Network Connection Fails Between Desktop and Laptop

Before I tried using a usb adapter on my laptop I was able to connect to my desktop which is on my network but now I cant. What do I need to do so I can access my desktop from my laptop plz?

Thx

Edited by Jason S.
Changed thread title for accuracy

What do you mean by "but now I can't". What happens? Error messages?

Also, what OS version is on both?

12 minutes ago, xrobwx71 said:

What do you mean by "but now I can't". What happens? Error messages?

Also, what OS version is on both?

When I clicked on network icon i use to see both Laptop and desktop listed. Now I only see my laptop listed. Windows 10 pro on both.

Go to services (start run services.msc) on the machine that does not show up, change this service from Manual to Automatic (it may say Automatic Trigger Start like below) and start it.

image.png.5f54d77df7219b05a54f2d276171db82.png

11 minutes ago, betax said:

Go to services (start run services.msc) on the machine that does not show up, change this service from Manual to Automatic (it may say Automatic Trigger Start like below) and start it.

image.png.5f54d77df7219b05a54f2d276171db82.png

Did that and same result

17 minutes ago, betax said:

Can you access the machine by going to start > run \\COMPUTERNAME or \\IPADDRESS?

yes by computer name and by IPaddress.

Edited by Bruinator

Please, we can't all be on 24/7. Be patient. Wait at least 24 hours before double/tripple posting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jason S. changed the title to Network Connection Fails Between Desktop and Laptop

Open Services - Look for Network Location Awareness - Is it set to automatic? Is it started? If not start it and set it to automatic and reboot.  On both computers...

Also on both computers, Click start type Network Status  and click Network Status when it appears. Are they both on a Private Network, make sure both are private.

1 hour ago, xrobwx71 said:

Open Services - Look for Network Location Awareness - Is it set to automatic? Is it started? If not start it and set it to automatic and reboot.  On both computers...

Also on both computers, Click start type Network Status  and click Network Status when it appears. Are they both on a Private Network, make sure both are private.

Tried this and still not working correctly.

9 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Tried this and still not working correctly.

Also, When i click on network icon on desktop i use to see both computers there, then just the PC i was typing on, now i dont see either. Weird.

Also, both computer are hard wired now. Only 1 was before.

Edited by Bruinator

On 18/03/2021 at 16:37, Bruinator said:

both machines look like this 

image.thumb.png.e5e4544a792fba94b66f0c25c09a82d8.png

image.thumb.png.8ad986936871435719b4639b4bd4c980.png

image.thumb.png.25307b52bd1ca8250890e81143a6e5db.png

When under public folder sharing be turned off or on plz? I tried both ways and it doesnt help my issue.

image.thumb.png.dc011f33723d155382d795fd1aefdd71.png

If you can access it via computer name and IP just map a drive or create a shortcut.

When I access drives on the network a good chunk I have mapped and the rest  I always just do windows key +r and then \\computer name\share name.