Is it safe to use an extension cord with computer products?

I ask because I have a monitor with a really short power cord, maybe 6 feet total length, and where I envision placing it would require an extension cord to reach to the nearest outlet. Best guess is 6 to 7 feet just to the floor, and maybe another foot to the power strip/outlet, and it is 12 inches from the power connection on the monitor to the desk.

Yes it is safe, but I would advise that you use a fused extension strip. My two have overvoltage protection https://www.bol.com/nl/p/belkin-stekkerdoos-met-4-uitgangen-2-usb-poorten-2-4a-overspanningsbeveiliging/9200000035799271/?s2a=

All my gear simply don't fit into the two available sockets, so I have to use power strips. These days you can even find them with USB ports, like I have.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Yes it is safe, but I would advise that you use a fused extension strip. My two have overvoltage protection https://www.bol.com/nl/p/belkin-stekkerdoos-met-4-uitgangen-2-usb-poorten-2-4a-overspanningsbeveiliging/9200000035799271/?s2a=

All my gear simply don't fit into the two available sockets, so I have to use power strips. These days you can even find them with USB ports, like I have.

Thanks, however I can't read dutch... :D  but I get the idea of what to look for.

2 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Can't you just get a longer power cord?

Good question, I have no idea

If it isn't safe for a computer product, it isn't safe for anything else either.

My laptop is plugged into an extension, which plugs into the wall socket.  The wall socket is basically an extension from another room (seriously, you wouldn't believe how this house is wired).

At work we have servers plugged into extensions.

2700 Joules Protection

25 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

2021-04-13 20.12.45.jpg

Oh, that's a proprietary one.

Just do what Linus used to have in his server room. power bar into a power squid into.. :rofl:

As long as the extension cable is well shielded, I doubt you'll have an issue. :)

33 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, that's a proprietary one.

Just do what Linus used to have in his server room. power bar into a power squid into.. :rofl:

As long as the extension cable is well shielded, I doubt you'll have an issue. :)

Yeah, it's an LG UltraGear, it is a good monitor, I just needed a different one for my second display (the LG is heavy and did not stay on the dual arm mount very well), so I am considering using it as a 3rd display or selling it, not sure which way I'll go yet.