remote job than I would ask for a Zoom interview first.

No idea who said masks were miracle products? This what I do know... I wear a mask when go some where indoors, wash my hands, and try to keep my distance. I haven't had a single sniffle since last March. I still go into work five times a week, grocery shop once a week, while periodically dining out and meeting family members. Those precautions would appear to work pretty well. Of course nothing is guaranteed but the risks seem to be minimal if one follows the basic guidelines.

2 hours ago, Dick Montage said:

As I said, if you had read - we don't know these things, and as such it isn't our call to risk assess the situation as such.  Try to read what's said rather than projecting your stance upon a situation.

Yes, much of the world is in some form of travel restriction at the moment.  You either knew this and are being a prick, or didn't know and are ignorant.

Great ways of mitigating risk.  Informed people also understand that not engaging in non-essential travel is another way.  Once again, you either knew this and are being a prick, or didn't know and are ignorant.

If you have a job that would accept you as a candidate after one single video interview without a follow-up conventional interview process... hey sucks to be in your job.

Ummmm That's up to OP to add more details if needed. I answered based on what he said.

Travel restrictions you say?  I am going to embarrass you right now. THE OP said the company asked him to come in for an in-person interview so that must mean ...wait for it...that there is no travel restrictions where he lives. I would assume if the job was two states away or whatever he would have mentioned that.

Sorry, going to a job interview is NOT non-essential travel to me.

I have have done his dance with you before and we are done. I know you feel safe behind your keyboard and all but there is no reason for the ###### personal remarks in a discussion. There is no need for you to reply to me again.

Edited by Superuser
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, Superuser said:

I am pretty sure they have a cleaning crew

That's up to the OP to add more details ;)

no work place cleans the door handles every time it's touched

Mine currently does

If that is one's level of concern then they probably need to take a break from the work force

Such as maybe not unnecessarily attending an office

You want to check out the work place conditions first hand. Right? I wouldn't believe anything they tell you.

Based upon?  Again, if you don't trust the facilities department of your employer, then that's on you.  Stop projecting.

If he needs to use public transportation for an interview then he would also need to for going to work. Yes?

Nope.  Firstly, there is no established need as there is the question of having a remote interview.  Secondly, many employers are allowing WFH policies until the pandemic is handled better.  Thirdly, we are talking about ESSENTIAL travel, not ALL travel.

No idea who said masks were miracle products?

Nobody did, why did you pull that nuggest out your ass?

This what I do know... I wear a mask when go some where indoors, wash my hands, and try to keep my distance. I haven't had a single sniffle since last March. I still go into work five times a week, grocery shop once a week, while periodically dining out and meeting family members. Those precautions would appear to work pretty well. Of course nothing is guaranteed but the risks seem to be minimal if one follows the basic guidelines.

Want a badge?  A medal? A pat on the back?  None of what you said matters one bit.  He is asking about whether it's ok to ask for a remote interview - not about how you and your family choose to act.

I answered based on what he said.

And then invented a whole load of your own stuff too.

Travel restrictions you say?  I am going to embarrass you right now. THE OP said the company asked him to come in for an in-person interview so that must mean ...wait for it...that there is no travel restrictions where he lives.

Why must it mean that?  I have seen a fair few people break travel restrictions both of their own volition and upon request of others.  The only person you've embarassed is yourself so far.

I would assume if the job was two states away or whatever he would have mentioned that.

So you "assume" and yet you "I based on what he said."  Keep on embarassing yourself...

Sorry, going to a job interview is NOT non-essential travel to me.

To you.  You.  Not him.  Not me.  Not the prospective employer.  Not his family.  You.  Someone who has no bearing upon any of the situation in your single-interview unclean-workplace job.

I have have done his dance with you before and we are done.

You don't get to post nonsense and then call it over, sorry - that's not how it works.

I know you feel safe behind your keyboard and all but there is no reason for the ###### personal remarks in a discussion.

I feel safe all the time, thanks to a caring employer who has put the risks of the employees higher than those of having people on site.  Also because some idiot on the web poses no threat either remotely or in person.

no reason for the ###### personal remarks in a discussion

"I know you feel safe behind your keyboard" is a personal remark.

There is no need for you to reply to me again.

There was no need for you to project your situation onto this persons concerns over travel, and yet - here you are.

However, we are done now.  I shan't see your pointless reply.

Nick, just for clarity (and not in defense of Superuser) in the US, I dont think any states are currently imposing any intrastate travel restrictions. Some still require self isolation for 10 days or so if you travel from another state but even that is limited to less than a handful of states.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Biscuits Brown said:

Nick, just for clarity (and not in defense of Superuser) in the US, I dont think any states are currently imposing any intrastate travel restrictions. Some still require self isolation for 10 days or so if you travel from another state but even that is limited to less than a handful of states.

However, globally many are. I’m seeing nothing that says this is in the US and since this is a “global pandemic” I’ve not shown any national bias.

The point I am making is: it is utterly fair to ask if an initial interview could be remotely handled given the current situation. We don’t know enough about any of the situations to make the risk assessment for Bruinator, and someone actively denying that there’s any issue based upon ridiculous arguments is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dick Montage said:

However, globally many are. I’m seeing nothing that says this is in the US and since this is a “global pandemic” I’ve not shown any national bias.

The point I am making is: it is utterly fair to ask if an initial interview could be remotely handled given the current situation. We don’t know enough about any of the situations to make the risk assessment for Bruinator, and someone actively denying that there’s any issue based upon ridiculous arguments is just plain wrong.

And I agree wholeheartedly with you that there is nothing wrong with asking for a virtual interview. Based on previous Bruinator posts, some users know he is in the US however your statements are in line since that wasn't voiced in his initial post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dick Montage said:

That's ...

I can't believe you wrote all that nonsense (only made it half way thru). The name Dick checks out. BLOCKED

Edited by Superuser