Pc won't boot with GPU plaugged into the PCIe slot


Recommended Posts

Pkay

Parts List

CPU - Intel Core i7 11700K 8 Core LGA 1200 3.6Ghz CPU Processor

Mother Board - MSI Z590-A Pro LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard

GPU - ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-O6G-GAMING

RAM - Kingston HyperX 32GB (2x16GB) HX432C16FB3AK2/32 Fury RGB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM

Storage - Samsung 500GB 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD

 

My PC  won't boot when i have my GPU plugged in. If i remove my GPU and plugged my display cable into my mother board it boots. The GPU works as I have taken it out of my old PC and put it into my new one, I have also tried putting the GPU in the second PCIe slot and changed my power supply. I have changed my ram and launched my pc without my SSD, instead using my old hard drive. I have removed the cmos and reset my bios settings and still nothing works. After a small amount of research i have come to the conclusion that my mother board PCIe slot is broken as there have been similar issues with the Z590. If anyone has any advice that would be amazing. Thanks in advance !

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sensi

Strange issue on a somewhat newer machine..
What bios version are you on? Latest release for your mobo is, 7D09v118(Beta version)  2021-04-13.. Could be worth a try 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster

Do you have a spare GPU? Can you test putting that end? Looks like you changed everything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K

Clarify "won't boot."  Does this mean that you get display but it hangs at boot screen or does this mean it turns on but you do not get display at all?

 

Does your EZ Debug display anything?

CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.

DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.

VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.

BOOT - indicates booting device is not detected or fail.

 

What happens (with the 1060 inserted) if you move the display cable to the motherboard?  Does it boot?

 

Odd issue.  I'm guessing you don't have any other cards (GPUs or other PCIe cards) that you can plug into those slots.  I would also be leaning towards a failure of the PCIe slots ... though unusual that both failed (one is fed by the CPU...the other from the chipset) while the mobo is otherwise working properly.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster

Dumb question, but did you connect the power cords to the GFX card? You never mentioned that...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
sava700
44 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Dumb question, but did you connect the power cords to the GFX card? You never mentioned that...

Yeah I was going to ask about power supply in general - no specs mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
hellowalkman

Not really sure TBH but could be a faulty motherboard.

 

Like either the PCIe slot is the problem or maybe the BIOS isn't recognizing dedicated graphics.

 

Could be something else too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster
2 minutes ago, hellowalkman said:

Like either the PCIe slot is the problem or maybe the BIOS isn't recognizing dedicated graphics.

That is very unlikely. However, we're short on options here. So.. 😕

 

Edit: OP, do you have another desktop, or perhaps a friend's that you can test your GFX card on? That will vary out your GFX card. If it works fine on his/your system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pkay
3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That is very unlikely. However, we're short on options here. So.. 😕

 

Edit: OP, do you have another desktop, or perhaps a friend's that you can test your GFX card on? That will vary out your GFX card. If it works fine on his/your system.

Yes i am currently using my GFX card on my current build and it works fine.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pkay
4 hours ago, sava700 said:

Yeah I was going to ask about power supply in general - no specs mentioned.

Yeah i plugged my GFX card in from two different power supplies and the GFX card works on my current PC

Link to post
Share on other sites
Pkay
6 hours ago, Jim K said:

Clarify "won't boot."  Does this mean that you get display but it hangs at boot screen or does this mean it turns on but you do not get display at all?

 

Does your EZ Debug display anything?

CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.

DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.

VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.

BOOT - indicates booting device is not detected or fail.

 

What happens (with the 1060 inserted) if you move the display cable to the motherboard?  Does it boot?

 

Odd issue.  I'm guessing you don't have any other cards (GPUs or other PCIe cards) that you can plug into those slots.  I would also be leaning towards a failure of the PCIe slots ... though unusual that both failed (one is fed by the CPU...the other from the chipset) while the mobo is otherwise working properly.  

The VGA light on my mother board fturns on for 3-5 seconds then turns off.  My PC boots but i don't get any display at all, i currently think i need to get a new mother board as i have but all the other parts into my old build besides the cpu as it's an AMD board. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster
34 minutes ago, Pkay said:

The VGA light on my mother board fturns on for 3-5 seconds then turns off.  My PC boots but i don't get any display at all, i currently think i need to get a new mother board as i have but all the other parts into my old build besides the cpu as it's an AMD board. 

Doesn't matter if it's an AMD CPU, bro. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K
1 hour ago, Pkay said:

The VGA light on my mother board fturns on for 3-5 seconds then turns off.  My PC boots but i don't get any display at all, i currently think i need to get a new mother board as i have but all the other parts into my old build besides the cpu as it's an AMD board. 

Might be best to just RMA the board.  Very weird though ... would have been curious if you got video out from the motherboard with the 1060 plugged in .. and what Windows showed in device manager for said 1060.  

 

Surely Page 15 is set to Auto and Page 17 is set to PEG?

http://download.msi.com/manual/mb/Intel500BIOS.pdf

 

57 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Doesn't matter if it's an AMD CPU, bro. ;)

He moved everything to his old AMD build, except the Intel CPU (because duh), and everything works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jaredsusan

I am having the exact same issuse.

 

Motherboard turns on with out gpu.  As soon as I install gpu power supply will not turn on. Some kinda short? Or cross connection im guessing . Will post more if I figure it out. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
helpifIcan

Make sure the weight of the board or just pushing it in is not bowing the MB and shorting against the case. Might be a missing standoff or one that has become misaligned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.