Setting custom icons in Big Sur

38 minutes ago, allan.nyholm said:

I have not uploaded a screenshot here for some time. This is a repost of what I uploaded to MacRumors Forums..

My humble contribution to this thread this early April

Wallpaper is my color mod of SPLINES_1 available from here (name a fair price) https://gumroad.com/jmdenis

Bowtie theme is one of my older ones that I thought needed a showcase for this - because it fits well. I don't think it's released in this appearance anywhere yet.

And I doubt anyone uses much of Bowtie anyway anymore.

Icons are my own - still in progress - drive is re-made earlier today with better lower pixel recognition for that 16px and 32px icon states.

The system icons are made possible to change, even with SIP still active, by using IconChamp. It's in beta and available on the macEnhance Discord server at least.

The pinned messages for the IconChamp channel contains useful information to allow testing and change the system icons; including all the Home folders and System applications.

IconChamp screenshot is included as a thumbnail - showing the Home folder section

617169811_ScreenShot2021-04-04at19_59_16.thumb.jpg.75fe598a5dcea28875f158e6cdf8ef65.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 20.10.56.png

You shouldn’t need icon champ unless Big Sur changed something. 

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You shouldn’t need icon champ unless Big Sur changed something. 

The unless is why IconChamp is needed for Big Sur. 

LiteIcon developer has called it quits for LiteIcon on Big Sur.

IconChamp is needed in its place. 

2 hours ago, allan.nyholm said:

The unless is why IconChamp is needed for Big Sur. 

LiteIcon developer has called it quits for LiteIcon on Big Sur.

IconChamp is needed in its place. 

Thats not what I meant.

I meant that you can just copy and paste an image onto a current icon and replace it. It also works in Big Sur. It’s been like this for as long as I can remember. 

Are you using it to replace large amounts of icons or something?

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.39.06 PM.png

Oh my. You are absolutely right.

How did I not know this!?

It is good to learn something new after 13 years of using Mac computers. Thank you for your guidance. :) 

Btw. Have you seen the website for IconChamp? The website is hidden a little since it’s only in beta. But it’s  pretty well done

https://www.macenhance.com/iconchamp.html

I wrote a rather snarky comment that I of course didn’t publish.

In that comment I went after you for treating me like a dumb person but in much harder language.

I use IconChamp to change the whole system and its icons. You can’t do that with any known programs other than the one mentioned. 

I know you don’t know me and only see me commenting once in a blue moon. That is why I felt on edge.

The belittling of your your previous comment I could have been without as it shows what is so often the case online. Trying to be right without any further contest. I am the same as you can read in my comment above. 

With SIP on there is not much to be done in terms of changing system icons like the system folders. Or the default applications like the icon for Safari or the like. Please correct me again if I am mistaken about that.

I feel awful having to go through all this commenting to describe what is essentially found out via online sources out of Neowin. 

And yes. I did answer your question on the unless Big Sur changed something. It changed a lot in that regard.

Edited by allan.nyholm

14 minutes ago, allan.nyholm said:

I wrote a rather snarky comment that I of course didn’t publish.

In that comment I went after you for treating me like a dumb person but in much harder language.

I use IconChamp to change the whole system and its icons. You can’t do that with any known programs other than the one mentioned. 

I know you don’t know me and only see me commenting once in a blue moon. That is why I felt on edge.

The belittling of your your previous comment I could have been without as it shows what is so often the case online. Trying to be right without any further contest. I am the same as you can read in my comment above. 

With SIP on there is not much to be done in terms of changing system icons like the system folders. Or the default applications like the icon for Safari or the like. Please correct me again if I am mistaken about that.

With SIP off you still can’t change the Safari icon or system folders.

I feel awful having to go through all this commenting to describe what is essentially found out via online sources out of Neowin. 

And yes. I did answer your question on the unless Big Sur changed something. It changed a lot in that regard.

Belittling? What in the hell are you talking about? I was just having a discussion on changing icons and wasn’t sure if you were aware. Relax, no malice was intended. 

Thanks for replying and clearing up what I was asking, I guess. 

Edited by adrynalyne

It was a good discussion.

I act the way I typed because I felt threatened on my abilities on not being believed.

I get carried away in writing because it’s easy and I can easily upset other people or get myself riled up over nothing.

I am not taking anything back and it will forever be in writing just how elitist I am. It’s not a good trait.

I want to at least be kind now and write that it nothing personal and that I do this to all the time.

Time to change that around for me? Only by suicide I guess. Then it will go the way of the wind 

• 2 months later...