Hammock: A Good Idea?

I don't know why I'm writing this at 1AM, but, anyway.. Probably because I'm not tired.

Anywhoo..

I'm naturally a slide-sleeper. I can also sleep on my back, but that's only when I'm totally exhausted.

I know I move around a lot in bed. My Dad knows this. Haha. Probably because theres too many pressure points. Also, I tend to nap a few hours in the afternoon, too. Could this sleep issue at night make me drowsy during the day?

I've been looking online at alternatives, and I came across this: https://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Double-Hammock-Space-Saving-Tropical/dp/B004YJCP7O/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=indoor+hammock+bed&qid=1619590042&sr=8-1

It has 21,000 reviews, and 87% of them are 5-stars. Like, can't argue with that, right?

Will that hammock help me? I've watched many video reviews on that product and video reviews on "the right ways to use a hammock". Out of all the people here, one of you guys gotta be using a hammock..

• Mindovermaster changed the title to Hammock: A Good Idea?
  • 4 weeks later...

uh, one month bump... (forgot I made this thread)

On 22/05/2021 at 22:23, jnelsoninjax said:

Well according to Fakespot 80% of the reviews are legit, so I would say go for it! What do you have to lose? :)

Money? 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, freedonX said:

Just to be in the same boat. You want to buy this to avoid/decrease back problems?

One of the reasons, yeah. I read that it's easier to fall asleep, and on your back, too. I'm normally a side sleeper.

On 28/05/2021 at 13:40, Mindovermaster said:

One of the reasons, yeah. I read that it's easier to fall asleep, and on your back, too. I'm normally a side sleeper.

I've tried this 10min video of several back excercises. Even though some might feel dumb, when you got pain, a little twist can do the trick.
It's a in spanish though, but alas the video is pretty straight forward.

Can't comment about your initial question. Hope this can help part of your root cause

2 hours ago, freedonX said:

I've tried this 10min video of several back excercises. Even though some might feel dumb, when you got pain, a little twist can do the trick.
It's a in spanish though, but alas the video is pretty straight forward.

Can't comment about your initial question. Hope this can help part of your root cause

That's impossible... I'm not a skinny freak. Not heavy either, but I ain't doing that..

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's impossible... I'm not a skinny freak. Not heavy either, but I ain't doing that..

Think of it as Yoga. The goal of Yoga isn't the full stretch, the goal is the actual stretch itself. Even if it's a couple of inches, that's the begining of moving the muscle.

I'm 110kilos, about 240lbs

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought it off Amazon today. I'll let you guys know how it is once I get it ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I've been sleeping on this thing for 3 weeks now. I have not one night wanted to sleep on my bed. My back has thanked me. I sleep longer and sounder.

There's no worry about falling off, as this thing cacoons you. Like you in your mother's arms. Sort of that feel. You have a barrier on your left, right, and bottom.

I read several videos on YT, about how to sleep in it, correctly. Like they say, don't lay straight on it. Sleep at a 30* angle.

Getting in/out of it? Simple. Just like how you get in/out a normal bed.. Just have to make a little jump when getting out.

If anyone is looking at getting one, get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vivere-Double-Hammock-Space-Saving-Tropical/dp/B004YJCP7O/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=indoor+hammock+bed&qid=1619590042&sr=8-1

Availability is kinda low for some designs, but choose what works best for you!

You sleep on that thing in your house? When I saw the title of this topic, I thought you were talking outside between trees! :D

Regardless, glad it did what you wanted it to do and if it really helped your back out, I might have to think about getting one also. I haven't slept in my bed in several years after hurting back. I sleep on a reclining chair, which although doesn't hurt my back, doesn't help it either. If I try to sleep in a bed, I want to lay on side which REALLY messes up my back fast.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

You sleep on that thing in your house? When I saw the title of this topic, I thought you were talking outside between trees! :D

Regardless, glad it did what you wanted it to do and if it really helped your back out, I might have to think about getting one also. I haven't slept in my bed in several years after hurting back. I sleep on a reclining chair, which although doesn't hurt my back, doesn't help it either. If I try to sleep in a bed, I want to lay on side which REALLY messes up my back fast.

Yeah, in my room. One end going into my closet. But I'll shortly move that.

Yeah, it really does save your back. It's like sleeping on air, not a bulky mattress. Plus there's no pressure points to keep you up at night.

I used to twist and turn and twist in turn all night in bed. In this hammock, I stay in one place. I still move a little, yes, but the hammock kinda restrains me.

It should work for you. If it doesn't change you life, you can always send it back. :)

Also, the stand is sturdy af... ;)

Wow that's cool.

This hammock was in my Amazon wishlist for over a year now. I will have to try it now....

I am 6'6 (2m) tall - so I doubt I will fit correctly - but with Prime I was always return

4 hours ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Wow that's cool.

This hammock was in my Amazon wishlist for over a year now. I will have to try it now....

I am 6'6 (2m) tall - so I doubt I will fit correctly - but with Prime I was always return

The hammock is about 9' long, so you will have 0 issues.

I had my eye on this for around a year. I just finally got it, because:

1. It was in stock finally

2. It was on sale for $100

Looked it up just now. It's on sale for $80 (orig $120). Go and get it, boys!

12 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

The hammock is about 9' long, so you will have 0 issues.

I had my eye on this for around a year. I just finally got it, because:

1. It was in stock finally

2. It was on sale for $100

Looked it up just now. It's on sale for $80 (orig $120). Go and get it, boys!

$125 USD for Canada in Tropical color only. Sold other colors available but at least extra 40 on top and long delivery

I might have to wait longer.  As Tropical color does not exactly turn me on

6 minutes ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

$125 USD for Canada in Tropical color only. Sold other colors available but at least extra 40 on top and long delivery

I might have to wait longer.  As Tropical color does not exactly turn me on

I originally wanted the Island Breeze, but it wasn't available. So I just got that one.

Found this funny. "$125 USD for Canada" USD doesn't equal Canadian dollar. ;)

On 09/07/2021 at 09:58, Mindovermaster said:

I originally wanted the Island Breeze, but it wasn't available. So I just got that one.

Found this funny. "$125 USD for Canada" USD doesn't equal Canadian dollar. ;)

yes sherlock ;)  it is around 150 Canadian, i mentioned it, so you can approximate.

😕anyhow, fabric  that i want is around 300 Canadian, SUNBRELLA

that is what i want , because it is going to be outside and i am not ready for mold and stuff.    so 300 canadian...  😕😕 NOT SO CHEAP ANYOMORE

1 minute ago, E.Worm Jimmy said:

yes sherlock ;)  it is around 150 canadian

😕nyhow, fabric  that i want is around 300 canadian, SUNBRELLA .  that is what i want , because it is going to be outside and i am not ready for mold and stuff.    so 300 canadian...  😕😕a

Cotton is breathable. One person left it out in the rain, and it was dry by next morning. But, do what you think is right ;)

• 5 months later...

Update all:

I've been sleeping in this hammock for 6 months now. It's been an adventure finding just the right position.

My back pain has declined quite a bit, as there are no pressure points.

I've been looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/Wise-Owl-Outfitters-Hammock-Hammocks/dp/B01E3EHRVS/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hammock%2Bmachine%2Bwash&qid=1636956376&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-1&th=1&psc=1

• 1 month later...

Want to re-open this, as I have an issue..

I can get into the hammock OK. I can shift myself to whatever position I want.

The problem is when I am getting out of it.

I 'think' the problem is I don't have the upper strength to get out. Plus with only one good arm, it's hard to push myself up.

Again, I think the problem is the droop in the middle. Or the "banana".

Any pointers bros? I did join a hammock forum, but I can't post anything.. (yeah, I did activate it)

• 1 month later...

Update: This was brought to my attention:

https://hennessyhammock.com/products/scout-classic

That one has a bottom entry. Meaning you don't get into it by the side, you go under. Velcro strap the goes toward the bottom the closes when you lay on it.

It's limit height is 5'9" (I'm 5'4") and it SAYS 200 pounds, but from what they said to me, It uses the same construction as the next one up that is 250. (next one up is for 6', but idc) So I'll be fine..

It just looks about what I am envisioning.

• 3 months later...

Been little over a year sleeping in my hammock. Been some up and downs, but I got it to work.

I recently, a few months ago, got a Hennessy Expedition Zip, and man, was it comfy and easy to use. They said on their website they are out of stock, but they told me they can get me one while their stock builds up.

My Mom was scared that I'd fall off it. But there's really no way you could.. It cocoons you, even if you are a night shifter, it won't matter.

If anyone is considering a hammock to replace your bed, do it. It's the greatest choice of my life.

• 4 months later...

4 month update. Having slept in my Hennessy hammock for 4 months, It's very easy to get in/out of, unlike some other hammocks that droop way too much.

I do plan to get a new stand for it, though. Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sunnydaze-Decor-Universal-Multi-Use-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Hammock-Stand-in-Blue-HH-MHS-BLUE/313097995

Again, if you want a better night's sleep, chose this!

• 1 year later...

Been almost 3 years.. (minus 3-4 months)

And I tell you, it's been quite an adventure.

I've gone through 4 other types of hammocks, and each one I had a problem with..

If you have back pain or pressure points, this is for you.