BMW E46 1999 Coupe - repair funtimes money

159428897_10225422158769266_8840418802266227507_n.jpg

Last week the gear shift shaft snapped off leaving me in the middle of the road with nowhere to go, luckily a towing company arrived in around 20mins because one of their drivers drove past and I flagged him down and a call was made. Only €65 to fix incl labor, but the tow to the garage was €150 :( 

20210305_153059.jpg

^ also taken last week.

• Steven P. changed the title to BMW E46 1999 Coupe - repair funtimes money
30 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

Sad times. At least it was a cheap repair. Could have been worse; you could have had an Alfa!

Haha yeah, I almost bought one in the 90s!

When I came home from working in the USA, I had narrowed my options down to a 147 Lusso or a 3L V6 S-Type. I went with the S. It was after that, everyone said things like "Good call, Alfa's are unreliable and expensive to repair". I'd never heard of an "Alfa day" until I nearly bought one.

19 minutes ago, He's Dead Jim said:

I served my time as a BMW tech, circa 1975-1981,  I've been out of the motor trade since then, but I fondly remember those days.

I did (mostly) my own repairs on my E21 323i Coupe in the 90's with a Haynes manual 😛 These days I leave it to the garage, I don't have time to worry about a compatible computer program to reset alerts in the car management system Lol.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I don't have time to worry about a compatible computer program to reset alerts in the car management system Lol.

I'm in a Volvo XC60 Facebook group (I have a 60), and of the questions around engine fault lights, all the answers start with ODBII scanner...