INTERNET Speed

Question

Bruinator

Hi,

I just increased my ISP connection to Gigabit speed. I have an ASUS x550za laptop and here are specs https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x550za-wb11-15-6-a10-7400p-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/ .

If I ordered an external USB Network adapter such as this https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200Mbps-Wireless-USB-Wifi-Adapter-Dongle-Dual-Band-2-4G-5GHz-w-Antenna-802-11AC/353422795829?hash=item5249a3e435:g:ccoAAOSwQjNgLDLB

Would I be able to get speeds of 800 Mbps and greater on my laptop?

19 answers to this question

Mindovermaster

On WiFi? I highly doubt it...

• Thanks 1
Bruinator
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

On WiFi? I highly doubt it...

yes on WIFI. What type of speed would I get on it?

Mindovermaster
11 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

yes on WIFI. What type of speed would I get on it?

What's the most you could get on wireless? was that 155Mb or something? IDK, I'm not a network guy. It's only what I've heard around these parts.

@BudManwould be your best bet for network answers...

• Thanks 1
adrynalyne
1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

Hi,

I just increased my ISP connection to Gigabit speed. I have an ASUS x550za laptop and here are specs https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x550za-wb11-15-6-a10-7400p-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/ .

If I ordered an external USB Network adapter such as this https://www.ebay.com/itm/1200Mbps-Wireless-USB-Wifi-Adapter-Dongle-Dual-Band-2-4G-5GHz-w-Antenna-802-11AC/353422795829?hash=item5249a3e435:g:ccoAAOSwQjNgLDLB

No.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Bruinator
Just now, adrynalyne said:

No.

what type of speeds will i most likely get plz?

adrynalyne
6 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

what type of speeds will i most likely get plz?

Depends on your AP, but even if it’s a good one, I wouldn’t expect much more than ~400-450 max. That’s where I hover with 3 APs on gigabit fiber. 

• Thanks 1
Bruinator

Depends on your AP, but even if it’s a good one, I wouldn’t expect much more than ~400-450 max. 

Lot better than 50 i am getting now with internal one.

Question 2. Since i have an internal card that came with my laptop and if i used an external usb network adapter, would I need to disable the internal card in order for the external to take over do do i just need to connect external and plug and play will take care of it plz?

+jnelsoninjax

On question 2, it will most likely disable on it's own, but I would disable it to make sure. Now a question for you: why not use an Ethernet cable and plug into the modem/router? You will get max speeds that way.

• Thanks 1
Bruinator
2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

On question 2, it will most likely disable on it's own, but I would disable it to make sure. Now a question for you: why not use an Ethernet cable and plug into the modem/router? You will get max speeds that way.

Coz i use my laptop in 2 different rooms hence using wifi.

wakjak

what speed is the wifi in the laptop? Why do you need to get an external wifi adapter?

• Like 1
Bruinator
7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

what speed is the wifi in the laptop? Why do you need to get an external wifi adapter?

41/41

+BudMan

What wifi router/ap are you using?  First things first - when you plug in a wire to your router what do you get?  Is this device something you bought, supplied by the isp?

AC is never going to see gig.. AX ok maybe.. but not AC, not from couple of streams you could get from some usb adapter..

So from that link you posted, model number JW-812AC shows 1300, which is adding the 2.4 and the 5.. Which you can not use together.. So they list 5ghz at 867 PHY..  which is 2 streams 80 vht.. So if your router or AP can do that.. Say 50% real world of that so your in the 400ish range at best.  But I find it hard to believe some $10 usb dongle is going to get that to be honest..

And again comes down to what your router or AP can actually do as well..

What is the model number(s) of the hardware you are using to supply wifi, and whatever that is never going to be able to exceed what you can get via a wire.. Maybe the router your using can not even do gig? 

If you have gig internet, the only way your going to get close to that via wireless is have a AX, both on your Router/AP side and on the client side..

• Thanks 1
burgesssally787
On 18/03/2021 at 00:31, Bruinator said:

Hi,

I just increased my ISP connection to Gigabit speed. I have an ASUS x550za laptop and here are specs https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x550za-wb11-15-6-a10-7400p-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/ employee monitoring software

I can say for sure that this router will not give you the speed you want///

adrynalyne
8 minutes ago, burgesssally787 said:

I can say for sure that this router will not give you the speed you want///

Which router?

Steven P.

Which router?

Yes, what does he mean @adrynalyne?

mkol

If you wanted to get high speed than cable connection is the best. Cat6a or Cat 7. That way you will get full blown 1gb on the Laptop and desktop. With the Wireless you will get around half I guess.  But don't quote me on it. 

grunger106

I have 1Gbps/1Gbps FTTP,
Wireless duties are handled by a cluster of 3x Aruba IAP 325, all celling mounted around my house, each with a 1Gbps uplink into a HPe 2530 and then into the rest of my network which isn't relevant here. 
IAP325s are 4x4:4 dual radio units, they're located in as best an area as I can do physically, the output power is tuned to minimise massive overlaps, sticky client detection is enabled, band steering is enabled

Speeds on the wire as you expect are 1Gbps,

Speeds over wireless, I've just tested my S21 (dunno what the antenna layout is on an S21 - 1x1 maybe 2x2?) - 449Mbps/431Mbps as of 30 seconds ago.

2.4Ghz only devices or devices where it's pushed it on to 2.4Gz are 150Mbps

450 is as good as you're going to get on AC

bikeman25

As a Comcast Gigabit Customer with XB7 Gateway that is AX capable,  and WIreless PCie Ax Capable card,  i was getting one floor above average of around 737mbps Download, and 41 Upload,  Til Yesterday when started having alot of Interference from Neighbor Wifi in the area, and connection link speed dropped down to 100mbps, and speed tests were crap,   Contacted Comcast Reddit support, and got it back up at least on WIfi C 5ghz Mode for now.  

Eventually wiring my Gaming Desktop up with Cat6 flat ethernet cable, and guess forgetting trying to get as much as i can wireless,    Laptop is wifi 5 capable, averages around 450-500 at times

Mindovermaster
4 hours ago, bikeman25 said:

As a Comcast Gigabit Customer with XB7 Gateway that is AX capable,  and WIreless PCie Ax Capable card,  i was getting one floor above average of around 737mbps Download, and 41 Upload,  Til Yesterday when started having alot of Interference from Neighbor Wifi in the area, and connection link speed dropped down to 100mbps, and speed tests were crap,   Contacted Comcast Reddit support, and got it back up at least on WIfi C 5ghz Mode for now.  

Eventually wiring my Gaming Desktop up with Cat6 flat ethernet cable, and guess forgetting trying to get as much as i can wireless,    Laptop is wifi 5 capable, averages around 450-500 at times

Bikeman, you have your own thread, let him see it.