Radeon HD7870 No Video on Boot

Hello all,

I have done a bit of searching but wanted to get some opinions. A co-worker was troubleshooting a friends PC where there was no video output. He didn't have another computer to test the card in, so I grabbed and tossed it in a spare machine. The same result happens, computer boots up but no video. I removed all the memory except for 1 DIMM. The PC is a known working PC with a weaker video card in the PCI-E slot. I do have a 500W PSU and saw an article saying the recommended is 550W or more, but I assume that is under load. Beyond trying to plug in to another computer, is it safe to assume this card is toast? Thank you kindly!

-D

If you're getting the same results testing in two different towers then yeah I'd say it's safe to assume that 7870 is done for. It's an older card anyway so it's well due for an upgrade. Just wish the GPU market wasn't trash right now :/ 

I figured so, but wanted to get another opinion, just in case I missed something. Yea, it's pretty crazy when even older cards on secondary markets are going for close to their original price!

Agreed.  If the video card doesn't work in two separate systems than it is most likely defective.  I'm assuming you swapped the "weaker video card" with the 7870 in the known-working second computer and no longer got video. 

2 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Agreed.  If the video card doesn't work in two separate systems than it is most likely defective.  I'm assuming you swapped the "weaker video card" with the 7870 in the known-working second computer and no longer got video. 

That's correct, my spare system had a weaker card, which I installed the Radeon card in. In fact, I had another spare GeForce card that I put back in after removing the Radeon and the video came up no problem.

I was kinda hoping to work a little magic on it. Oh well, that's the fun in troubleshooting!

It has DVI, HDMI and Mini-Displayport. I was only able to try DVI & HDMI and neither worked

This card is my co-workers friends card. They have already replaced the computer, he and I were just seeing if we could resurrect it. I may mention this to him and see if he wants to mess with it.