• 0

Local Windows 10 Photo Manager


Question

+Dick Montage

Hi

 

I'm looking for a desktop app (so no Flickr or such) to run on a Windows 10 box that can manage my photo library.  I'd like to tag, geotag, organise and maybe facially recognise photos.  Does anyone have any app suggestions please?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
+devHead
1 hour ago, Dick Montage said:

Hi

 

I'm looking for a desktop app (so no Flickr or such) to run on a Windows 10 box that can manage my photo library.  I'd like to tag, geotag, organise and maybe facially recognise photos.  Does anyone have any app suggestions please?

 

Thanks

digiKam is a great piece of sofrware - it's open source and has all those features you mention.

https://www.digikam.org/

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
1 minute ago, devHead said:

digiKam is a great piece of sofrware - it's open source and has all those features you mention.

https://www.digikam.org/

Thank you I shall check it out 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
19 hours ago, devHead said:

digiKam is a great piece of sofrware - it's open source and has all those features you mention.

https://www.digikam.org/

Hi

 

So I gave it a try.  To say that it's buggy would be something of an understatement - it crashed out 3 times within half an hour...

 

Obviously rather than throw my entire library at it, I used just 1 folder with about 20 photos.  It was horrendously unresponsive, the mapping is somewhat broken (no Google valid API so it displays errors), it refused to geotag the photos no matter what I tried.

 

It seems odd that there's nothing really that great out there (that I've found, at least) for this.  Everything wants to be a cloud app!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H

you could try downloading Picasa. though it may be retired I'm told the offline functions of it still work quite well.

 

here's some alternatives that may be worth a look to see if they fit your needs as well https://beebom.com/picasa-alternatives/

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+devHead
5 hours ago, Dick Montage said:

Hi

 

So I gave it a try.  To say that it's buggy would be something of an understatement - it crashed out 3 times within half an hour...

 

Obviously rather than throw my entire library at it, I used just 1 folder with about 20 photos.  It was horrendously unresponsive, the mapping is somewhat broken (no Google valid API so it displays errors), it refused to geotag the photos no matter what I tried.

 

It seems odd that there's nothing really that great out there (that I've found, at least) for this.  Everything wants to be a cloud app!

Bro, there are tons of apps out there, it is just a matter of finding one that works well.  Frankly, for digital management and organization of your photos, you could download and use Adobe Bridge.  It is free and super stable.  There are dozens of articles out there with different suggestions for what you're looking for.  I would say that posting this question in a forum is the most time-consuming and tedious way of going about that, as opposed to just doing some searches on Google or YouTube.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
8 hours ago, devHead said:

Bro, there are tons of apps out there, it is just a matter of finding one that works well.  Frankly, for digital management and organization of your photos, you could download and use Adobe Bridge.  It is free and super stable.  There are dozens of articles out there with different suggestions for what you're looking for.  I would say that posting this question in a forum is the most time-consuming and tedious way of going about that, as opposed to just doing some searches on Google or YouTube.  

I have been searching - years ago (when Picasa died) and again recently; nothing really tickled my taint, so I thought I would ask for recommendations.  Apologies if you feel I have misused the forum - I thank you for your former recommendation and should it have been stable it looked like a good set of features.

 

I decided to bite the bullet and try Lightroom. It is overkill but does as I need.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+virtorio

ACDSee Photo Studio. It's not free, but I prefer it to Lightroom.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
1 minute ago, virtorio said:

ACDSee Photo Studio. It's not free, but I prefer it to Lightroom.

I did take a look at that. It seems a bit overblown in so far as it seemed to have a fair amount of photoshop type tools to it, but I’ll give it another go :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
goretsky

Hello,

Perhaps IrfanView?  It was mentioned recently here on Neowin: https://www.neowin.net/news/irfanview-457/

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
1 hour ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Perhaps IrfanView?  It was mentioned recently here on Neowin: https://www.neowin.net/news/irfanview-457/

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Irfanview is an organiser? I’ve only ever known it as a very fast viewer. Thanks, I’ll take a look :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Starry

I don't really know if it'll fit your needs (very possibly not) but I feel like EdgeRover is interesting enough to mention.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+Dick Montage
4 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I don't really know if it'll fit your needs (very possibly not) but I feel like EdgeRover is interesting enough to mention.

Not sure it's what I need here, but a nice front-end nonetheless. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.